Scarlett Johansson quits transgender role after LGBT backlash

It's so fucking stupid to get hung up on this shit. They cast an American...so what? Nobody from Japan gave a flying fuck, so why should you?

I can see how Asian-Americans could get pissed at the Ghost in the Shell casting as they get so little representation in Hollywood as it is.

Well, yeah. They don't look Japanese. Especially Major.
But what do you mean "look Japanese"? Its an anime so they look like anime characters. Do you really expect Japanese people do draw themselves according to what Westerners think Japanese people should look like? Any Japanese person or even non-Japanese fan of anime has zero doubt that characters like the Major are Japanese.

Why are these Trans comunity so whiney? Its like they full of smegma to the brim.

They are Smegma.

You want your propaganda film to star some trans nobody or a Hollywood megastar? These morans are committed to making the wrong decisions at every turn, they're the IRL George Costanza.

They are full of smegma they are made off smegma!

They are smegma!

But what do you mean "look Japanese"? Its an anime so they look like anime characters. Do you really expect Japanese people do draw themselves according to what Westerners think Japanese people should look like?

No. They can do what they want. I'm merely saying that if the characters have a western look to them, why the outrage over a westerner being cast for the resemblance of the character?

Any Japanese person or even non-Japanese fan of anime has zero doubt that characters like the Major are Japanese.

So what about the language? Does your cultural appropriation outrage for live action American remakes of Japanese Anime licenses, stop at having to read subtitles? Whoever was cast, was going to be speaking English(along with most of the cast). Where's the outrage in forcing a Japanese person to speak English for the American audiences, in a role that was originally in Japanese? Where does this shit end?

No. They can do what they want. I'm merely saying that if the characters have a western look to them, why the outrage over a westerner being cast for the resemblance of the character?
But you haven't explained how she looks Western. Nothing about the Major makes her look like she is a Westerner, she just looks like an anime character.
So what about the language? Does your cultural appropriation outrage for live action American remakes of Japanese Anime licenses, stop at having to read subtitles? Whoever was cast, was going to be speaking English(along with most of the cast). Where's the outrage in forcing a Japanese person to speak English for the American audiences, in a role that was originally in Japanese? Where does this shit end?
Actually I do prefer if they speak in the native language and have subtitles if the story takes place in a location where English isn't widely spoken. Tarantino showed you can get away with that with Inglorious Basterds.

But you haven't explained how she looks Western. Nothing about the Major makes her look like she is a Westerner, she just looks like an anime character.

Her features are more western than Japanese. If you want to deny it, fine, but there's no question that when looking for a visual representation of that character, you would look to the west more then the east.

Actually I do prefer if they speak in the native language and have subtitles if the story takes place in a location where English isn't widely spoken. Tarantino showed you can get away with that with Inglorious Basterds.

I agree, but this isn't about what you prefer. I'm talking about this cultural appropriation nonsense that offends people on a different level. You originally stated you wouldn't see GITS because of Scarjo's casting. That means that no matter what, even if she knocked it out of the park, and it was the greatest adaptation of all time, you still wouldn't be able to get past a westerner being cast in the lead role.

Are you equally offended when you see a project of foreign origins being remade in English? And, are you only upset when white Americans "culturally appropriate"? Would you be cool with an Asian Spider-Man or black James Bond, for instance?

Ghost in the Shell bombed though so tees not like she saved that movie. That is one movie that might've benefited from proper casting(i.e. casting an Asian).

I could only watch 2/3s of that movie because of how much of a snoozefest it was. No cast change could ever fix a broken narrative.

Her features are more western than Japanese. If you want to deny it, fine, but there's no question that when looking for a visual representation of that character, you would look to the west more then the east.
I will deny it because its just not true. I already showed you that when they want to design characters with Western features they don't look like the Major. Anyone who actually watches anime would not assume that character is a Westerner. There is no reason to assume the character is a Westerner. You keep saying her features but what features and how are they Western? Her eyes? Westerners do not have eyes that big either.
I agree, but this isn't about what you prefer. I'm talking about this cultural appropriation nonsense that offends people on a different level. You originally stated you wouldn't see GITS because of Scarjo's casting. That means that no matter what, even if she knocked it out of the park, and it was the greatest adaptation of all time, you still wouldn't be able to get past a westerner being cast in the lead role.
No it doesn't mean that at all. It means that I saw her casting as a sign that the film was a shitty cash grab and didn't have high hopes for it which is why I said her casting only initially turned me off with the negative reviews solidifying my position. Had the reviews been stellar I might've checked it out.
Are you equally offended when you see a project of foreign origins being remade in English? And, are you only upset when white Americans "culturally appropriate"? Would you be cool with an Asian Spider-Man or black James Bond, for instance?
I wouldn't have high hopes for an Asian Spiderman or a black James Bond as I didn't with ScarJo as the Major. If either had great reviews I would possibly watch them though.

I will deny it because its just not true. I already showed you that when they want to design characters with Western features they don't look like the Major. Anyone who actually watches anime would not assume that character is a Westerner. There is no reason to assume the character is a Westerner. You keep saying her features but what features and how are they Western? Her eyes? Westerners do not have eyes that big either.

If you were a casting director, looking for a purely visual representation of that character, you would look to the west. Of course no human being looks like an Anime character. If you wanted a live action representation of that particular character though, a westerner would suit the look more.

If you were a casting director, looking for a purely visual representation of that character, you would look to the west. Of course no human being looks like an Anime character. If you wanted a live action representation of that particular character though, a westerner would suit the look more.
I don't think so at all and neither do the people who actually create and/or watch anime. Only Westerners who don't watch anime project Western features onto anime characters because they are so used to their people being the default in any medium and aren't accustomed to a medium like anime where the default characters are of a completely different ethnicity. Japanese people draw and think of anime characters as Japanese by default and only distinguish them when they are not.

No one looks like an anime character so when casting for an anime adaptation I'd default to an Asian actor for the part unless the character was specifically distinguished as being non-Asian like Jodie Starling.

And of course this is all besides the point since the character is unambiguously Japanese and that the story takes place in Japan. The only reason to cast ScarJo is because of her perceived star power which in the end wasn't nearly enough to save the film from itself as it flopped bad.

But what do you mean "look Japanese"? Its an anime so they look like anime characters. Do you really expect Japanese people do draw themselves according to what Westerners think Japanese people should look like? Any Japanese person or even non-Japanese fan of anime has zero doubt that characters like the Major are Japanese.
If I remember correctly the creator of gits said that the major is not Japanese or the body isn't. That the mind is from a Japanese woman but the cybernetic body is a white woman.

If I remember correctly the creator of gits said that the major is not Japanese or the body isn't. That the mind is from a Japanese woman but the cybernetic body is a white woman.
Got that kind of wrong. He said the name and her current body are not her original name and body. So it doesn't matter if they casted a white actress. So all the whitewashing controversy was just wasted breath.

I don't think so at all and neither do the people who actually create and/or watch anime. Only Westerners who don't watch anime project Western features onto anime characters because they are so used to their people being the default in any medium and aren't accustomed to a medium like anime where the default characters are of a completely different ethnicity. Japanese people draw and think of anime characters as Japanese by default and only distinguish them when they are not.

No one looks like an anime character so when casting for an anime adaptation I'd default to an Asian actor for the part unless the character was specifically distinguished as being non-Asian like Jodie Starling.

And of course this is all besides the point since the character is unambiguously Japanese and that the story takes place in Japan. The only reason to cast ScarJo is because of her perceived star power which in the end wasn't nearly enough to save the film from itself as it flopped bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the main character of this comic book supposed to be a cyborg which has a variety of appearances?

http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Motoko_Kusanagi#Gallery

In that sense I'd say it's fair game for anybody to portray it. We don't have any live cyborgs walking around, after all.

Ugly feminists and trans weirdo jealous of Scarlett Johansson

You want your propaganda film to star some trans nobody or a Hollywood megastar? These morans are committed to making the wrong decisions at every turn, they're the IRL George Costanza.
Yeah this movie isn't going to get funded now. That or it will have a fraction of the initial budget and play in 2 theatres in Portland

I don't think so at all and neither do the people who actually create and/or watch anime. Only Westerners who don't watch anime project Western features onto anime characters because they are so used to their people being the default in any medium and aren't accustomed to a medium like anime where the default characters are of a completely different ethnicity.

Yeah, no. They look at the character with their eyeballs, and notice western features. Simply noticing that some Anime characters look more western than eastern doesn't require years of nerding out on Anime. It's very basic visual identification.

Now, if Scarjo, or some other American got the role for this character in a movie, it would be a bit more glaring as she would look look nothing like it, and the facial features are decisively eastern looking:

th

And again, I'm not arguing that Major is a westerner, just that visually she looks more like a westerner, and it made sense to cast a westerner that shared the same basic features. Besides, she's a fantastical cyborg with an artificial body. It's not exactly like casting John Wayne as Genghis Khan, as some would like to believe.

Yeah, no. They look at the character with their eyeballs, and notice western features. Simply noticing that some Anime characters look more western than eastern doesn't require years of nerding out on Anime. It's very basic visual identification.

Now, if Scarjo, or some other American got the role for this character in a movie, it would be a bit more glaring as she would look look nothing like it, and the facial features are decisively eastern looking:

th

And again, I'm not arguing that Major is a westerner, just that visually she looks more like a westerner, and it made sense to cast a westerner that shared the same basic features. Besides, she's a fantastical cyborg with an artificial body. It's not exactly like casting John Wayne as Genghis Khan, as some would like to believe.
You just keep asserting that she looks Western without actually explaining it which shows that its just your bias at work. The Major has small lips, a small nose, pale skin, a round face, and dark hair. All of those are typical features of Japanese women. She does not have a large nose, deep set eye sockets, a pronounced brow, or a defined jaw which are Western features. So no, she does not look Westerner at all and casting a Westerner for the role was a mistake.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the main character of this comic book supposed to be a cyborg which has a variety of appearances?

http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Motoko_Kusanagi#Gallery

In that sense I'd say it's fair game for anybody to portray it. We don't have any live cyborgs walking around, after all.
True she is a cyborg but she is also a Japanese and her cyborg body has Japanese features as I explained above so its safe to assume she would nonetheless look like a Japanese woman.

IMO its not really what killed the movie, the movie apparently was shit otherwise anyway so a casting change likely would not have helped. But its ridiculous to say that the Major looks Western when she has typical features of a Japanese woman and a Japanese name.
When asked about the casting of ScarJo he said he didn't care because its common for Hollywood to cast whites in Asian roles, not the the Major's cyborg body was actually white. She's probably Japanese since she resembles the other Japanese characters more than the Western ones.

Back