SBBC: Problems with the boss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol glad to know a 30 year cop is up on his basic Miranda guidelines. But you are interpreting it wrong. Lmao sorry for some junkie punk like myself to have to inform you but you simply are

"I've testified 1000 times about Miranda issues"

Really?

Miranda doesn't cover pre-arrest investigations tho. Kinda how the whole FISA thing was a LEGAL act.

And if we wanna drag this out, I can hit you with a mountain of caselaw that flies in the face of this:

lol, I never said I testified 1000 times about miranda issues. reading comp ftw. the fact is, based on my courtroom experience, that anything resembling questioning, other than 'spontaneous statements' offered by a suspect, is subject to miranda. notice I said 'suspect'.

here's how it goes:

you: "Was my client a suspect at this point in your opinion?"
me : "Yes."
you: "Did you advise him of his Miranda Rights?" "No? why not?"
me: "Because I hadn't begun to formally interrogate him yet."
you: "Your Honor, I move that all statements made by my client before Miranda be
suppressed.." and so on.

as a practical matter, it was just always easier and safer to admonish as soon as suspect status was established and they were detained or in any form of custody.

and don't run yourself down about being a junkie punk. I think it's great you turned your life around. I hope you go on to a long, illustrious career.

and btw, what set me off to begin with was your rather cavalier, self indulgent remark about 'besmirching minorities.' whether or not you truly believe that to be a reality, you would probably want to lose the bias in the interest in objectivity. *pro tip

have a nice day, sport

Last edited:
Late night/early morning exchanges in the SBBC.
Nice

lol, I never said I testified 1000 times about miranda issues. reading comp ftw. the fact is, based on my courtroom experience, that anything resembling questioning, other than 'spontaneous statements' offered by a suspect, is subject to miranda. notice I said 'suspect'.

here's how it goes:

you: "Was my client a suspect at this point in your opinion?"
me : "Yes."
you: "Did you advise him of his Miranda Rights?" "No? why not?"
me: "Because I hadn't begun to formally interrogate him yet."
you: "Your Honor, I move that all statements made by my client before Miranda be
suppressed.." and so on.

as a practical matter, it was just always easier and safer to admonish as soon as suspect status was established and they were detained or in any form of custody.

and don't run yourself down about being a junkie punk. I think it's great you turned your life around. I hope you go on to a long, illustrious career.

and btw, what set me off to begin with was your rather cavalier, self indulgent remark about 'besmirching minorities.' whether or not you truly believe that to be a reality, you would probably want to lose the bias in the interest in objectivity. *pro tip

have a nice day, sport

Again, none of that involves pre-arrest investigation

And I apologize about the "besmirching minorities" quip. It was literally a joke and if you check my post history I'm actually pretty pro-police. I understand it's a near impossible job. My mentor was LAPD and he's told me some shit that legit makes me wonder how the hell you guys are able to do what you do

Again, none of that involves pre-arrest investigation

And I apologize about the "besmirching minorities" quip. It was literally a joke and if you check my post history I'm actually pretty pro-police. I understand it's a near impossible job. My mentor was LAPD and he's told me some shit that legit makes me wonder how the hell you guys are able to do what you do

Speaking of the LAPD can we just have a Rodney King moment here? "Can't we all get along?".

Graves here's my CrimPro Ch1 outline if it'd help you lmao:

CRIM PRO (01/16/18)

CHAPTER 1: On Studying the Legal Regulation of the Criminal Justice Process

§ 1. The Chapter’s Objectives

§ 2. The Steps in the Process

A. Process Variations

Magistrates: judges in initial portions of processing felony cases, lack of trial jurisdiction in felony cases

Trial courts: court of general jurisdiction w/ trial authority over felony cases

B. Steps in the Process

Step 1: Pre-arrest investigation

-Reactive Investigations (responding to crime, collecting evidence, etc)

-Proactive Investigations (stings, surveillance, intrusive confrontations, etc)

-Prosecutorial Investigations (subpoena, grand jury)

Step 2: Arrest

-Taken into custody for purposes of charging a crime

-Probable cause

-Warrantless arrest

-Arrest warrants issued by magistrates

-Contemporaneous search incident to arrest

Step 3: Booking

-Police station or similar holding facility

-More thorough search

-Stationhouse bail program

Step 4: Post-arrest investigation

-Eyewitness ID, lineups, evidence collection, custodial interrogation

Step 5: Decision to charge

-Internal department review may reverse arresting officer’s decision

-Reversal may be due to error, lack of evidence, “stationhouse adjustment”

-Booking charged felonies may be reduces to misdemeanors

-Ultimate authority over charging lies with prosecutor

-Decision made: (1) prior to filing complaint – release of arrestee, (2) after complaint filing and prior to filing indictment/information – prosecution motion before magistrate to withdraw complaint or grand jury vote to not indict, or (3) after filing indictment/information – prosecution nolle prosequi motion before trial court

Step 6: Filing the complaint

-Must be done with magistrate prior to arrestee’s first appearance

-Brief document, basic function to set forth concisely that accused committed specific acts in violation of a particular criminal statute

-Signed by complainant – person who swears under oath that factual allegations are believed to be true (usually either victim or investigating officer)

-When officer-complainant did not witness offense but relies on information from witnesses = notation that allegations based on “information and belief”

-With filing of complaint, arrestee officially becomes defendant in criminal prosecution

Step 7: Magistrate review of the arrest

-If warrantless arrest and accused remains in custody

-Gerstein review by magistrate to determine whether probable cause exists for charged offense

-Ex parte determination

-If no probable cause, prosecution directed to produce more info or release accused

-Gerstein review not required when arrest warrant or grand jury indictment prior to arrest

Step 8: The first appearance

-Arrestee in custody must be presented to magistrate within 24-48 hours

-Brief proceeding where magistrate informs defendant of charge, rights, nature of further proceedings (date set for preliminary hearing)

-If defendant not represented, magistrate informs of right to counsel including state counsel if indigent (determined prior by court admin or PD and present at first appearance, or determined by magistrate at first appearance)

-Bail set conditioned on non-financial and traditional requirements and consideration of info pertaining to offense and defendant

Step 9: Preliminary hearing

-Mooted if grand jury indictment prior to hearing

-Used by prosecutors in indictment jurisdictions to preclude hearings

-Hearing determines whether evidence sufficient to move forward

-Unlike ex parte magistrate review (step 7), prelim hearing is an adversary proceeding with both sides represented by counsel

-Prosecution presents witnesses, defense cross-examines and may present defense witnesses

-If magistrate still concludes sufficient evidence, she will “bind the case over” to next stage (grand jury or trial court)

-Magistrate may reduce charges

Step 10: Grand jury review

-Not needed in information states

-Grand jury determines whether evidence sufficient to justify trial

-Meets in closed session and hears only evidence presented by prosecution

-Defendant cannot present evidence or be present during proceedings

-If grand jury concludes evidence sufficient, indictment is issued setting forth brief description of offense and designation as “true bill”

Step 11: The filing of the indictment or information

-Issued indictment filed with general trial court and replaces complaint as case’s accusatory charging instrument

-Information states – information filed w/ trial court, charging instrument

Step 12: Arraignment on the information or indictment

-Defendant enters plea of guilty or not guilty (or nolo contendere)

-Most plead not guilty: defense not yet fully appraised of strength of prosecution’s case and most guilty pleas produced by plea negotiations (step 14)

-Upon plea of not guilty, judge sets trial date

-General expectation that trial will not be held

Step 13: Pretrial motion

-Objections challenging institution of prosecution, sufficiency of charging instrument, scope prosecution, requests for discovery and suppression of evidence

-Only made in small portion of cases

Step 14: Guilty plea negotiation and acceptance

-Product of plea agreement where prosecution offers concessions in return for plea

-Discretion of prosecutor

-Trial judge must ensure defendant understands consequences and terms of plea

Step 15: The trial

-Jury or bench

-When jury can’t reach agreement, hung jury is discharged w/o verdict and case may be retried

-Median time from arrest to trial: 5-8 months

Step 16: Sentencing

-Most jurisdictions: function of the court

-Financial sanctions and/or incarceration (jail or prison)

-Sentencing law often restricts options (mandatory minimums)

Step 17: Appeals

-Initial appeal goes to intermediate appellate court or court of last resort

-All states allow defendants to appeal conviction and some allow sentence appeal

-Typically 5-10% reversal rate

Step 18: Collateral remedies

-Convictions challenged on grounds of constitutional violations

-Occurs after appellate process is exhausted and are separate from basic criminal justice process

-Federal writ of habeas corpus (constitutional challenge to conviction)

Last edited:
In other news, CNN delegitmizes themselves daily by doing nothing but pounding their own agenda one story, guest at a time.

Why don't they get this?

I read the report after my ex best friend got arrested.. I literally dont know what happened because i was sleeping...anyway cops asked what went down and i said i was asleep at the time and have no clue

Those fucks said in the report i was uncooperative lol
When he comes back home and sleeping (helpless like a baby) punch him in the face. Thanks.

Faust is going to be the SoFL Larry H. Parker in no time

'Faust won me $5.4M' from a guy with missing teeth and meth scabs

'Fighting for you is my job!"

In other news, CNN delegitmizes themselves daily by doing nothing but pounding their own agenda one story, guest at a time.

Why don't they get this?

You're talking to yourself now? I thought that was Hunter and TRD's job in this thread.

imagine the tomfoolery you participated in to even be arrested
laughable.

Local shop has a s&w mp sport 2 ar for sale ...500 bucks

Tempted

You're talking to yourself now? I thought that was Hunter and TRD's job in this thread.

True.

I just thought I'd throw out a random comment to break up the torture of this long winded legal discourse.

It was fun for a page or two... then became really stale.

True.

I just thought I'd throw out a random comment to break up the torture of this long winded legal discourse.

It was fun for a page or two... then became really stale.

You tried.

It's not your fault.

Graves here's my CrimPro Ch1 outline if it'd help you lmao:

CRIM PRO (01/16/18)

CHAPTER 1: On Studying the Legal Regulation of the Criminal Justice Process

§ 1. The Chapter’s Objectives

§ 2. The Steps in the Process

A. Process Variations

Magistrates: judges in initial portions of processing felony cases, lack of trial jurisdiction in felony cases

Trial courts: court of general jurisdiction w/ trial authority over felony cases

B. Steps in the Process

Step 1: Pre-arrest investigation

-Reactive Investigations (responding to crime, collecting evidence, etc)

-Proactive Investigations (stings, surveillance, intrusive confrontations, etc)

-Prosecutorial Investigations (subpoena, grand jury)

Step 2: Arrest

-Taken into custody for purposes of charging a crime

-Probable cause

-Warrantless arrest

-Arrest warrants issued by magistrates

-Contemporaneous search incident to arrest

Step 3: Booking

-Police station or similar holding facility

-More thorough search

-Stationhouse bail program

Step 4: Post-arrest investigation

-Eyewitness ID, lineups, evidence collection, custodial interrogation

Step 5: Decision to charge

-Internal department review may reverse arresting officer’s decision

-Reversal may be due to error, lack of evidence, “stationhouse adjustment”

-Booking charged felonies may be reduces to misdemeanors

-Ultimate authority over charging lies with prosecutor

Decision made: (1) prior to filing complaint – release of arrestee, (2) after complaint filing and prior to filing indictment/information – prosecution motion before magistrate to withdraw complaint or grand jury vote to not indict, or (3) after filing indictment/information – prosecution nolle prosequi motion before trial court

Step 6: Filing the complaint

-Must be done with magistrate prior to arrestee’s first appearance

-Brief document, basic function to set forth concisely that accused committed specific acts in violation of a particular criminal statute

-Signed by complainant – person who swears under oath that factual allegations are believed to be true (usually either victim or investigating officer)

-When officer-complainant did not witness offense but relies on information from witnesses = notation that allegations based on “information and belief”

-With filing of complaint, arrestee officially becomes defendant in criminal prosecution

Step 7: Magistrate review of the arrest

-If warrantless arrest and accused remains in custody

-Gerstein review by magistrate to determine whether probable cause exists for charged offense

-Ex parte determination

-If no probable cause, prosecution directed to produce more info or release accused

Gerstein review not required when arrest warrant or grand jury indictment prior to arrest

Step 8: The first appearance

-Arrestee in custody must be presented to magistrate within 24-48 hours

-Brief proceeding where magistrate informs defendant of charge, rights, nature of further proceedings (date set for preliminary hearing)

-If defendant not represented, magistrate informs of right to counsel including state counsel if indigent (determined prior by court admin or PD and present at first appearance, or determined by magistrate at first appearance)

Bail set conditioned on non-financial and traditional requirements and consideration of info pertaining to offense and defendant

Step 9: Preliminary hearing

Mooted if grand jury indictment prior to hearing

Used by prosecutors in indictment jurisdictions to preclude hearings

Hearing determines whether evidence sufficient to move forward

Unlike ex parte magistrate review (step 7), prelim hearing is an adversary proceeding with both sides represented by counsel

Prosecution presents witnesses, defense cross-examines and may present defense witnesses

If magistrate still concludes sufficient evidence, she will “bind the case over” to next stage (grand jury or trial court)

Magistrate may reduce charges

Step 10: Grand jury review

-Not needed in information states

-Grand jury determines whether evidence sufficient to justify trial

-Meets in closed session and hears only evidence presented by prosecution

-Defendant cannot present evidence or be present during proceedings

If grand jury concludes evidence sufficient, indictment is issued setting forth brief description of offense and designation as “true bill”

Step 11: The filing of the indictment or information

-Issued indictment filed with general trial court and replaces complaint as case’s accusatory charging instrument

Information states – information filed w/ trial court, charging instrument

Step 12: Arraignment on the information or indictment

-Defendant enters plea of guilty or not guilty (or nolo contendere)

-Most plead not guilty: defense not yet fully appraised of strength of prosecution’s case and most guilty pleas produced by plea negotiations (step 14)

-Upon plea of not guilty, judge sets trial date

-General expectation that trial will not be held

Step 13: Pretrial motion

-Objections challenging institution of prosecution, sufficiency of charging instrument, scope prosecution, requests for discovery and suppression of evidence

Only made in small portion of cases

Step 14: Guilty plea negotiation and acceptance

-Product of plea agreement where prosecution offers concessions in return for plea

-Discretion of prosecutor

-Trial judge must ensure defendant understands consequences and terms of plea

Step 15: The trial

-Jury or bench

-When jury can’t reach agreement, hung jury is discharged w/o verdict and case may be retried

-Median time from arrest to trial: 5-8 months

Step 16: Sentencing

-Most jurisdictions: function of the court

-Financial sanctions and/or incarceration (jail or prison)

-Sentencing law often restricts options (mandatory minimums)

Step 17: Appeals

-Initial appeal goes to intermediate appellate court or court of last resort

-All states allow defendants to appeal conviction and some allow sentence appeal

-Typically 5-10% reversal rate

Step 18: Collateral remedies

-Convictions challenged on grounds of constitutional violations

-Occurs after appellate process is exhausted and are separate from basic criminal justice process

-Federal writ of habeas corpus (constitutional challenge to conviction)
didnt-read.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back