Russian State-Sponsored Doping Scandal: Russia BANNED From The 2018 Winter Olympics!!!

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Thread Index:

Director of Russia's Antidoping Laboratory Exposes State-Sponsored Doping Ring
By REBECCA R. RUIZ and MICHAEL SCHWIRTZ
MAY 12, 2016

13DOPINGweb01SUB-master768-v2.jpg

Dozens of Russian athletes at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, including at least 15 medal winners, were part of a state-run doping program, meticulously planned for years to ensure dominance at the Games, according to the director of the country’s antidoping laboratory at the time.

The director, Grigory Rodchenkov, who ran the laboratory that handled testing for thousands of Olympians, said he developed a three-drug cocktail of banned substances that he mixed with liquor and provided to dozens of Russian athletes, helping to facilitate one of the most elaborate — and successful — doping ploys in sports history.

It involved some of Russia’s biggest stars of the Games, including 14 members of its cross-country ski team and two veteran bobsledders who won two golds.

Russia-Doping-Ring-2014-Sochi-Olympics-02.jpg

The anti-doping laboratory of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games.

In a dark-of-night operation, Russian antidoping experts and members of the intelligence service surreptitiously replaced urine samples tainted by performance-enhancing drugs with clean urine collected months earlier, somehow breaking into the supposedly tamper-proof bottles that are the standard at international competitions, Dr. Rodchenkov said. For hours each night, they worked in a shadow laboratory lit by a single lamp, passing bottles of urine through a hand-size hole in the wall, to be ready for testing the next day, he said.

By the end of the Games, Dr. Rodchenkov estimated, as many as 100 dirty urine samples were expunged.

After The New York Times asked Russian officials to respond to the claims, Russia’s sports minister, Vitaly Mutko, released a statement to the news media calling the revelations “a continuation of the information attack on Russian sport.”

Dr. Rodchenkov described his own work at Sochi as a “strong accomplishment,” the apex of a decade-long effort to perfect Russia’s doping strategy at international competitions.

“We were fully equipped, knowledgeable, experienced and perfectly prepared for Sochi like never before,” he said. “It was working like a Swiss watch.”

After Sochi, Dr. Rodchenkov was awarded the prestigious Order of Friendship by President Vladimir V. Putin.

Six months ago, however, he had a dramatic change in fortune.

13DOPINGweb02-master675.jpg

Grigory Rodchenkov, who ran the Sochi laboratory, said he developed a three-drug cocktail of banned substances that he provided to dozens of Russian athletes

In November, the World Anti-Doping Agency identified Dr. Rodchenkov as the linchpin in what it described as an extensive state-sponsored doping program in Russia, accusing him of extorting money from athletes — the only accusation he denies — as well as covering up positive drug tests and destroying hundreds of urine samples.

After the report came out, Dr. Rodchenkov said, Russian officials forced him to resign. Fearing for his safety, he moved to Los Angeles, with the help of Mr. Fogel.

Back in Russia, two of Dr. Rodchenkov’s close colleagues died unexpectedly in February, within weeks of each other; both were former antidoping officials, one who resigned soon after Dr. Rodchenkov fled the country.

The November report was primarily focused on track and field, but Dr. Rodchenkov described the whole spectrum of Russian sport as tainted by banned substances. Admitting to more than what WADA investigators accused him of, he said it was not hundreds of urine samples that he destroyed but rather several thousand in last-ditch efforts to mask the extent of the country’s doping.

Dr. Rodchenkov said he received the spreadsheet naming athletes on the doping program on Jan. 21, 2014, two weeks before the Games and shortly after he arrived in Sochi to begin work at the Olympic laboratory. It was to be used for reference during competition, Dr. Rodchenkov said, and outlined the competition schedule for each athlete. If any of them won a medal, their urine samples had to be substituted.

Until now, a precise accounting of how Russian officials could have executed such a complex doping operation was not publicly known.

Read the complete report at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/sports/russia-doping-sochi-olympics-2014.html

Last edited:
Out of curiosity does anyone truly care if athletes take PEDs? If so why exactly.

Out of curiosity does anyone truly care if athletes take PEDs? If so why exactly.

Unfair to the people who don't. It's a little ridiculous that an average competitor can take something and end up on top. Essentially forcing others to follow if they want to compete. Even if it was legal you are basically forcing people to take it to be at the highest level. Plus it isn't good for people.

Unfair to the people who don't. It's a little ridiculous that an average competitor can take something and end up on top. Essentially forcing others to follow if they want to compete. Even if it was legal you are basically forcing people to take it to be at the highest level. Plus it isn't good for people.

Come the fuck on. An average competitor will be average no matter the peds they inject. It takes an already 1 in a thousand great athlete near the top for all the juice in the world to Maybe help him to the top. Actually it really good for the people, whats not good is overdosing and mixing shit. We are literally talking about miracle life saving drugs.

As far as ethics, creatine is proven to enhance performance. How fair is it to a athlete from the 3rd world that cant afford it. If there one lessen i took from sports is that there is no fairness at all. You deal and overcome.

I need to believe me and my countrymen are genetically superior to others. PEDs just muddy those waters

Personally i don't care. The stress these athletes put their bodies through is retarded and is also what is needed to break these long standing records that we all love to see be broken. I heard the NFL largely ignores doping and as a result it's a breeding ground for super humans and no one seems to complain about it. Morally i have no issue with it. I wouldn't even mind if the Olympics was completely pro doping.

I bet he gets a cocktail of Chivas and Polonium-210 soon.

Come the fuck on. An average competitor will be average no matter the peds they inject. It takes an already 1 in a thousand great athlete near the top for all the juice in the world to Maybe help him to the top. Actually it really good for the people, whats not good is overdosing and mixing shit. We are literally talking about miracle life saving drugs.

As far as ethics, creatine is proven to enhance performance. How fair is it to a athlete from the 3rd world that cant afford it. If there one lessen i took from sports is that there is no fairness at all. You deal and overcome.

When I said average I meant average as far as professionals are concerned. Not some bum off the street.

I'm not talking about the low dose or skin cream stuff that has medical benefits. I'm talking about taking it for massive physical performance gain. There are many side effects, short term and long term issues. They have done studies on mice that also shows similar things to what has happened to people that use for a while. Cardiovascular issues, liver issues, etc.

There is a massive difference between steroids and creatine. Steroids can add 40 lbs of muscle and decrease body fat by 10+ percent, add massive strength gains of 50-100+ lbs to your max lifts in 6 months.

I care if the athletes are NOT on PEDS. I want it to be against the rules if you're clean. I want drug testing to make sure everyone is on PEDS.

Assuming every athlete used them, no. That may not be the case, though. If PEDs were allowed, my concern is that wealthy athletes would have access to top shelf stuff, while the broke folks would be using the worst. As strange as it sounds, the various sports would almost need program to ensure fairness. Seems to be a weird thought, though.

russians cheated and so did the chinese in beijing
damn no good commie bastards

Rodchenkov might be risking his life by revealing this information—two of his former colleagues mysteriously died within weeks of each other after Rodchenkov left Russia

Any guess as to how the Russian scientists in charge of drug testing mysteriously died? :D

Assuming every athlete used them, no. That may not be the case, though. If PEDs were allowed, my concern is that wealthy athletes would have access to top shelf stuff, while the broke folks would be using the worst. As strange as it sounds, the various sports would almost need program to ensure fairness. Seems to be a weird thought, though.

lol for a hundredth years the wealthy athletes have had better PEDs and still do. And have better nation ass coverage for when they piss hot.

The Olympics are corrupt? Someone call the press!

Back