S3 of MR. ROBOT has been excellent - what other shows have recovered from bad seasons?

Tycho- Taylor's Version

Wild ferocious creature
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seriously, episode 5 was a fucking roller coaster - featuring the blood-pumping Mr. Robot equivalent of True Detective's famous six-minute tracking shot.

The soundtrack, cinematography, and atmosphere of this show has always been extremely captivating. It got a little too ambitious last season, and is ultimately chasing a promise I do not think can be delivered on, but now that the characters have re-aligned and the story has continued to unfold we're right back where we left off at peak of season one.

I'm pretty sure every other show I've seen that's had such a poor season has continued to degenerate thereafter - are there any notable examples of good shows that had a shit season but then came back to form afterward?

Well, the last three seasons of Dexter were continuous dog shit, but the final episode was okay.

Sons of Anarchy recovered for a while after that stuff in Ireland in...season two?

Game Of Thrones S5 to S6

Dexter S3 to S4

Lost S4 to S5(I think)

That's all I can think of right now.

Well, the last three seasons of Dexter were continuous dog shit, but the final episode was okay.

He's a lumberjack and he's OK
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing and hang around in bars.

He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing and hangs around in bars

He's a lumberjack and he's OK
He sleeps all night and he works all day.
giphy.gif

FEAR The Walking Dead had a pretty shaky season 2, with the boat and all that shit, that ended up losing a lot of audience. But then this recent season 3 that just ended, actually ended up getting its shit together and being interesting by the end. So much so that it has actually passed TWD in terms of quality, which is weird.

last episode of Mr. Hobot was fucking fantastic.

i think this season of mr robot is pretty bad and im probably going to quit watching after one more episode.

this past one had cool action sequences, but that's not the reason i liked the show. the plot this season is boring me.

I'm somehow just remembering how unpopular season 2 of The Wire tends to be. Not sure if it's a great example since it's still a good season that just happens to be surrounded by fantastic ones.

I need to start watching S3 still, but I thought both S1 and S2 of Mr Robot were amazing

I'm somehow just remembering how unpopular season 2 of The Wire tends to be. Not sure if it's a great example since it's still a good season that just happens to be surrounded by fantastic ones.

It's not even close to bad. It just feels almost like a side story, and not a part of the main arc. It sticks out quite a bit. You go from Stringer Bell and the urban inner city gangs, to dock workers and the polish mafia? It's good, it's just really offbeat compared to rest of the series.

It's up there.

Holy fuck at that Av, man. ROFL!
Yeah that avatar disgusts me on an existential level,yet I can't stop watching it.

Apparently Agents of Shield and Arrow recovered from bad s3/4 but I haven't forgiven them and slunk back to find out.

I guess BtVS could have ended with s5 and s6 was kind of a mixed bag (but it did give us "Once More With Feeling") but s7 was definitely a step up.

FEAR The Walking Dead had a pretty shaky season 2, with the boat and all that shit, that ended up losing a lot of audience. But then this recent season 3 that just ended, actually ended up getting its shit together and being interesting by the end. So much so that it has actually passed TWD in terms of quality, which is weird.

@Loiosh this might be relevant to your interests btw

If yer hard up for some TV, season 3 ended up being worth watching

Gossip Girl. Season 3 returned to their roots kind of

@Loiosh this might be relevant to your interests btw

If yer hard up for some TV, season 3 ended up being worth watching

I saw it.

It was good, but like TWD, never really good enough for me to want to talk about it. I usually watch it over dinner.

The second season of The Exorcist is a lot better than the first season apparently. I haven't watched the second season yet, but that's just going off the RT score and the reviews.

Game Of Thrones S5 to S6

Dexter S3 to S4

Lost S4 to S5(I think)

That's all I can think of right now.

Dexter season 4 was brilliant. Should have ended there with Dexter framed for murder.

Lithgow was amazing

tumblr_myut0vrPwH1szc48qo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

Dexter season 4 was brilliant. Should have ended there with Dexter framed for murder.

Lithgow was amazing

tumblr_myut0vrPwH1szc48qo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

It still blows my mind how terrible the show went after that season. That thanksgiving lunch scene was incredible and disturbing af. Lithgow absolutely slayed his role.

Back