Ryan Garcia vs. Jayson Velez - May 4 Golden Boy on ESPN

so, since garcia didn't ko velez in spectacutlar fashion, does he still get the customary victory threesome with his chubby female fans?

Ryan Garcia got some good experience under the bright lights. But still has a lot of work and development to do. But good to get this kind of work and experience in sooner than later.

<mma4> .

BHOP: Ryan Garcia may not move laterally, but he moves left and right and is moving in circles

Here is Garcia vs a guy who only had 3 pro fights. Doesnt seem like hes improved or changed much in a year:

I certainly didn't see any of the hype in that fight. The kid held all night long. Got warned twice and still kept doing it. Looked like if he opened up he could hurt his opponent pretty easily but he never even tried a sustained attack. It was honestly awful to watch.

Maybe a little less focus on how many instagram followers he has and a little more actual fighting would help.

At this point Gervonta Davis would ruin him.

Here is Garcia vs a guy who only had 3 pro fights. Doesnt seem like hes improved or changed much in a year:

youre going to compare a guy whos had three pro fights to jayson velez?

jayson velez is a solid professional boxer

Fell asleep last night and just watching, now. Did anyone else notice in the pre-fight stuff about the ladies loving him when they showed him working the mitts or hitting the heavy bag he was closing his eyes when he punched? Because I did. That could be problematic. I'm going to start on page 3 and follow along...

I thought Velez was going to be a step up, but he looks pretty slow and plodding in there. Kid looks decent and is fighting with his eyes open, but not sure how much this fight tells us as we enter the 7th.

pretty bad fight...shoulda skipped it and went to bed.

So glad I went to bed and didn't force myself to stay up for this one.
Like @Seano mentioned, this card was kind of a letdown.
Just finished. Kid looks decent and had no problem going 10, has some nice skills. Not sure that was a test, though. Unless he's so good he made Velez look that bad, but...

it fizzled out at the end.

At the end???
I saw a guy totally quit in the first bout and then a female fight came on and then this one. Did I miss something good that happened earlier? Or was it just those three bouts?

At the end???
I saw a guy totally quit in the first bout and then a female fight came on and then this one. Did I miss something good that happened earlier? Or was it just those three bouts?

It was a shit card which is pretty rare for the Stub Hub.

That Ryan kid showed that he doesn't know how to fight a pressure opponent yet. When Velez came forward punching all he could do was hold on for dear life. His inside fighting was shit. He needs his opponent to either stand and trade or run from him.

Like B-Hop said, that performance is going to have guys lining up wanting a shot at him now before he learns how to fight on the inside.

im saying garcia couldnt handle a guy with 3 pro fights let alone velez.

Dude outweighed Ryan by at least 20lbs, and is an extremely aggressive fighter who weight bullies to score insta ko's. Ryan handled himself well & probably wasn't expecting a true fight and a fighter who uses many dirty roughhouse tactics who also outweighed him by 20lbs.

I've boxed that guy 4-5 times actually. It was always rough work & the big gloves & headgear give confidence and make it more difficult (+ with the weight advantage) to discourage with punches, a few of those hooks Ryan landed would have been KO shots in a fight.

He beat Velez easily, which is impressive at his age without a doubt. He definitely has clear flaws that need to be addressed & fixed, but he still has the potential to be a superstar & absolute monster in 3-4 years.

Back