Salary Negotiation

Send another email asking where your Conor McGregor money is. Offer the HR girl a red panty night.

They came back with no counter and are staying with the original offer......wtf

Is this your first job? Salary is the last thing to be discussed in an interview, and you always want the company to make the first offer. Both you and the company are trying to find the boundaries of the salary. The easiest way around that is to ask what someone in a similar position gets paid. If what they offered is what they normally pay someone in that position, than I would not ask for more. You can, but risk being replaced by another candidate. You have not proven your value to the company yet. Why should you get more than the other guy? Some may view your request as being an argumentative person. Not falling in line with company policy.

Depends if they want quality or to fill a spot. I tried to negotiate with one place where I was offered a job recently, and they just interviewed another dude and hired him without telling me.

Didn't you just say that you'd happily take the job at the original offer? Depending on the position, size of company, etc., they maybe couldn't offer you more. My guess is they have other candidates willing to take that pay, but you are first pick.

Take it but inform them after you take it that you will still be open to other firms that will pay what you are asking and WILL leave immediately when another offer comes.

And you will accept no measure for raise to stay and leave them in the middle of the project.

I did this once and they left and came back with the amount I had asked for originally within minutes.

good luck. I just got done with negotiating my own contract. Took a month. 10k increase. worth it.
sherdog finally paying their admins.

What about getting a proviso put into your contact that if you prove satisfactory after say 6 months and fulfil certain laid down conditions then you get a pay raise to X salary ?

I was recently offered a position and decided to counter the offer with an approx 10% increase in the salary they offered me. Mind you, I went through 2 interviews all within a week and in my last interview the person kept expressing how happy she was that they had met me as candidate. I therefore reached out to a career counselor from my university, as well as 2 other personal contacts who are seasoned in HR and recruiting and per the feedback, I felt there was a good opportunity to ask for more.

Following the call where I made the counter, I did not receive a response for a little over a week until I followed up a couple days ago to which the recruiter responded that it’s still being discussed by upper management.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I think I may have shot myself in the foot and kind of regret making the counter.
Is this your first job out of college? Do you have prior work/internship experience in this particular field?

Or, do you just feel entitled, for some reason, to ask for more money?

Serious question, btw.

I was recently offered a position and decided to counter the offer with an approx 10% increase in the salary they offered me. Mind you, I went through 2 interviews all within a week and in my last interview the person kept expressing how happy she was that they had met me as candidate. I therefore reached out to a career counselor from my university, as well as 2 other personal contacts who are seasoned in HR and recruiting and per the feedback, I felt there was a good opportunity to ask for more.

Following the call where I made the counter, I did not receive a response for a little over a week until I followed up a couple days ago to which the recruiter responded that it’s still being discussed by upper management.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I think I may have shot myself in the foot and kind of regret making the counter.
  1. If you're fresh out of college and it's your first professional job, no one should have advised you to make a counter. It's bordering on arrogant, even if that's not your intent. Someone better really be rooting for you, or really appreciate applicants who can say exactly what they need.
  2. If you're proven in your field, have a solid track record, want to make it clear that you intend on climbing the ranks and can demonstrate that you've consistently offered employers more than your job description requires (above and beyond, innovative, etc.) then you did the right thing.

Either way, they are doing one or possibly all of these things:
  • Determining if an equally qualified applicant will take less than you.
  • Discussing how they decrease spending in another area or fire someone to free up the extra salary bump.
  • Sitting on it to see if you cave and offer to take less.
  • Waiting on approval from someone higher to authorize salary bump.
  • Double checking your references and work history to make sure you're not bullshitting before they say yes.

Regret nothing. Going through recruiters is tough negotiation because they always get a slice of the pie and don't have to restrict themselves to just you as a candidate.

Be patient and keep your ears open.
Companies create a budget for recruiters that is separate from their budget for employee salary packages. They don't make any more or less based on what salary you accept. They find suitable candidates, vet them, interview them and recommend them. They may offer some opinion about what a person is worth. They don't get a % of what the applicant is asking, they don't get paid out of the same budget line item as employees, they don't get extra bumps for getting applicants to accept lower salaries.

good luck. I just got done with negotiating my own contract. Took a month. 10k increase. worth it.
Sounds like you got a salary increase at an existing job. Completely different situation.

I think you did the right thing.

1. If you're fresh out of college and it's your first professional job, no one should have advised you to make a counter. It's bordering on arrogant, even if that's not your intent. Someone better really be rooting for you, or really appreciate applicants who can say exactly what they need.
  2. If you're proven in your field, have a solid track record, want to make it clear that you intend on climbing the ranks and can demonstrate that you've consistently offered employers more than your job description requires (above and beyond, innovative, etc.) then you did the right thing.
Either way, they are doing one or possibly all of these things:
  • Determining if an equally qualified applicant will take less than you.
  • Discussing how they decrease spending in another area or fire someone to free up the extra salary bump.
  • Sitting on it to see if you cave and offer to take less.
  • Waiting on approval from someone higher to authorize salary bump.
  • Double checking your references and work history to make sure you're not bullshitting before they say yes.

This. Unless you've established yourself at another company you shouldn't be asking for an increase. Take the offer, work there a year, then negotiate your value. It's way easier to replace a potential hire than it is to replace a trained employee.

I've never been a fan of negotiating like this. I always just find a job that will pay me more. I then put in my resignation and if my company wants to keep me they will make the effort to do that. Got a 10k increase the last time I did that.

I'm currently in transition from being a contractor to a civilian (federal) employee, but same exact job pretty much. I'm negotiating and just submitted my package. Sadly I will be getting paid about 15% less (but better benefits, retirement, more sick/vacation, bonus pay, etc), however since the pay is signifcantly less then my current job (and competition) for the experience I have I'm negotiating for a 100% salary bonus which is a fat ass bonus. Now just the waiting game.

Never counter unless you are ready to walk away.

yeah, you may have shot yourself in the foot. it seems to me that the only time to ask for more, is if you feel confident that you can get a matching offer someplace else. they might be looking for a replacement who will work for what they originally asked. good luck, is all i can say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back