Ryron & Rener Gracie: Free Technique

I was surprised to learn that Rener was really close to wrestling for Stanford University back in the day. Do many of the younger Gracies wrestle in High School these days/the last 10-15 years?

I dunno about any Gracies now, but from what I've heard is that Rener did very very well in HS wrestling and didn't go to wrestling practice. Story is that Coach Hazel (who grappled Rickson in a Gracies in Action tape) allowed Rener to skip wrestling practice and instead attend his normal gracie academy training as long as he showed up and won at wrestling meets.

There's a lesson in the GA blue belt curriculum named after Coach Hazel, as counters to common wrestler tactics.

Last edited:
I dunno about any Gracies now, but from what I've heard is that Rener did very very well in HS wrestling and didn't go to wrestling practice. Story is that Coach Hazel (who grappled Rickson in a Gracies in Action tape) allowed Rener to skip wrestling practice and instead attend his normal gracie academy training as long as he showed up and won at wrestling meets.

There's a lesson in the GA blue belt curriculum named after Coach Hazel, as counters to common wrestler tactics.
That's cool man. And I'm assuming he wrestled in California HS. A very tough state.

spacer.gif
Upcoming Gracie Seminars

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Can't make it to any of the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu live seminars? Start your 5-day Free Trial right now, and get unlimited access to the entire Gracie University curriculum for 5 full days without paying a penny! Don't think it's possible to learn from home? Watch this and see what Scott has to say!

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Seminars (All Belt Levels)
  • 4/21/2018 - Rorion Gracie - Roswell, Georgia
  • 4/21/2018 - Ryron Gracie - Seoul, South Korea
  • 4/22/2018 - Rorion Gracie - Chattanooga, Tennessee
  • 4/28/2018 - Rorion Gracie - Norfolk, Virginia
  • 4/30/2018 - Ryron Gracie - Osaka, Japan
  • 5/6/2018 - Ryron & Rener Gracie -Honolulu, Hawaii
  • 6/16/2018 - Rorion Gracie - Milano, Italy
Gracie Bullyproof Seminars (Ages 5 to 13)

So Renee was like his grandfather Helio. He never was taught wrestling but still did really well in wrestling

Back