SAMBO gets provisional Olympic recognition!

This.
It was a very common match, in terms of SAMBO, especially when it comes to HWs, when one punch finishes the fight.
I have commented this match so many times here, explaining second by second the scoring, that I promised my self to never do it again.
Sherdog doesnt deserve the effort.

Hm really well it looked like fedor was the one pushing the action ivanov stalling just spamming punches? You dont have to explain tho just saying

Hm really well it looked like fedor was the one pushing the action ivanov stalling just spamming punches? You dont have to explain tho just saying
Do you know how scoring works in Combat Sambo?

well I always thought it was like Judo with striking? Come to think of it, I'm not sure how they score the strikes, interesting. I guess I just assumed I knew.

I'm going to confess I guess I haven't looked up the scoring. It's kinda like Kyokushin, I always kinda thought I knew it, but then one day I googled it and found out, and it was little different than I thought, perhaps combat sambo is same when it comes to strikes. I

I do think that there are lot more strong judokas, world medalists and olympians in sports sambo, but there aren't that many in combat sambo, and in regards to the Russians, other than the guy just won the gold in Rio, I'd think that Fedor is the second best though? In my defense lol last I looked Fedor was the best before that guy won the gold haha * amongst Russians I mean
Here is Fedor's Judo statistic:
https://www.judoinside.com/judoka/8554/Fedor_Emelianenko/judo-career
Please explain how Fedor is more accomplished in Judo?
He never scored 1st even in the nationals, let alone international championships.
You were given examples with double champions in Judo OLYMPICS and Sambo WORLDS.

Anyways, thanks for the input guys. I always liked Sambo because of Fedor, but whenever I make a thread about Sambo, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of people, if at all who knew about it, it was awesome. Much appreciated! I gotta get my ass going though, ciao!

I still wanna live in a world where Fedor is this mythical war god who is the best Russian ever to compete in sambo and Judo. You know, if you think about it though, Fedor had better competitions than the guy who won the gold in his own country, not just one but two. And he did a lot more in sambo so..

No, Fedor is just one of many.
Blagoy Ivanov, the chubby Bulgarian, as you said :D is also a decorated Judo competitor:
https://www.judoinside.com/judoka/33836/Blagoy_Ivanov/judo-career
Here is a 3 times SAMBO women champion from Mongolia, who went 2nd in Judo at the Rio Olympics.
https://www.sambo-fias.org/en/news/...-prizere-dzyudoistskogo-turnira-v-rio-3-krat/
Those are just a few examples...

well I always thought it was like Judo with striking? Come to think of it, I'm not sure how they score the strikes, interesting. I guess I just assumed I knew.
And thats my whole point.

Here is Fedor's Judo statistic:
https://www.judoinside.com/judoka/8554/Fedor_Emelianenko/judo-career
Please explain how Fedor is more accomplished in Judo?
He never scored 1st even in the nationals, let alone international championships.
You were given examples with double champions in Judo OLYMPICS and Sambo WORLDS.

I mean amongst Russians. Before that guy won the gold, I mean, I looked it up a few years back. So not anymore, I guess :/

And Fedor had better competitions back home so..Fedor himself said he was behind Tamerlov and Mikhalylin(sp?).

I mean amongst Russians. Before that guy won the gold, I mean, I looked it up a few years back. So not anymore, I guess :/

And Fedor had better competitions back home so..Fedor himself said he was behind Tamerlov and Mikhalylin(sp?).
Do you know all the Russian SAMBO and Judo competitors?
Have you ever researched them?
It seems to me like you are requesting someone else to do all this work for you (and @dsdoubled has been kind enough to give you a full list), just so you can say: "I dont care, Im Fedor's fan and he is best" without providing any source.
Which is why I stopped posting here.

As for Sherdog, the F12 forum has never been big on anything else, but BJJ.

It's a heavily BJJ forum. As a BJJer to me judo is only interesting because it's an Olympic sport (and as such has an extremely high level). Wrestling both that and because it helps with my half guard sweeps and combines with BJJ.

It's a heavily BJJ forum. As a BJJer to me judo is only interesting because it's an Olympic sport (and as such has an extremely high level). Wrestling both that and because it helps with my half guard sweeps and combines with BJJ.
Ive been here 15 years.
Im aware of what Sherdog is.
I remember when decorated competitors, coaches and UFC vets were posting here.
I dont care how it helps you.

Is the provisional status just a recognition that sambo meets the values/rules of being in the olympics or a declaration that they actually want it in the games?

Do you know all the Russian SAMBO and Judo competitors?
Have you ever researched them?
It seems to me like you are requesting someone else to do all this work for you (and @dsdoubled has been kind enough to give you a full list), just so you can say: "I dont care, Im Fedor's fan and he is best" without providing any source.
Which is why I stopped posting here.

I thinks input from guys with expertise and experience like yourself is always very valuable and much appreciated

I do think that there are lot more strong judokas, world medalists and olympians in sports sambo, but there aren't that many in combat sambo, and in regards to the Russians, other than the guy just won the gold in Rio, I'd think that Fedor is the second best though? In my defense lol last I looked Fedor was the best before that guy won the gold haha * amongst Russians I mean
"I do think that there are lot more strong judokas, world medalists and olympians in sports sambo, but there aren't that many in combat sambo"
Im no expert but I think you may be right. It seems like the striking aspect changes the dynamic significantly and attracts a broader base of combar athletes from different arts. Im not sure of this though.

"other than the guy just won the gold in Rio, I'd think that Fedor is the second best though? In my defense lol last I looked Fedor was the best before that guy won the gold haha * amongst Russians I mean"
This wouldn't surprise me though im not sure. I think Minakov was also a pretty good judoka as well but it looks like his biggest accomplishments were age group medals, though still extremely impressive.

You have something against using full names? ; )
It would appear that Nemkov is the real deal. Did you look at Wikipedia?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vadim_Nemkov

I did. Wierd thing, just combat sambo on there. But I was googling, and I think I came upon some wierd russina wiki look alike, that showed Sports Sambo AND combat sambo. And I heard some say he's dual champ. But, I don't know.

"I do think that there are lot more strong judokas, world medalists and olympians in sports sambo, but there aren't that many in combat sambo"
Im no expert but I think you may be right. It seems like the striking aspect changes the dynamic significantly and attracts a broader base of combar athletes from different arts. Im not sure of this though.

"other than the guy just won the gold in Rio, I'd think that Fedor is the second best though? In my defense lol last I looked Fedor was the best before that guy won the gold haha * amongst Russians I mean"
This wouldn't surprise me though im not sure. I think Minakov was also a pretty good judoka as well but it looks like his biggest accomplishments were age group medals, though still extremely impressive.

well I used to think that, but I don't know, not feeling too confident after this thread at the moment about what I know about Combat Sambo lol.

And apparently he was some junior champ, but I don't know, I don't really put a lot of weight on junior achievements. It's just me. It's all relative. If it's your friend's friend winning a junior russian championship, awesome epic. But if it's a professional fi ghter? I don't know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back