Russian State-Sponsored Doping Scandal: Russia Banned From The 2018 Winter Olympics

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Russia Banned From 2018 Winter Olympics by I.O.C.
By REBECCA R. RUIZ and TARIQ PANJA | DECEMBER 5, 2017​

Russia’s Olympic team has been barred from the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The country’s government officials are forbidden to attend, its flag will not be displayed at the opening ceremony and its anthem will not sound.

Any athletes from Russia who receive special dispensation to compete will do so as individuals wearing a neutral uniform, and the official record books will forever show that Russia won zero medals.

That was the punishment issued Tuesdayto the proud sports juggernaut that has long used the Olympics as a show of global force but was exposed for systematic doping in previously unfathomable ways. The International Olympic Committee, after completing its own prolonged investigations that reiterated what had been known for more than a year, handed Russia penalties for doping so severe they were without precedent in Olympics history.

The ruling was the final confirmation that the nation was guilty of executing an extensive state-backed doping program. The scheme was rivaled perhaps only by the notorious program conducted by East Germany throughout the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/05/...mes&smtyp=cur&referer=https://t.co/lbc4eQDC2i

I was about to go “You mean there’s a chance for other hockey teams” then I remembered the Czechs, Romanians, Slovaks, and Canucks will still be there.

bravo to the IOC for at least pretending to have some balls over this debacle.

pretty sure Trump pushed it through.

your POTUS

Putin beat him last time at Poppy Hills so he's pissed.

36ib5lw-gif.3558

bravo to the IOC for at least pretending to have some balls over this debacle.

pretty sure Trump pushed it through.

your POTUS

Putin beat him last time at Poppy Hills so he's pissed.
This is the first thing the IOC has done in nearly two decades to restore my faith in them.

Oh, and to all the anti-American rubes who whined when I was pointing out how obvious this was during Sochi (and for roughly two years thereafter)...

tenor.gif

Back