SBBC: What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My county has two judges full time, and one part time just that deals with just traffic and custody cases.

We also have three prosecutors, one of which is a 60 someodd year old guy that gave his last fuck a decade ago but refuses to retire. Everybody wants him to prosecute their case, because he won't go to trial unless he absolutely has to and will plead people down to almost nothing if you push him hard enough. He's also been known to just flat out drop charges (including felonies) if he even thinks for a moment he could lose at trial and a defense attorney won't take a plea.
How is he not disbarred?

The one true hawking has passed away

he had a great sense of humor too btw, even about himself:

Why is Stephen Hawking a bad role model? – He doesn’t stand for anything.

Did you hear that Stephen Hawking wrote a new book…it’s called “Around The House in Eighty Days.”

Why does Stephen Hawking do one-liners? – Because he can’t do stand up.

LOL, he's going to be a crackup in that alternate universe he's headed for.

Yay a bunch of teenagers think their fuckin opinions matter tomorrow

How is he not disbarred?

Probably because he is doing his job, in the grand scheme of things. It's not a prosecutors job to put as many people in jail/prison as possible, it's their job to see that justice is served in the best form possible. So if he doesn't think it can be won at trial, due either to lack of evidence or piss poor witnesses (both of which can sink a case in a real hurry) he at least guns for a plea deal to get something out of it.

One thing I've learned over the years is that Beyond a Reasonable Doubt is a hell of a thing to prove to a jury when a single bad witness or piece of evidence can cause the jury to hang. And since Minnesota doesn't allow the judge to force a unanimous decision a lot of prosecutors won't take things to trial if they can avoid it since if it happens once, it makes their job that much harder the second time around and put all the leverage in the hands of the defense.

magic-johnson-eating-popcorn.gif

Trying to figure out who had the more bad ass physics PhD thesis.

Hawking: proving the universe is expanding

Niels Bohr: a one page thesis (he handed in a single sheet of paper that had reference to his papers where he calculated the radius of the hydrogen atom)

Cecil Peoples scores it a draw.

I would have given it to Hawking since he dodged a motor neuron disease for 50yrs but Bohr dodged the Nazis and helped a bunch of other physicists do the same :/

Tough call.

I'd say Hawking, as proving the universe is expanding helps point us in the right direction when it comes to things like understanding the history and predicting the future of the universe.

I'd say Hawking, as proving the universe is expanding helps point us in the right direction when it comes to things like understanding the history and predicting the future of the universe.

TBF to Bohr his electron cloud stuff probably helped enable a lot of modern chemistry, electronics and optics.

What beyond the expanding universe? Black, light, San Neil?

It’s crazy to think about.

What beyond the expanding universe? Black, light, San Neil?

It’s crazy to think about.

It's just expanding into another dimension that we don't interact with. If you use Hawking's balloon analogy we exist on the surface of a balloon -- we don't see nor interact with anything that inside or outside of the balloon, only what's on the surface. If someone pumps air into the balloon the surface expands and we perceive our universe to be growing. What is it growing into? It's growing in a dimension (the space above the balloon) that we can't see.

That's pretty much as simple a model as there is for this.

A black hole is just like a hole that you can fall into on the surface of the balloon that dips inside the balloon.

TBF to Bohr his electron cloud stuff probably helped enable a lot of modern chemistry, electronics and optics.

Not gonna lie, I don't know to much about Bohr as Ive only heard his name in passing a few times over the years during my random readings. I based my answer on my knowledge of Hawking, where his research led, and your question.

Now, for practical knowledge that pays off in tangible day to day uses Bohr may be the more important person (I have to do some reading to figure out an opinion on that one) but for overall expansion of our understanding of the universe as a whole it's kinda hard to beat Hawking.

Not gonna lie, I don't know to much about Bohr as Ive only heard his name in passing a few times over the years during my random readings. I based my answer on my knowledge of Hawking, where his research led, and your question.

Now, for practical knowledge that pays off in tangible day to day uses Bohr may be the more important person (I have to do some reading to figure out an opinion on that one) but for overall expansion of our understanding of the universe as a whole it's kinda hard to beat Hawking.

the expanding universe theory was not Hawking's but he proved it IIRC. Not exactly too shabby.

Yah, I believe he proved the theory in the end, which puts him pretty much top of the list for me. It's a pretty important bit of information about the universe to have when it comes to... Well pretty much everything related to the universe.

Trying to figure out who had the more bad ass physics PhD thesis.

Hawking: proving the universe is expanding

Niels Bohr: a one page thesis (he handed in a single sheet of paper that had reference to his papers where he calculated the radius of the hydrogen atom)

Cecil Peoples scores it a draw.

I would have given it to Hawking since he dodged a motor neuron disease for 50yrs but Bohr dodged the Nazis and helped a bunch of other physicists do the same :/

Tough call.

Gotta give Hawking credit for all the freaky sex clubs as well. Didn't let the talking wheelchair keep him back in any aspect of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back