Sakakibara talks in depth about 2018 RIZIN plans

Pyreen

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Sakakibara recently talked at length about their plans for 2018, the most important points:

- They plan to increase the number of events to 6 in 2018. The first will be held May 6 in Fukuoka, then two events between July and September (venues tba, are looking at Saitama, Osaka and Nagoya), then an event abroad in October, then back to Saitama for 2 NYE shows.

- They are planning on doing an event abroad in October in either China or the USA. He was approached by Chinese TV stations and investors in the beginning of 2017 and has been in talks since then. Says there is strong interest over there to hold a RIZIN show. One advantage of that would be the compatibility of time zones with Japan, so that they could air the event live at a reasonable time domestically.

- Alternatively, he is interested in holding the international event in the USA in either Las Vegas or LA, preferably in the T-Mobile arena in Las Vegas. The most substantial problems in putting on an event in the US would be time difference to Japan as well as getting licenced by the US athletic comissions. Alternatively, he could imagine holding a co-promoted event in the US with Bellator.

- Said that the most likely GP weight classes for the men's tournament is LW or FW. This depends mainly on Kron Gracie. If they can get him onboard for a GP, they would probably hold it at FW, if they cant get Kron, LW seems more viable/likely.

- Is undecided on whether they will hold a women's GP in 2018. Said that this depends mainly on when Auclair is available again (has to get reconstructive surgery on her elbow due to ligament damage suffered in training for her NYE fight). If that timing works out, the most likely option is to hold a 125lbs women's GP centered around her, Watanabe and Sugiyama.

- No changes re. Cro Cop: 1 fight before NYE, then retirement fight on NYE.

- Considers the 4-man kickboxing tournament a successful "test run", and is interested in holding a larger scale KB tournament in 2018. This depends entirely on whether they can get bigger names and more established talent next time, including high quality foreigners.

- Is aware of the fact that some MMA fans are displeased with having KB fights on MMA cards, but reiterates his concept of RIZIN being a "lunch box (bento box) of fighting sports" with many different "flavors", so that there is something for everyone's tastes inside.

Original article:

https://queel.me/articles/1337

Not in the article but also relevant: They were very pleased with Khalid Taha's performance and contacted his manager immediately after the Otsuka fight to compete on the May card. Taha would like to fight against Kape.

Sakakibara recently talked at length about their plans for 2018, the most important points:

- They plan to increase the number of events to 6 in 2018. The first will be held May 6 in Fukuoka, then two events between July and September (venues tba, are looking at Saitama, Osaka and Nagoya), then an event abroad in October, then back to Saitama for 2 NYE shows.

- They are planning on doing an event abroad in October in either China or the USA. He was approached by Chinese TV stations and investors in the beginning of 2017 and has been in talks since then. Says there is strong interest over there to hold a RIZIN show. One advantage of that would be the compatibility of time zones with Japan, so that they could air the event live at a reasonable time domestically.

- Alternatively, he is interested in holding the international event in the USA in either Las Vegas or LA, preferably in the T-Mobile arena in Las Vegas. The most substantial problems in putting on an event in the US would be time difference to Japan as well as getting licenced by the US athletic comissions. Alternatively, he could imagine holding a co-promoted event in the US with Bellator.

- Said that the most likely GP weight classes for the men's tournament is LW or FW. This depends mainly on Kron Gracie. If they can get him onboard for a GP, they would probably hold it at FW, if they cant get Kron, LW seems more viable/likely.

- Is undecided on whether they will hold a women's GP in 2018. Said that this depends mainly on when Auclair is available again (has to get reconstructive surgery on her elbow due to ligament damage suffered in training for her NYE fight). If that timing works out, the most likely option is to hold a 125lbs women's GP centered around her, Watanabe and Sugiyama.

- Considers the 4-man kickboxing tournament a successful "test run", and is interested in holding a larger scale KB tournament in 2018. This depends entirely on whether they can get bigger names and more established talent next time, including high quality foreigners.

- Is aware of the fact that some MMA fans are displeased with having KB fights on MMA cards, but reiterates his concept of RIZIN being a "lunch box (bento box) of fighting sports" with many different "flavors", so that there is something for everyone's tastes inside.

Original article:

Not in the article but also relevant: They were very pleased with Khalid Taha's performance and contacted his manager immediately after the Otsuka fight to compete on the May card. Taha would like to fight against Kape.
You're an OG, TS.

{<redford}

Last edited:
I’d take Kape vs. McCall II over Kape vs. Taha, but either works for me.

WAR Rizin!!!

Also, Ante Delija signed with Rizin...........future HW beast.....Mirko's training partner......

That all sounds pretty good.

I must say, the 2-day Rizin tournament was probably the highlight of my mma year (along with UFC 217).

Never any love for Hokkaido. I don’t get it.

Thanks for the info

I loved the kickboxing tournament, its a real boost of energy in a long event

Original article:

I hope they go to China. Entering the North American market didn't save Pride and it's very saturated as it is.

I hope they go to China. Entering the North American market didn't save Pride and it's very saturated as it is.
china would be good but i'd also like to see a co-promotion with bellator, maybe a super tournament too, a mini 8 man tournament on each side then the winners fight each other new years eve

They probably wouldn't be able to use Cro Cop for a U.S. event. They are likely better off taking TV money and going to China. Macau or Bejing?

Last edited:
Some good news in there. Glad they are moving to 6 events.

Original article:

Thank you. i really appreciate it. Luv u. :) and a event in USA would be nice, but it'll suck at the sametime because they won't let fighters soccer kick and stomp. A event in China would be cool to, imagine zhang weili in rizin? That will be fuckin cool. And I wouldn't understand y someone would get mad seeing some kickboxing fights in rizin.

They probably wouldn't be able to use Cro Cop for a U.S. event. They are likely better off taking TV money and going to China. Macau or Bejing?
They don't need cro cop in the USA?

Sounds good, they need a few more LHW and HW's imo.
But it's really good. Need more Rena.

They don't need cro cop in the USA?

He was given a two years suspension by USADA for admitting to growth hormone usage. It wouldn't surprise me if the UFC let him out of his contract as long as he didn't sign with Bellator or fight in the States....but who knows?

Fuck RIZIN stop playing around with your trash ideas.

Best way to go forward is to do a Woman's Open weight Tournament and bring all the freaks together, Alpha female, King Reina, Gabi, Oxanna, Kandori, Lei'D TeiPa, Miss Yarborough, Cindy Dudonis + tons more freaks

They have the power to do Woman's Open weight!

1. I want to see Tenshin vs Kid Yamamto in K-1 rules.

2. The word Gomi in Japanese means Garbage. I would also like to see Tenshin fight the Garbage

I want to see Takada fight Bob Sapp

Takada VS Bob Sapp would save RIZIN, both in Giant Diappers. 2018 NYE. Seriously. Takada needs to fight Bob Sapp.

Kron Gracie, the only fight I want to see is VS guchi, any other idea is trashi (Gomi) at this point

Actually Gomi vs Kron is not a bad idea too

I'll counter the above poster and say I trust Rizin's direction and look forward to their future.

Back