Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

@Rob Battisti , funny enough I love a nice Carolina mustard sauce on tri-tip. I wouldn't normally put something like that on beef but it really does work quite well.

I've been doing my own sauce since I opened my BBQ company and people are going bat-shit crazy for it. It's really just a basic recipe that I've jazzed up a bit, but the cost of making the sauce is pretty high and it's time consuming. I usually make a huge batch every other weekend and that does me about 8 pint jars, with a single jar being about the right amount for a pork shoulder.

@Rob Battisti , funny enough I love a nice Carolina mustard sauce on tri-tip. I wouldn't normally put something like that on beef but it really does work quite well.

I've been doing my own sauce since I opened my BBQ company and people are going bat-shit crazy for it. It's really just a basic recipe that I've jazzed up a bit, but the cost of making the sauce is pretty high and it's time consuming. I usually make a huge batch every other weekend and that does me about 8 pint jars, with a single jar being about the right amount for a pork shoulder.

That's awesome! How many variations do you serve? You're just catering now, right? Do you just include the sauce with your drop off?

Looking into commercial smokers such as the smoke daddy line. Going to look at the location again this weekend!

I'm looking at SmokeDaddy and all I'm seeing is pellet grills... is that the way you're going for your restaurant?

I'm looking at SmokeDaddy and all I'm seeing is pellet grills... is that the way you're going for your restaurant?

Sorry was mixed up in my last message, was looking at the smoke daddy's (like pellet for myself but not for commercial) I was eye ballin the southern pride gas and wood units. Expensive, but I have savings that I'd be looking to invest in this. If I end up really going for it, going balls to the wall.

I like the SPX-300.

https://www.southernpride.com/products/gas-smokers/spx-300

That's awesome! How many variations do you serve? You're just catering now, right? Do you just include the sauce with your drop off?

Yeah, just catering / "cooked meat delivery" right now. Since I'm out here in NC I found a good recipe for a traditional vinegar sauce and I removed some of the vinegar and replaced it with a bit of ketchup / tomato paste. I've also made a good rub that I use on pork and I put some of that into the mix. So it's still a NC vinegar sauce, but it's not as abrasive as most of these types of sauces, and most people really seem to like it. I hate vinegar sauces myself but I actually put this stuff on pulled pork when I make myself a sandwich.

I'm also working on a similar style sauce but kicking up the heat with some chipotles. I made a first batch using WAY TOO MANY chipotles and I almost lost my tongue after tasting the first spoonful. haha But I've found a good mix of heat and sweet / acid and it's pretty good.

And yeah, for each shoulder I give them a pint of sauce. I've got a guy who wants to buy the sauce outright so I guess I'll look into doing that in the not too distant future.

Yeah, just catering / "cooked meat delivery" right now. Since I'm out here in NC I found a good recipe for a traditional vinegar sauce and I removed some of the vinegar and replaced it with a bit of ketchup / tomato paste. I've also made a good rub that I use on pork and I put some of that into the mix. So it's still a NC vinegar sauce, but it's not as abrasive as most of these types of sauces, and most people really seem to like it. I hate vinegar sauces myself but I actually put this stuff on pulled pork when I make myself a sandwich.

I'm also working on a similar style sauce but kicking up the heat with some chipotles. I made a first batch using WAY TOO MANY chipotles and I almost lost my tongue after tasting the first spoonful. haha But I've found a good mix of heat and sweet / acid and it's pretty good.

And yeah, for each shoulder I give them a pint of sauce. I've got a guy who wants to buy the sauce outright so I guess I'll look into doing that in the not too distant future.

That's great. That's why I'm obsessing with sauce. There is a start up hot sauce in NJ called "Hank Sauce" that started at the shore. In two years the guy shut down his restaurant and just sold the sauce. It's now in nearly every joint on the shore.

BBQ sauce won't ever be as widely used as hot sauce but it is still revenue

Made my 2nd brisket and was running short on time, so I wrapped it in foil. It ended up overcooked and a little bit dried out. I know, lots of variables, but next time I think I'll just start the cook earlier and try to avoid the foil.

Made my 2nd brisket and was running short on time, so I wrapped it in foil. It ended up overcooked and a little bit dried out. I know, lots of variables, but next time I think I'll just start the cook earlier and try to avoid the foil.

The foil itself shouldn't necessarily hurt the cook, just have to watch the temp. What was the temp when you pulled it?

that's either undercooked or really overcooked...

i pull my brisket around 196-200 depending on how it looks....

The foil itself shouldn't necessarily hurt the cook, just have to watch the temp. What was the temp when you pulled it?
that's either undercooked or really overcooked...

i pull my brisket around 196-200 depending on how it looks....
Temp was around 200ish, and sat in foil, wrapped in a blanket, in a thermal bag for a few hours. Maybe that caused it to cook too much.

I used a fork to check to see if it would turn easliy on my first brisket, but didn't want to deal with it when I foiled the 2nd one. I will always check to see if it's fork tender from now on.

Sorry was mixed up in my last message, was looking at the smoke daddy's (like pellet for myself but not for commercial) I was eye ballin the southern pride gas and wood units. Expensive, but I have savings that I'd be looking to invest in this. If I end up really going for it, going balls to the wall.

I like the SPX-300.

https://www.southernpride.com/products/gas-smokers/spx-300

I haven't seen a Southern Pride up close but they have a very good reputation within the BBQ community. I love how you're still cooking with wood as well and that's what really matters. You should also look into Ole Hickory as an option as they make some impressive equipment as well.

Cheers man and good luck! When you get up and running I'll make a road trip up your way and give your BBQ a try.

Well kids, I finally broke down and bought a smoker. Wanted something electric so I went with this guy:

Should be here tomorrow. Definitely planning on doing something saturday but don't know what.

Last edited:
@Te Huna Matata

The link's not working for me... I can never get Amazon links to work properly on Sherdog. What brand of electric smoker did you buy?

Temp was around 200ish, and sat in foil, wrapped in a blanket, in a thermal bag for a few hours. Maybe that caused it to cook too much.

I used a fork to check to see if it would turn easliy on my first brisket, but didn't want to deal with it when I foiled the 2nd one. I will always check to see if it's fork tender from now on.

that's more like a texas motorized scooter than a texas crutch..

i never wrap my brisket...

that's more like a texas motorized scooter than a texas crutch..

i never wrap my brisket...
Haha yeah. I'm going to shoot for an earlier cook time and let it rest more if need be. Good learning experience. Set it and forget it works the best for me.

Left my old Akorn Kamado in FL...bought a new one here in the ATL and smoked 10 pounds of thighs, 2 pounds of brats and 4 racks of ribs over the Labor Day weekend to break it in..,finally bought a rib rack and it made the ribs fit easily.

Everything came out ok...need to run a few more smokes to get this one dialed in.

I'm doing a brisket this weekend for the GGG/Alvarez fight. Costco is doing prime briskets for $2.99 a pound so it's hard to pass up.

Thinking about smoking a pork belly. Any tips? Thinking smoking at 225 and pulling at 200 internal. Salt and pepper. Would like the skin to get crispy. Would I need to raise temp at end?

Thinking about smoking a pork belly. Any tips? Thinking smoking at 225 and pulling at 200 internal. Salt and pepper. Would like the skin to get crispy. Would I need to raise temp at end?

I just did a pork belly in my oven and the broiler got the skin perfect. I'd recommend finishing it in the over with the broiler for a nice crispy crackling.

Back