sbbc : i sound poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pathetic thread... absolutely no use of capitals, goodness.

This is so underwhelming I can't help but be disappointed.

Let your mind blossom, Mr. Lum
giphy.gif

the blooming is your path to the Nexus

*feels relief at not being the oldest person you know

When I looked at his CV it indicated that he finished grad school in 1957. I legit paused, went to the office our lead scientist and said, "I think this guy has equipment on the moon. Pretty sure we have to hire him.".

@therealdope you got any tips on how to approach cardio?

Been back at the gym for 2 weeks and at this point I've just been trying to keep my heart between 150-170 for 30 minutes 3 times a week.

I'm lifting upper body but nervous about squats and deadlifts.

When I looked at his CV it indicated that he finished grad school in 1957. I legit paused, went to the office our lead scientist and said, "I think this guy has equipment on the moon. Pretty sure we have to hire him.".
You are the world's foremost leading expert in the field of humble brags bar none.

Been back at the gym for 2 weeks and at this point I've just been trying to keep my heart between 150-170 for 30 minutes 3 times a week.

Squats and deads will be your best friend in weight loss

try some 60/120s for cardio

i've seen it explained two ways: sprint/run very fast for 60 seconds, and then jog for 120..rinse and repeat

it's hard to do that out of shape tho, so sprint full speed for 60M at first, then jog the 120M, Sprint 60, etc....

at least for military PT test purposes, you'll definitely notice a difference in your average 2-3Mile time by both having a higher average speed and a much better kick

then again I never did longer than the 800/880 in HS track so not like i'm some expert

Baby Groot is the son of original Groot, and I don't know how to process all of the feels.

10 repeats up the Manayunk Wall, 4x per week :p

Seriously though, I know this is going to sound lame but i would start by building your core. It's going to help whatever cardio you do, your lifting, and reduce injuries. 6 weeks is a good start with: stretching, bands, a wobble board, balance ball, planking, hanging, dynamic stretching, exercise ball, ... all of that stuff is good.

build a base doing what you're doing for 30mins. Once you feel like you are comfortable (after 6-8 wks) with the steady pace try doing some intervals. A good workout (treadmill, rowing machine, bike) that mixes up efforts is:

- 10min warm up
- 5x: 30secs all out effort, 2mins at 90% effort, 2 1/2 mins steady effort recovery
- 5min cool down.

You'll puke after one repeat if you try that^^ the first time so just try 10 secs all out and hold 90% for 45secs.

This is random but you were a wrestler, is that even an option now that you're not in school? Have you thought about grappling (Gi/no gi)?

Re: weightlifting

Talk to someone who knows what they are doing. Injuries are no joke.

A few random thoughts:
- anything you're doing to get an active workout is good news
- you should think of it as a long term plan to stay active so mix it up. Go hiking in the summer, go snow shoe in the winter --- whatever you think will mix it up.
- if you can find something social like: ultimate, BJJ, or rock climbing, it may help you maintain interest over the long haul.

Good luck!

try some 60/120s for cardio

i've seen it explained two ways: sprint/run very fast for 60 seconds, and then jog for 120..rinse and repeat

it's hard to do that out of shape tho, so sprint full speed for 60M at first, then jog the 120M, Sprint 60, etc....

at least for military PT test purposes, you'll definitely notice a difference in your average 2-3Mile time by both having a higher average speed and a much better kick

then again I never did longer than the 800/880 in HS track so not like i'm some expert

HIIT is the goat for burning calories. The problem is it fucking sucks and is brutal and people dont like working hard lol.

I had a pulmonary embolism last year.

I don't care about weight loss as much as not dying lol

Oh shit. I'm sorry to hear that. PEs are no joke (as you know) and you should definitely consult whomever is treating you about starting any specific work out. Are you on maintenance anti-coagulant therapy?

Oh shit. I'm sorry to hear that. PEs are no joke (as you know) and you should definitely consult whomever is treating you about starting any specific work out. Are you on maintenance anti-coagulant therapy?

Eliquis for life. They originally told me no heavy squats but I'll follow up.

Rocky-Steps-69289.gif

10 repeats up the Manayunk Wall, 4x per week :p

Seriously though, I know this is going to sound lame but i would start by building your core. It's going to help whatever cardio you do, your lifting, and reduce injuries. 6 weeks is a good start with: stretching, bands, a wobble board, balance ball, planking, hanging, dynamic stretching, exercise ball, ... all of that stuff is good.

build a base doing what you're doing for 30mins. Once you feel like you are comfortable (after 6-8 wks) with the steady pace try doing some intervals. A good workout (treadmill, rowing machine, bike) that mixes up efforts is:

- 10min warm up
- 5x: 30secs all out effort, 2mins at 90% effort, 2 1/2 mins steady effort recovery
- 5min cool down.

You'll puke after one repeat if you try that^^ the first time so just try 10 secs all out and hold 90% for 45secs.

This is random but you were a wrestler, is that even an option now that you're not in school? Have you thought about grappling (Gi/no gi)?

Re: weightlifting

Talk to someone who knows what they are doing. Injuries are no joke.

A few random thoughts:
- anything you're doing to get an active workout is good news
- you should think of it as a long term plan to stay active so mix it up. Go hiking in the summer, go snow shoe in the winter --- whatever you think will mix it up.
- if you can find something social like: ultimate, BJJ, or rock climbing, it may help you maintain interest over the long haul.

Good luck!

I've gotten into grappling and muay thai a few times but the problem is I get busy at work throughout the year so I can make the classes for a couple of months and than I'm tied up for a month and it's expensive.

My normal gym is open from like 5am to midnight and $30 a month so I can make it there when work or life gets hectic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back