Sasakul Gym or Kemsmuaythai

J

Julius_Caesar

Coming out to Thailand next month and cant seem to pick between these 2 gyms.

Sasakul Gym is a new gym in Bangkok that teaches both boxing and muaythai. They don't have many muaythai fighters but have a lot of boxers that used to be Petchyindee muaythai fighters so there will be a lot of boxing sparring against some top boxers. Boxers like Petch Sor Chitpattana who is currently 40-0. Superbon also trains there for his boxing. Boxing is one of my weakest points so a gym that mixes the 2 might work well for me. I want to get into kickboxing as well so maybe a gym like Sasakul is perfect but the issues with this gym is its fairly unknown to foreigners so not sure how good it is. The price works out a lot cheaper than kems once you add up the training, the apartment around the corner and street food.

Kems gym is more of the safe pick because many people have gone there already and talk very positively about it. Yodwicha trains there so I'm sure the clinching/sparring is great. But the issues with this gym is the price and location. I can afford it but still pretty pricey and not sure if its worth it. On top of that being that far outside of Bangkok can be pretty boring, unreliable internet etc (might seem like stupid complaints but from experience small things like bad internet can make the time when you're not training hell). Will the training at Kems really be that much better that Sasakuls? 20,000 baht extra better?

So has anyone got any experience with these 2 gyms?

I trained at Kems gym for about six weeks.
The internet was not too bad to be honest , I didn't expect it to work that well but to be honest there wasn't a day when there would be no internet. The rooms above the gym have air con too , but if you take the room in one of the bungaloos I think there is no air con there. Training is awesome there but really hard. Clinching and sparring can be quite hard and intense at times.Training starts after 6am with a very long run up and down the hills of Khao Yai.The views are really nice but I remember it being really hard as it was like 8 - 10km run.After that its pull ups shadow boxing and padwork/sparring.Kem really doesn't like laziness , so he likes to push people quite hard.As you said Yodvicha trains there regulary and there are some other pretty big and tall thais training there ,I remember one being like 72kg the other 77kg roughly so pretty good if you are a bigger fella. Trainers are awesome at Kems as far as I remember there are 3 trainers there:Berneung , Petdam and Noi.Each have very different styles of pad holding but all of them were awesome , my favorite was Noi. I didn't regret going to Kems I got way stronger after training there would love to go there again the only downside to it that's pricey and the location but it didn't bother me too much to be honest as I mostly wanted to improve my Muay Thai.Also Kems Wife Mo is very helpful if you need to visit the city or supermarket she usually arranges someone to take you there.

In regards to boxing training the coaches are pretty good on the boxing mitts especially Noi. Yodvichas hands are very underrated he actually did have some amateur boxing fights and did really well. I got lit up quite badly by his hands haha. Kems hands are really good too and he did use them in his fights also so its not bad gym to train just boxing also ;)

Last edited:
@Flunk Thanks for the help. I'm probably just gonna try it out for the first month and see how it goes from there.

what country are you from? reason im asking is that top level boxing is not very hard to find in the US....muay thai is however. If going to thailand my main focus would be on muay thai. I cross train in boxing as well.

what country are you from? reason im asking is that top level boxing is not very hard to find in the US....muay thai is however. If going to thailand my main focus would be on muay thai. I cross train in boxing as well.
England and no boxing isn't my main concern. Muaythai is. The price is what attracted me to Sasakul gym. The boxing was just a cherry on top but i've decided ill go kems for the first month.

England and no boxing isn't my main concern. Muaythai is. The price is what attracted me to Sasakul gym. The boxing was just a cherry on top but i've decided ill go kems for the first month.
Julius, I am so glad you asked this question! I have been having a very similar conundrum and for the exact same reasons. Kem's is number one on my choice for gyms, but it is sooooo expensive comparatively. Let us know what you experience is like, maybe I can meet up with you out there.

Which gym is going to be better at training you to make the transition into Kickboxing?

Which gym is going to be better at training you to make the transition into Kickboxing?
Not sure. Yodwicha is in the process of transitioning and i guess it would be good to spar with him but sasakul gym have a lot of good boxers to spar with. Unfortunately none my size. Kickboxing is something im thinking about sometime late next year. Its not something that's certain.

lol he didn't even realize the irony and thought it was a serious question

I trained at Kems gym for about six weeks.
The internet was not too bad to be honest , I didn't expect it to work that well but to be honest there wasn't a day when there would be no internet. The rooms above the gym have air con too , but if you take the room in one of the bungaloos I think there is no air con there. Training is awesome there but really hard. Clinching and sparring can be quite hard and intense at times.Training starts after 6am with a very long run up and down the hills of Khao Yai.The views are really nice but I remember it being really hard as it was like 8 - 10km run.After that its pull ups shadow boxing and padwork/sparring.Kem really doesn't like laziness , so he likes to push people quite hard.As you said Yodvicha trains there regulary and there are some other pretty big and tall thais training there ,I remember one being like 72kg the other 77kg roughly so pretty good if you are a bigger fella. Trainers are awesome at Kems as far as I remember there are 3 trainers there:Berneung , Petdam and Noi.Each have very different styles of pad holding but all of them were awesome , my favorite was Noi. I didn't regret going to Kems I got way stronger after training there would love to go there again the only downside to it that's pricey and the location but it didn't bother me too much to be honest as I mostly wanted to improve my Muay Thai.Also Kems Wife Mo is very helpful if you need to visit the city or supermarket she usually arranges someone to take you there.

In regards to boxing training the coaches are pretty good on the boxing mitts especially Noi. Yodvichas hands are very underrated he actually did have some amateur boxing fights and did really well. I got lit up quite badly by his hands haha. Kems hands are really good too and he did use them in his fights also so its not bad gym to train just boxing also ;)
What's the food situation like? I read on their website that they give you two meals a day but it didn't really say anything other than that. And what does everyone do on the weekends? Can the gym get you fights? I'm hoping there are massage places in town? Hahaha I've got a few questions if you don't mind :D

What's the food situation like? I read on their website that they give you two meals a day but it didn't really say anything other than that. And what does everyone do on the weekends? Can the gym get you fights? I'm hoping there are massage places in town? Hahaha I've got a few questions if you don't mind :D
I really enjoyed the food its a lot of rice and chicken obviously , usually there is soup , eggs some beef dishes and the meat is quite spicy(You will be surprised by how much Pepsi they drink) it was pretty well made but I'm not very picky with food. I think I still have some pictures of the food on my old phone maybe I'll send a few pics later ?
First Training starts about 6AM you Usually finish training about 8:30 - 09:00AM and breakfast is also about 9AM after that you have a little time to relax or sleep if you wish. The second training session starts 15:00PM and you finish about 17:30 - 18:00 Sparring is usually done in the morning while clinching in the afternoon. Dinner starts about 18:30PM

You only have 1 day off from training which is Sunday. Saturday you still train like a mad man. On Sundays usually we would go out to see the local temples or go shopping to the city next to Kao Yai which is called Pak Chong (not 100% sure).Or go support the guys fighting on the local shows. Any way there is a shopping mall there restaurants and obviously massage saloons. You can speak to Kems wife if you really need a massage she will arrange someone to take you there.

Kem is obviously still highly respected and influential in the mt scene. He can get you fights from the local shows to max muay thai or even lumpinee or raja (obviously if you are good enough :) ) Did you fight a lot in the UK ? Where do you train ?

kems gym is supposed to be good especially for bigger foreigners

kems gym is supposed to be good especially for bigger foreigners
Yeah here now. The training is good. 3 Chinese kickboxers training here who fight out of Em Legend promotion and no other foreigners. Sparred with Yodwicha today which was good. Beside the training thou I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't speak good thai and is not a fighter. Internet really slow and nothing to do when not training. I was laying down staring at the ceiling for like 2 hours after training when the internet stop working but I'm okay with that. Not sure if others will tho.

Yeah here now. The training is good. 3 Chinese kickboxers training here who fight out of Em Legend promotion and no other foreigners. Sparred with Yodwicha today which was good. Beside the training thou I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't speak good thai and is not a fighter. Internet really slow and nothing to do when not training. I was laying down staring at the ceiling for like 2 hours after training when the internet stop working but I'm okay with that. Not sure if others will tho.
Buy a Thai SIM card for your phone and you can get pre paid data cards cheap. It is something like 100 baht for 2gb of 4g data a week and you can use that when the wifi is out

thats pretty awesome you'll get some authentic training in with top level fighters ive been in the middle of no where when training over there to it does suck try find some pirated dvds u can buy lol but you can focus 100% on training at least. take advantage of training with high level fighters. Do you plan on fighting yourself?

thats pretty awesome you'll get some authentic training in with top level fighters ive been in the middle of no where when training over there to it does suck try find some pirated dvds u can buy lol but you can focus 100% on training at least. take advantage of training with high level fighters. Do you plan on fighting yourself?
Yeah maybe towards the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back