Sanda (散打) Kickboxing School in Beijing China

Well, based on what I know about modern Chinese history (and as someone else mentioned in another thread), all martial arts was banned by the government after WW2 (from the 1950s until the 1980s) as a precaution against social instability. I mean banned in the sense that you could literally be arrested if you were caught practicing any martial arts. So it is hard to imagine that there was any kind of organized competition or ruleset that existed before the government decided to develop Sanshou in the 80s. Perhaps before WWII, but I'm pretty no one in China would refer to anything other than what was developed in the 80s when they say Sanda or Sanshou.

perhaps they did not refer to it as sanshou, but I believe the past-time of lei tai fighting (on a raised platform no boundaries) goes back a long time. There was no ground. I think just strikes and clean take downs, or push guy off platform.

I like this sport. Did they ever allow these
types of take downs in K1?

Sanda
Is muay thai minus elbows and knees + wrestling. Created to have a chance vs kyokushin and MT

i was probably in that thread. Remember not long ago i had this same discussion. Everybody but the chinese seem to know sanda is mt with some extra stuff added and focus on sidekicks

Ah crap you're that guy that was flaming everyone in the other thread. Well, the conversation already took place there, and I'll let everyone make up their own minds by reading the posts there. But suffice it to say that I think literally everyone there disagreed with you and all historical evidence refutes what you believe, no matter how much you may want to believe it.

Ah crap you're that guy that was flaming everyone in the other thread. Well, the conversation already took place there, and I'll let everyone make up their own minds by reading the posts there. But suffice it to say that I think literally everyone there disagreed with you and all historical evidence refutes what you believe, no matter how much you may want to believe it.
Lol its all good. I loved watching Cung le fight at least. Not saying anything about the effectiveness of the art

Meaning....

E.g...... TRADITIONAL/ ORIGINAL TEACHINGS

Sanda
The Origination of Sanda

Sanda, which literally means free fighting is a Chinese self- defense and combat system, also called Chinese kick boxing.

Modern Sanda originated from Sanshou (Old Sanda,which had no fighting rules or restrictions), and was developed by the Chinese military based on the study of traditional Kung fu and modern combat fighting techniques. Sanda is normally not considered a martial arts style itself, but rather a training method often taught alongside other traditional Kung fu styles. Although Sanda is considered a military combat style or modern wushu discipline, it still embraces the techniques, theory, training methods and spirit of traditional Kung fu.

Reference:- http://www.tianmengkungfuacademy.com/home/martial-arts/sanda/

Like many things my friend they tend to lose the traditional teachings or methods as it progresses or morphs into modern methods combining MMA+Boxing as it moves from its origins, now you have people teaching a form of Sanda in Germany and many other parts of the world, get the meaning now!

So the bedrock of Sanda is Kung Fu and modern combat methods from military aspects not sport orientated combat, guess who's got all the original Kung Fu teachings and people who keep those styles alive............ not Germany or other LoL

You will find in reading my posts I have a deep appreciation for traditional and ancient combat especially military.......sport is always going to adhere to Rules, Regulations and Restrictions which is great no one wants to seriously hurt the other person and end up in jail right!

But I answered your point!

Watch....its just a basic tutorial no advance drills, techniques or methods but a taste of whats involved....

This one of best replies I’ve seen . Sanda in modern form is a military combative system . Sport sanda is based on the military version they just took out the finishing moves . I train in sanda. We training to Finish opponent quickly. Many see the sport version and get a false idea that all it is

Hello!
I just moved to Beijing last week and I'm interested in learning Sanda (and meeting new people). I have been learning thai kickboxing in the US under Matee Jadeepitak for the last year or so. I definitely consider myself to be a beginner.
Does your friend host classes or only do private lessons? How much does it cost?
I live near Gulou Dajie, so the location looks perfect. Please let me know how I can contact your friend or when would be a good time to show up there! I wouldn't mind having a bag to kick!

If you just wanna meet more (English speaking) people, you should just go to events listed on Time Out Beijing or The Beijinger. But if ur actually looking for decent places to practice sanda or muay thai, u r welcome to DM me.

Is there a reason why I thought Sanda was the amateur form of Sanshou? In the Sanda I have fought in we were on a laytai(?) and were not allowed knees at all. We were not allowed to clinch and strike but only clinch to perform a takedown, as long as it was completed within a couple of seconds. Very fun sport and great lead in to MMA.

Hi guys, I have a Chinese friend who use to fight professionally in Sanda and has just opened a Sanda school in Beijing.

For those who are not familiar with it, Sanda is the Chinese form of kickboxing, based on traditional Chinese Wushu and wrestling (摔跤 or Shuai Jiao). It's like Muay Thai but with throws. This is what Cung Le, Zabit Magomedsharipov, Muslim Salikhov competed in before they started MMA, and it is the base of a lot of the Chinese fighters now entering the UFC. Here is a Vice article about it, Wiki, but a video says 1000 words.

The school is pretty centrally located next to central Beijing Railway station, within the 2nd ring. It is in the recreation club of a luxury hotel, so there's ultra modern facilities like a swimming pool and hotel quality private bathrooms and showers. It's luxurious compared to a normal gym. Here's some pictures of the pool and hotel (sorry I don't have any pictures of where they set up the gym but its right next to the pool).

4c4f89b7cc7762103a08506a49ef9a48.jpg_600x330_002cf9ce.jpg

5249047a0849f.633x266.jpg

I think this is a pretty nice way to learn real Sanda, in a private, relaxed, and well furnished setting with a real fighter who came up and competed in the standard Chinese national programs. He's also a pretty nice guy. If you happen to be in Beijing and are interested, or have questions, just let me know. I can probably get you a good discount.

Chinese wushu martial arts manifest in two forms. One, routine, and the other, wrestling, resistance or sparring. As one of the two forms, Sanda is a central part of Chinese Wushu.

San shou boxing, 'chinese kickboxing' is also called Sanda and had names such as Xiangbo, Shoubo and Jiji in ancient times. As an essential part of Chinese Wushu, Sanda is favored by its many supportersand through the years has spread and evolved into a chinese national sport of unique character. San shou developed and grew through a long period of Chinese history. It began with the productive labor of labor and their struggles for survival to become transformed into a gem of cultural heritage. People of primitive society learned through hunting how to defend themselves and hunt for animals. They developed simple skills of boxing, kicking, holding and throwing through observing the abilities of animals to hunt for food like catching cats, avoiding dogs, leaping tigers, and looping eagles etc.

looking https://learn-shaolinkungfu.com/kung-fu-styles/san-shou-boxing/

Chinese Kung Fu Styles (Martial Arts or Gongfu or Wushu) is a series of fighting styles which has developed over the centuries in China. Although being fighting styles, Kung Fu advocates virtue and peace, not aggression or violence. This has been the common value upheld by martial artists from generation to generation. With a number of movement sets, boxing styles, weapon skills and some fighting stunts, Kung Fu keeps its original function of self-defense. Now its value in body-building and fitness is also highly appreciated.

Taizu Shaolin Kung Fu International School

https://www.learnshaolinkungfu.com/
https://learn-shaolinkungfu.com/

(Martial Arts or Gongfu or Wushu) is a series of fighting styles
Yes, and plenty of different xxx styles. Some used something like barehands kickboxing, some doesn't spar.

> 200 different names were already > 150 years ago.
So to get any chance start to evaluate we always should ask what exactly name of xxx ( name ) Kung fu ( Wu Shu ) it is. :)

So its basically shootboxing?
I don’t know if you can do full on takedowns in shoot boxing like dbl legs. Also in Santa there really isn’t a going for submissions portion. But there is a lot of focus on transitions from standing grappling to kicking/stomping especially in “street” Sanda.

I don’t know if you can do full on takedowns in shoot boxing like dbl legs. Also in Santa there really isn’t a going for submissions portion. But there is a lot of focus on transitions from standing grappling to kicking/stomping especially in “street” Sanda.
Their are submissions in Sanda
Shuai or Shuai Jiao , throws using Wrestling and Judo like takedowns and sweeps, and Chin-Na Seizing which includes jointlocks, strangulation and other submissions. most ppl only learn or see the sport version where these are removed . It very rare to find schools That teach or know Sanda completely.

Shuai or Shuai Jiao , throws using Wrestling and Judo like takedowns and sweeps, and Chin-Na Seizing which includes jointlocks, strangulation and other submissions. most ppl only learn or see the sport version where these are removed .
Sounds interesting.
It very rare to find schools That teach or know Sanda completely.
Most likely not enough instructors and / or there isn't enough demand for this.
Like : please teach us to compete in sport.

Sounds interesting.

Most likely not enough instructors and / or there isn't enough demand for this.
Like : please teach us to compete in sport.
. I’ve only met one instructor coach lee out of west Texas . He taught my instructor. Lee is a immigrant from PRC . But you are correct not many instructors or demand . It not easy to compete with the popularity of Muay Thai .
But I kinda sensing maybe a little sarcasm from your last sentence in your reply ?

Last edited:
Back