Salka asks, Danny Garcia delivers

Yeah Garica himself had worse mismatches than that. If someone watches small weekday boxing cards they'll see mismatches just like that every month. Those fights are more common than competitive fights.

Still though, leave Tik Tok out of it. Poor little dude from Oz never did anything to you.
Every fighter in the top 10 P4P all time has worse matchups than that on their resume.

You don't know boxing history very well if you think that was one of the worst in history, Mr uh.... gay robot avatar.
Even a lolfest like wlad vs mormeck isn’t in the top 100. Do people actually research older fighters? Some of the people these guys fought are almost literally pullled out of the crowd.

You don't know boxing history very well if you think that was one of the worst in history, Mr uh.... gay robot avatar.

I said it was one of the most pathetic fights in boxing history, which it was. Although to be more specific, it was one of the worst match ups, which it was.

I said it was one of the most pathetic fights in boxing history, which it was. Although to be more specific, it was one of the worst match ups, which it was.
Again, not even in the top 100. Hell, Ray Robinson alone probably has at least 30 worse matchups on his resume.

Again, not even in the top 100. Hell, Ray Robinson alone probably has at least 30 worse matchups on his resume.

Completely different era. In today's world of boxing, we expect good competitive match ups. Fighters of SRR's era fought far more often just to stay busy and to make more money as boxing wasn't as lucrative back then. You really have no idea what you're talking about, as usual.

Completely different era. In today's world of boxing, we expect good competitive match ups. Fighters of SRR's era fought far more often just to stay busy and to make more money as boxing wasn't as lucrative back then. You really have no idea what you're talking about, as usual.
Bullshit.

There are squash matches literally all the time.

Flawless argument. 5 stars.

He's 100% right though. Almost every boxing event has HUGE mismatches early on. Especially if you go watch it live. You see undefeated up and coming guys fighting guys who are 0 wins 10 losses or 2 wins and 17 losses all the time. Even HBO PPV prelims are full of the same shit. Some Golden Boy prospect who is undefeated with all knockouts against a guy making his american debut who has 1 or 2 wins and dozens of losses all in Mexico.

None of this is up for debate. It's just how it is.

Taking an off the cuff turn of phrase as literal. Sherdog :rolleyes:

He's 100% right though. Almost every boxing event has HUGE mismatches early on. Especially if you go watch it live. You see undefeated up and coming guys fighting guys who are 0 wins 10 losses or 2 wins and 17 losses all the time. Even HBO PPV prelims are full of the same shit. Some Golden Boy prospect who is undefeated with all knockouts against a guy making his american debut who has 1 or 2 wins and dozens of losses all in Mexico.

None of this is up for debate. It's just how it is.

He is 100% wrong. You're talking about up & comers. Danny Garcia wasn't an up & comer when he fought Salka, he was already an established world champion.

He is 100% wrong. You're talking about up & comers. Danny Garcia wasn't an up & comer when he fought Salka, he was already an established world champion.
I'm not saying it was a good fight or anything but people are holding Garcia to a different standard than others. There are fights like Garcia vs Salka literally all the time.

I'm not saying it was a good fight or anything but people are holding Garcia to a different standard than others. There are fights like Garcia vs Salka literally all the time.

when was the last time a non-champion from a lower weight class, who had never even fought for a title at the lower class, was immediately given a fight against the recognized champion at a higher weight class?

i realize that dgs belts were not on the line but most wouldve believed that salka was the wba and wbc 140 champ should he had beat garcia

when was the last time a non-champion from a lower weight class, who had never even fought for a title at the lower class, was immediately given a fight against the recognized champion at a higher weight class?

i realize that dgs belts were not on the line but most wouldve believed that salka was the wba and wbc 140 champ should he had beat garcia

You're asking when a champion has taken a tune up fight but trying to put lots of conditions on it to excuse the legions of other fighters who have fought tomato cans.

Like I said, look at some of the guys that great fighters like Duran and Robinson fought in between the Lamottas and Leonards. Ali fought unknowns.

You're asking when a champion has taken a tune up fight but trying to put lots of conditions on it to excuse the legions of other fighters who have fought tomato cans.

Like I said, look at some of the guys that great fighters like Duran and Robinson fought in between the Lamottas and Leonards. Ali fought unknowns.

james toney is another example but imo his fights were more sparring sessions as he fought so many times a years

dg has gone 2005 mayweather. i believe people think that hes chrry picking because all his fights post matthysse, excluding thurman, are all guys coming off recent beatings or showing vulnerabilty

robert guerreo is a good example, going limp against martinez, dg is right there to sift through the pieces of whats left of the ghost.

hospitalized malignaggi post porter

pederson ktfo? send him the contract

rios ktfo by bradley? perfect

Brook vs Gavin
Quillen vs Zerafe
Jones Jr vs Frazier
Khan vs Canelo
Morales vs Croft
Lockett vs Pavlik
Cotto vs Gomez
Stevenson vs. Karpency

Want me to keep going or nah?

james toney is another example but imo his fights were more sparring sessions as he fought so many times a years

dg has gone 2005 mayweather. i believe people think that hes chrry picking because all his fights post matthysse, excluding thurman, are all guys coming off recent beatings or showing vulnerabilty

robert guerreo is a good example, going limp against martinez, dg is right there to sift through the pieces of whats left of the ghost.

Garcia and Guerrero were the top available contenders for the vacant WBC belt. Any name in the top 5 at welter right now would have taken the same fight.

He's fought quality opponents. Thurman, Matthysse, Khan, Herrera, Peterson....

I mean, I don't care if people don't like Garcia but I think people are unrealistic about his opposition. He's fought the best guy in both weight classes he's fought in.

Garcia's choice of opponents since fighting Matthysse has left a lot to be desired, but Peterson doesn't belong in that category. He was a completely legitimate opponent.

Garcia and Guerrero were the top available contenders for the vacant WBC belt. Any name in the top 5 at welter right now would have taken the same fight.

He's fought quality opponents. Thurman, Matthysse, Khan, Herrera, Peterson....

I mean, I don't care if people don't like Garcia but I think people are unrealistic about his opposition. He's fought the best guy in both weight classes he's fought in.

He actually has one of the more impressive resumes (just in terms of who he has fought) of any active fighter in boxing taken in total, but there were considerable stretches where he didn't fight anyone worthwhile, or show any desire to do so.

Garcia's choice of opponents since fighting Matthysse has left a lot to be desired, but Peterson doesn't belong in that category. He was a completely legitimate opponent.

okay, yes, but peterson was coming off a ktfo loss to lucas and he couldve been damaged goods, which he obviously wasnt. nobody knows how a guy is going to react after getting ktfo for the first time.

lamont couldve been badou jack or mike jones

okay, yes, but peterson was coming off a ktfo loss to lucas and he couldve been damaged goods, which he obviously wasnt. nobody knows how a guy is going to react after getting ktfo for the first time.

lamont couldve been badou jack or mike jones

He had two fights between Matthysse and Garcia, one of them being against Jean who was a half-decent fighter. He didn't look like damaged goods in either fight.

Back