Saenchai with a cool head kick ko

Maybe its my love of Nathan Corbett, but I get a lot of amusement when a fighter takes a few moments to realise they've been KO'd

You're 5 months late to the party Frode.

But as we're talking about Saenchai's recent KO wins, he also landed this beautiful elbow couple of months ago:

Not being someone who has spent a ton of time following Muay Thai, I admittedly don't know a lot about Saenchai--like, for starters, why does he just have a single name, like Madonna or Cher?--but when I do watch him beating up on guys much bigger I like it.

As someone who's only 5'6" and, when in shape, about 145 lbs, it brings joy to my heart.

I don’t understand the delayed KO’d. Usually someone is instantly out or they recover. How does one stay on his feet for 1-3 seconds before just going out cold

Not being someone who has spent a ton of time following Muay Thai, I admittedly don't know a lot about Saenchai--like, for starters, why does he just have a single name, like Madonna or Cher?--but when I do watch him beating up on guys much bigger I like it.

He doesn’t though. His fighting name is Saenchai Pk Saenchai MuayThaiGym.

Nickname + Gym or Sponsorname like for every other Thai fighter.

Well, he fights out of his own gym which is named after him so it would be kinda redundant. And most thais are getting refered to by the first name anyway.

when I do watch him beating up on guys much bigger I like it.

As someone who's only 5'6" and, when in shape, about 145 lbs, it brings joy to my heart.

You would probably like this highlight video of Saenchai with a lot of footage against bigger opponents:

Or even Kenji Midori who won a Kyokushin open weight World tournament (no weight classes) while only being 5'4" and facing much bigger opponents:

I would not call the KO in OP as a question mark kick as it has no downward trajectory when it hits. I would call it a textbook point karate type roundkick -down to and including hitting with the instep.

I don’t understand the delayed KO’d. Usually someone is instantly out or they recover. How does one stay on his feet for 1-3 seconds before just going out cold

The kick took his legs away. Balance was gone. So he was very rocked when he fell down with no control. So the impact on the canvas probably knocked him out like that.

I would not call the KO in OP as a question mark kick as it has no downward trajectory when it hits. I would call it a textbook point karate type roundkick -down to and including hitting with the instep.

I don't know man, for me it's clearly a question mark kick... Coming up like a front kick, then changing trajectory to hit from the side. The replay at 7:05 has a good angle for it.

And hitting with the instep is not uncommon in MT for high kicks, and specially for the question mark (+ against taller opponent).

It's bizarre because it seemed like he even mentally registered the fact that he'd taken a nice shot and started to smile and nod at Saenchai for a second before going down.

Back