Sanda/Sanshou stance similar to Shotokan Karate?

Valecious

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to Sanshou/Sanda, but what I've noticed is that, often times, Sanda fighters are much lighter on their feet than, lets say, muay thai fighters. They also have wider stances and use in and out movement more often.
Do you think point system of Sanshou/Sanda matches is the reason why their footwork and stance resembles point-style karate?

Well first of all sanda is a ruleset, not a style. And there is like nothing in sanda fights that look anything like shotokan.

It look like sanda.

If i had to make a comparison, then i would say that sanda kinda look like a mix between muay thai and sambo

Well first of all sanda is a ruleset, not a style. And there is like nothing in sanda fights that look anything like shotokan.

It look like sanda.

If i had to make a comparison, then i would say that sanda kinda look like a mix between muay thai and sambo
IDK I have seen sanshou matches where they are bladed stance and bounce around. But that s usually just the portion where they are at long range and throw side kicks.

They don’t scream like banshees while throwing hip chambered punches.

It might just be the ruleset encourages that type of stance. Karate does have its roots in Chinese martial arts.

Back