Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

Thinking about smoking a pork belly. Any tips? Thinking smoking at 225 and pulling at 200 internal. Salt and pepper. Would like the skin to get crispy. Would I need to raise temp at end?

I LOVE pork belly! I really like cutting the belly in half ; half the belly I cook to about 210° internal so I can pull it, and the other I will cook to about 205° so I can slice it. Chef Tom from All Things BBQ has a really good recipe for this and it's amazing for making some good sandwiches.

Edit: For crispy skin you'll need to do the last half hour or so at something like 350-400° or else it won't crisp up. You could also do the entire cook at 325-350° and that will have a much better chance of crisping up the skin. Scoring it into a cross-hatch pattern and rubbing salt into the crevices will also help and will give that nice crackling that people love. Here's another video showing a guy doing this with a rolled up belly, almost like a porchetta without the loin.

Last edited:
I made sous vide ribs the other day, then chopped the meat up and threw it into a red sauce with some homemade mac and cheese.

SO GOOD. I did them at 163* for nearly 24 hours, and it chopped so easily.

Ima cook some pork belly in the Gordon Ramsay cooked/pressed/cooked style tomorrow, and some lamb shanks in Guinness, Marmalade and Raisins for Monday.

Yum!

Ima cook some pork belly in the Gordon Ramsay cooked/pressed/cooked style tomorrow, and some lamb shanks in Guinness, Marmalade and Raisins for Monday.

Yum!

A well braised lamb shank I will take over the best BBQ any day. Funny seeing as if I can grill or BBQ it I will. Something about lamb shanks gives me a hard on lol.

I know some of you guys only consider low and slow BBQ, but for those who like grilled meats, Costco has USDA Prime top loins for $25 off. I like to slice them into steaks and grill, or slice the the steaks into bite sized pieces to eat a la Korean BBQ. Grilled on charcoal with a little salt, pepper, and sesame oil and I'm in Heaven!

https://slickdeals.net/f/10628676-c...around-10-15-pounds-in-store-only#commentsBox

This is it Sherbros I'm looking at this place on Saturday. Just big enough. Would have to move the kitchen around for the smoker but I think I should be able to make it happen.

http://matrix.jerseyshoremls.net/DE.asp?k=313866XDc3R&p=DE-1303489-160

Good luck man. Couldn't you chain the smoker outside though? I just ate at a restaurant that had like 3 or 4 smokers outside away from where people eat, and it worked well. Saves you rearranging the kitchen as a whole.

Last edited:
Good luck man. Couldn't you chain the smoker outside though? I just ate at a restaurant that had like 3 or 4 smokers outside away from where people eat, and it worked well. Saves you rearranging the kitchen as a whole.

I post on a couple BBQ forums and LOTS of BBQ places have their outdoor smokers stolen. When you put a $10K+ smoker outside, and people know it's there, it's a huge target. A small group of people with some power tools can EASILY jack just about any setup in a matter of minutes. Shit, just a few weeks after I went to Tuffy Stone's cooking school his BBQ RV was stolen... the damned thing is a well known RV in the area and still some assholes stole it and trashed it.

As I recall the smoker he was looking at for the business was an indoor rotisserie smoker designed to fit into a commercial kitchen anyways, so it makes sense to lock it inside.

Going to my 2nd BBQ contest here on Nov 10 - 11 in Mt. Pleasant, S.C.. Just bought a $200 brisket... Snake River Farms 18Lb wagyu so I'm really hoping it's going to put me on a level playing field. I learned in my 1st competition that if you're not "playing the game" then you're just wasting money. No point in dropping the cash for the entry fee ($300) to just go and buy a cheap brisket / meat in general and hope for the best. So we'll see what happens.

My first comp was pretty rough and I learned a lot... ended up 23/36 teams. I did get a 15th place in chicken and that wasn't bad, but a few of the teams competing there were in the top 10 of KCBS at that point in time. The winner of that contest, Redneck Scientific, went on to score a 3rd place overall in the American Royal Invitational, and then the next day he took 2nd (Reserve Grand Champion) in the American Royal Open. I actually beat him in chicken at my comp! haha

Going to my 2nd BBQ contest here on Nov 10 - 11 in Mt. Pleasant, S.C.. Just bought a $200 brisket... Snake River Farms 18Lb wagyu so I'm really hoping it's going to put me on a level playing field. I learned in my 1st competition that if you're not "playing the game" then you're just wasting money. No point in dropping the cash for the entry fee ($300) to just go and buy a cheap brisket / meat in general and hope for the best. So we'll see what happens.

My first comp was pretty rough and I learned a lot... ended up 23/36 teams. I did get a 15th place in chicken and that wasn't bad, but a few of the teams competing there were in the top 10 of KCBS at that point in time. The winner of that contest, Redneck Scientific, went on to score a 3rd place overall in the American Royal Invitational, and then the next day he took 2nd (Reserve Grand Champion) in the American Royal Open. I actually beat him in chicken at my comp! haha

Are you entering just brisket? How much cool time do they allow?

Smoked a sausage fatty stuffed with jalapenos and cheese (obligatory bacon weave) last sat....

Most tasty piece of meat to come off the smoker yet

Are you entering just brisket? How much cool time do they allow?

I'm doing the full KCBS contest so chicken, ribs, pork butt, and brisket. Not sure what you mean by "cool time" but if you're talking about resting it's my intention to have the brisket rested for at least 2 hours in my cambro before I get it ready for turn-in. This particular contest is also doing People's Choice in both chicken wings and pork butt. The wings are nice and easy at 5pm on Friday, but the Pork Butt (People's Choice) starts at 1pm, right when my pork butt blind box (KCBS) needs to be turned in. Kind of a strange timing, but I'm excited to give it a go.

Smoked a sausage fatty stuffed with jalapenos and cheese (obligatory bacon weave) last sat....

Most tasty piece of meat to come off the smoker yet

Sounds good man! Last fatty I did was a pizza fatty ; marinara, mozzarella, and some herbs... of course in a bacon weave. It was fantastic but I always use too much sausage and it overpowers everything else.

Sounds good man! Last fatty I did was a pizza fatty ; marinara, mozzarella, and some herbs... of course in a bacon weave. It was fantastic but I always use too much sausage and it overpowers everything else.

Next creation will be a buffalo chicken fatty if winter will hold off for a few more weeks

Heading out tomorrow morning for the Smoke on the Harbor BBQ Throwdown in Mt. Pleasant, SC. Looks like it's going to be a small competition with ~30 teams. KCBS sanctioned contest so chicken, pork ribs, pork butt, and brisket all blind turn-in's with Styrofoam boxes garnished with greens.

Got myself a Snake River Farms Wagyu Brisket... 16 Lbs. This will be my first Wagyu brisket cook so I'm also bringing along a normal Angus (Choice) brisket as a back up. I spent the last few days gathering materials, making brines / rubs / injections / sauces and I'm god damned shocked at how much work it is. My last competition I was very unprepared so this time I am making sure I have all my shit together. Got myself a couple extra tables, some better tents, a nice zero-gravity chair, water / power hook-ups, etc.

I'll take some pics and make a photo album and post it when I get back on Sunday or Monday. Scores are open to the public so you all can see my shame (or if I'm lucky my victory) here :
http://www.kcbs.us/event/6889/smoke-on-the-harbor-bbq-throwdownpalmetto-bbq-series

The scores should be posted at about 5pm (Eastern) on Saturday, Nov 11. My team name is Smooth Boar BBQ.

Heading out tomorrow morning for the Smoke on the Harbor BBQ Throwdown in Mt. Pleasant, SC. Looks like it's going to be a small competition with ~30 teams. KCBS sanctioned contest so chicken, pork ribs, pork butt, and brisket all blind turn-in's with Styrofoam boxes garnished with greens.

Got myself a Snake River Farms Wagyu Brisket... 16 Lbs. This will be my first Wagyu brisket cook so I'm also bringing along a normal Angus (Choice) brisket as a back up. I spent the last few days gathering materials, making brines / rubs / injections / sauces and I'm god damned shocked at how much work it is. My last competition I was very unprepared so this time I am making sure I have all my shit together. Got myself a couple extra tables, some better tents, a nice zero-gravity chair, water / power hook-ups, etc.

I'll take some pics and make a photo album and post it when I get back on Sunday or Monday. Scores are open to the public so you all can see my shame (or if I'm lucky my victory) here :
http://www.kcbs.us/event/6889/smoke-on-the-harbor-bbq-throwdownpalmetto-bbq-series

The scores should be posted at about 5pm (Eastern) on Saturday, Nov 11. My team name is Smooth Boar BBQ.
Good luck mate! Share the tasty pics with your sherbros

Hey All,

So overall I did pretty decent at this last competition with a 10th overall, and my highest score being a 6th in Brisket (as well as $25). My pork didn't come out very good and my box sat for too long before I turned it in, so I know it was cold by the time the judges got it. It was a tough competition though... with the wind, and being right there on the harbor, the temperature was damned near 32°. I hadn't prepared properly and was sitting out there with some track pants and a hoodie... shivered for about 16 hours straight. haha

Met some really good people and the contest itself was a lot of fun. They forced us to vend both on Friday night (chicken wings) and again on Saturday (pork butt) which wasn't so bad, but they started the vending at 1pm right there in the middle of the competition meat turn-in window. It was pretty silly people walking up on my cook site and wanting to try my food as I'm cutting my pork butt and brisket and trying to get it in the competition box.

Tried my hand at a wagyu brisket and I'll never do that again.... no matter what I did to that thing I couldn't get all of that internal fat to render out and the end product was just way too fatty. I even cooked it longer than my CAB Choice brisket and it still was nothing but fat... pretty much threw the entire thing in the garbage... $200 straight into the trash. :-(

Doing a fresh ham today. I’ve done a number of pre-cooked hams before which were all delicious, but never a fresh one. Going to treat it like a shoulder, but not take it all the way up in temp and play with more sweet flavors.

Was thinking I’ll pull it at 185 and let it rest. At Myron’s course he took his to 190, but as a part of the whole hog. I don’t want to chance drying it out.

Will try and post pics

Back