Social San Francisco gets 16000 complaints about public defecation in a week

Great food, great tourist attractions and great deal of homelessness too. It's too bad, it used to be a beautiful city.

Never cared for northern California.....but what happened?

From what I always heard, Oakland was supposed to be a shithole, but SF was supposed to be the "nice" side of the bay. From the video, it looks like how I imagined Oakland would.

They have a special police unit for the homeless problem

California banned straws, but they still hand out plastic syringes to junkies

I used to love San Francisco and grew up going into the city at least once a month. Now I’ll go one or two times a year and that’s enough. There’s awesome food in the city, but it’s not enough to get me there regularly anymore. Plenty of nicer cities with great food and scenery and no homeless people shitting on the sidewalk.

Same here. I grew up in the South Bay but used to come up to the city often to visit my Grandma. I really liked going there but now many many years later I live in the East Bay. I avoid going to the City, it's such a pain in the ass to get around. I much prefer going to Oakland or Berkeley. Less hassle, cheaper and similar quality food and nightlife.

Not everywhere in San Fran but it’s bad in the Tenderloin area.

Now that Starbucks has declared that their bathrooms will be open to anyone whether they are a customer or not, they will likely lose a ton of business as the customers may not like the comings and goings of the many homeless who will be just using the bathroom. Nothing wrong with homeless people using the bathroom, but all it takes is a few who you can smell from a mile away to drive away customers.

Starbucks did this as a kneejrk reaction to a racist incident, but it’s too late to backtrack now.

The Starbucks I frequent in Canada has started playing hip-hop music (it used to always be boring songs written by white women) and now has a book club and the book of the month is To Kill a Mockingbird. There is nothing wrong with that in itself, but it seems like Starbucks is pandering way too hard since the racism incident.

I used to love San Francisco and grew up going into the city at least once a month. Now I’ll go one or two times a year and that’s enough. There’s awesome food in the city, but it’s not enough to get me there regularly anymore. Plenty of nicer cities with great food and scenery and no homeless people shitting on the sidewalk.
Same thing with me and Seattle. Betting a lot of the big cities are like this now.

San Francisco Streets Are Covered in Human Poop. Here's Why That Can Be Dangerous
MELIA ROBINSON, BUSINESS INSIDER | 20 AUG 2018

san-fransisco-homeless-poop-august-2018_1_1024.jpg

In San Francisco, people call the city's telephone hotline about 65 times a day to report piles of human faeces on streets and footpaths.

That adds up to 14,597 calls placed to 311 between January 1 and August 13, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Now, city officials are ramping up their response to San Francisco's "poop problem".

Starting next month, a team of five Public Works employees will take to the streets of San Francisco's grittiest neighbourhood, the Tenderloin, in a vehicle equipped with a steam cleaner.

They will ride around the alleys to clean piles of poop before city denizens have a chance to complain about them, the Chronicle reports.

The poop problem has become a key issue for new Mayor London Breed, who grew up in public housing in San Francisco.

"I will say there is more faeces on the footpaths than I've ever seen growing up here," Breed told NBC in a recent interview. "That is a huge problem and we are not just talking about from dogs – we're talking about from humans."

The faeces piling up on footpaths is a symptom of a much broader issue. San Francisco is in the thralls of a housing emergency.

The median two-bedroom rent of US$3,090 is more than double the national average of US$1,180, and only 12 percent of families can afford to buy a home in the city.

Due to a variety of factors, including a shortage of affordable housing and shortcomings in the mental healthcare system, more than 7,400 homeless individuals live on the city's streets without access to public restrooms and other necessities.

Is the poop problem dangerous?

In February, the NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit spent three days surveying 153 blocks of downtown San Francisco to see what they would find.

Their search turned up drug needles, garbage, and faeces in concentrations comparable to some of the world's poorest slums.

The poop problem is unsightly, as well as potentially dangerous.

When faecal matter dries, some particles become airborne and can spread potentially dangerous viruses, such as rotavirus. Inhaling those germs can be fatal, according to Lee Riley, an infectious disease expert at University of California, Berkeley.

In Los Angeles, an outbreak of hepatitis A was linked to the city's 50,000 homeless people, who sometime defecate in the streets and spread disease.

In San Francisco, Breed and the director of Public Works, Mohammed Nuru, hatched the idea for a Poop Patrol over conversations about the city's filth.

"We're trying to be proactive," Nuru told the Chronicle. "We're actually out there looking for it."

https://www.sciencealert.com/san-fr...h-human-poop-government-poop-patrol-feces-fix

Weather and food are nice. Some ok hiking. But homelessness, drugs, real estate, traffic, littering, and legal obstacles for treating the mentally ill make it not worth living. Moved into one of the better suburbs of SF this year and already want to leave. Schools are shit. No gifted programs. No college classes (or any suitable classes for that matter) available for accelerated kids. Probably going to take a $100k pay cut and just move back to where I was living in a couple more months. The extra cash isn’t worth it. This place sucks.

Weather and food are nice. Some ok hiking. But homelessness, drugs, real estate, traffic, littering, and legal obstacles for treating the mentally ill make it not worth living. Moved into one of the better suburbs of SF this year and already want to leave. Schools are shit. No gifted programs. No college classes (or any suitable classes for that matter) available for accelerated kids. Probably going to take a $100k pay cut and just move back to where I was living in a couple more months. The extra cash isn’t worth it. This place sucks.

Cool, but how is the gas station you work at?

Not everywhere in San Fran but it’s bad in the Tenderloin area.

Now that Starbucks has declared that their bathrooms will be open to anyone whether they are a customer or not, they will likely lose a ton of business as the customers may not like the comings and goings of the many homeless who will be just using the bathroom. Nothing wrong with homeless people using the bathroom, but all it takes is a few who you can smell from a mile away to drive away customers.

Starbucks did this as a kneejrk reaction to a racist incident, but it’s too late to backtrack now.
Why not just build public bathrooms?

Went there once on a layover, years ago. I was in SF for about 20 minutes, before a homeless guy tried to take my camera off my shoulder. I shoved him to the ground, he cursed at me & ran away. I called my friend who lived there, like "is this shit normal?" She said "watch out, lately they've been stabbing people." Nice city.

Back