SAP glove, opinions. Police style gloves with lead 'padding'

Nutt

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Heres an intresting item I've not seen discussed much but is a popular topic in my circles, has anyone over there played with SAP glove, its a variation of the old blackjack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_(weapon)#Sap_gloves) popular with police and security. I wouldent use them in a work suituation, but I do think there an intresting idea, there best used for shadowboxing training Imho, but would add force to punches, although I dont know if they may be as damaging to the user's hand as the opponent!

Basically most modern versions are tactical leather gloves, often kevlar lined, containing 8oz or so of powdered lead or lead shot around the knuckle area. the recomoended use is more to add weight to a heavy slap than a full on straight right, and I can see how they could aid in convincing a drunk to move along or behave!

not really a knife or gun defence weapon, but Im intrested to see what you guys say about them :)

http://www.hatch-corp.com/lawpages/sp100.html
sp100.jpg

The legal implications of using any non-lethal weapon are practically the same, so I'd rather use a slew of other weapons before these. But they are cool.

id think they are mostly to protect your fingers from a baton strike back at you

Wouldn't you break your fingers? if you threw a clsoed fist?

YeahBee said:
Wouldn't you break your fingers? if you threw a clsoed fist?
The lead is powdered, so the impact of knucles is absorbed.

I had a buddy who used to wear something similar at work a few years ago (bouncing in nightclubs) The guy was not a fighter at all but he cracked a few guys as a last resort a few times and knocked them right out cold, one punch. It definetly gave him a little something extra in his shots and no, they dont hurt your hand at all.

I seen them used by the police a couple times . I was living in the hood ( Sacramento ,CA, just past Richards Blvd ) . They used them to round up bums (being homeless is or was illegal in Sacramento, this was in the early 90 s ) . The police would drive a big patty wagon down the back alleys and grab the bums (the ones that tried to fight or get away would get slapped up side the head and then thrown in the wagon ) . This happened every Sunday , my friends and would drink beer and watch the"bum R.T" as we called it . F**Ked up no doubt .

I use them at work (bouncing in downtown toronto clubs) and they never fail. The give u grip to control a sweaty drunk opponent, and most cops dont really care much about them, since they are probably the only weapons that we can use in a club. The added shot along the knuckles protects and ads weight to your fist thus making your punch harder.

havent heard much about these? anyone care to send me a link....

there not that common anymore, seem to be a dying breed. google hatch, damazcus , and any other glove manufatucrers or police stores you can find ( botac, lapolicegear ) and they will have something similar. the carbon fiber knuckle guards seem to be the 'in thing' right now, but I like my lead padded gloves!

bladerunner.tv sell a good vesrsion thats also kevlar lined, but they are a UK firm.

I tend to keep them in my back pocket, and if something major go's down while doing door work i may put them on, as a bonus on those cold winter nights stood outsides the lead absorbs the heat from my butt and warms my hands quickly :)

4 out of 5 stars :p

Back