SAMBO included in the European Olympic Games

What truth is there for those claims (world championships in sambo) because while there is a lot of overlap there is also a lot that doesnt overlaps.

What do you mean? You can google it? The guy is a world champ in sambo, an olympic silver medalist in greco, and a multiple world medalist in freestyle. Is that what you mean.

What do you mean? You can google it? The guy is a world champ in sambo, an olympic silver medalist in greco, and a multiple world medalist in freestyle. Is that what you mean.

I cant really find much info apparently Sambo didnt had world championships until after the soviet union collapsed, but apparently FILA ran some but i cant find much records.

I cant really find much info apparently Sambo didnt had world championships until after the soviet union collapsed, but apparently FILA ran some but i cant find much records.

It might be because it was strictly Eastern Bloc thing :)
The first world championship was held in Iran, 1973, followed by tournaments in USSR, Canada, France, Italy, Spain and USA.
It was in 1985 when FIAS was formed though. So any information from before that would be difficult to find... or classified by KGB :)

Check this out.

Try using sombo in your search. That's what I USAW referred to it as. It had a comeback in the mid 2000s just before FILA introduced grappling. Henry Cejudo's coach, Eric Albarracin who was a very high level wrestler, won a national title. Although there may have only been 2 guys in his weight class.

Back