Schaefer: Garcia-Spence Definitely a PPV Fight Fit For Las Vegas

great, so now linares isn't good anymore?

fucking lol.

No, what happened was a guy who's known to become undisciplined and abandon his gameplan and has super weak durability was coming on stronger and stonger and even scored a KD on Loma before getting too lazy and getting stopped. Fucking Tony DeMarco stopped the same guy.

Mikey didn't quit, his team was presented with the decision to not continue and still win the fight. In the hurt game youd do the exact same he did. He had nothing left to prove in that fight, he won every second and Salido was the one who wanted out. Fouling to get DQd and instead got decisioned. Had the fight gone on, Mikey would have stopped him. How many KDs did Loma score on Salido in their fight?

Is it so hard to comprehend eventually size and skill will be too much for Loma? Mikey is elite and has shown an ability to carry his dominant performances higher in weight. I think LW is it for Loma. Mikey will eventually rule 140.

Linares didn't get lazy and get caught. He got opened up by a very good combination from Loma who was looking for that punch, and he found it.

Mikey could have continued with a busted nose but he elected not too. Mikey quit. Meanwhile Lomachenko fought virtually a whole fight with just one arm.

How many low blows did Salido land against Mikey? Well he landed 105 against Loma. When you getting low blowed that much it's pretty hard to assert your game. But he almost had him out of there in the final round despite the unprecedented amount of fouling he was on the receiving end of.

Yes I believe there is a limit to where skill can carry you but Loma and Mikey are the same weight now. Spence is two divisions up. Shouldn't Mikey be fighting someone his own weight?

And let’s not forget Loma was basically one-armed for most of that fight.
Very good point. He doesn't get much credit for that. Probably because he hardly made any mention of it himself.

Very good point. He doesn't get much credit for that. Probably because he hardly made any mention of it himself.
Before the fight Linares stated that he'd been watching Loma closely, suggesting he had started to prepare for him for over a year (to thoroughly study his tendencies, which all fighters of course have). It does in part explain why he wanted the fight so badly, that and getting paid $1 million to take it. He really did his homework which would also explain why he didn't feel the strong need to have Salas in his corner. He did high altitude training for this camp (vid is on YouTube) and worked on correcting some flaws in his game (bringing his jab back too low, leaning forward too much when throwing his straight right, etc).

I can't embed the video but I'll link to it here and timestamp it: Jorge Linares REVEALS SECRETLY Training Over A Year for Vasyl Lomachenko FIGHT!

Last edited:
This whole narrative is fucking stupid. Mikey should not even mention Spence, Loma fans shouldn't act like Mikey's ducking since overrated Linares was almost too much for Loma, and Mikey's desire to move up shouldn't be questioned either as he has destroyed guys at his natural weight, and DOMINATED fighters who aren't total scrubs at 140 even if he didn't stop them. Loma can fight Beltran/pedraza, Mikey can get his name out there talking mad shit, and maybe they never fight but everyone way too quick to blame Mikey for everything (even me a few months back), but Loma isn't dominating that fight, he'll lose years of his life to beat Mikey if he even can (just like mikey will vs Spence), and he'll prolly get stopped instead because Mikey is bigger, hits harder, and has an IQ high enough to take away what makes loma special.

Personal opinion: neither fight happens. Mikey cant take Spence, and Loma will be protected from Mikey while fans say Mikey is ducking because it's already been decided in the casuals mind Loma cant be beat even though he already lost to a guy who couldn't even take a round off Mikey.
I think you make some good points here. But, I also feel like you downplay Loma.

How come Mikey wouldnt fight overrated Linares?

How come Mikey quit vs the guy who couldnt even take a round off Mikey?

I think you make some good points here. But, I also feel like you downplay Loma.

How come Mikey wouldnt fight overrated Linares?

How come Mikey quit vs the guy who couldnt even take a round off Mikey?
I honestly don't know why he didn't fight Linares. That was annoying, it seemed like an easy payday and unification opportunity.

People say he quit, never saw a fight that ended like that, but the way it went down, it's not like the ref told him if you quit off the foul you lose, Mikey wouldn't have quit if it would of resulted in the L. Ill rewatch the end again, but Im pretty sure the ref confirms they aren't the losers if they can't continue.

I honestly don't know why he didn't fight Linares. That was annoying, it seemed like an easy payday and unification opportunity.

People say he quit, never saw a fight that ended like that, but the way it went down, it's not like the ref told him if you quit off the foul you lose, Mikey wouldn't have quit if it would of resulted in the L. Ill rewatch the end again, but Im pretty sure the ref confirms they aren't the losers if they can't continue.
I agree that he wouldnt have taken the loss for quitting, but it really looked like he quit when things werent going his way.

I hate to sound like an internet tough guy, but the way he was acting, especially post fight, didnt look like someone who couldnt continue. I think he was worried hed lose once he was hurt.

I agree that he wouldnt have taken the loss for quitting, but it really looked like he quit when things werent going his way.

I hate to sound like an internet tough guy, but the way he was acting, especially post fight, didnt look like someone who couldnt continue. I think he was worried hed lose once he was hurt.
Could be Salido's rough tactics got to him, maybe you're right. I have no way of knowing what's really in a fighter's heart. If Mikey faces adversity and goes no mas ala Rigo/Walters, Ill be the first to eat crow, as it stands I see it a really a close fight that can go either way. I think Mikey's incredible timing and serious power and size advantage will be a factor, but who knows? Still, Im not sure what Mikey's motives are at this point, but just calling him a duck isn't sitting well with me anymore. He's still beating title holders in the meantime and maki ng it look easy. Think bigger fight with loma in works

Before the fight Linares stated that he'd been watching Loma closely, suggesting he had started to prepare for him for over a year (to thoroughly study his tendencies, which all fighters of course have). It does in part explain why he wanted the fight so badly, that and getting paid $1 million to take it. He really did his homework which would also explain why he didn't feel the strong need to have Salas in his corner. He did high altitude training for this camp (vid is on YouTube) and worked on correcting some flaws in his game (bringing his jab back too low, leaning forward too much when throwing his straight right, etc).

I can't embed the video but I'll link to it here and timestamp it: Jorge Linares REVEALS SECRETLY Training Over A Year for Vasyl Lomachenko FIGHT!
it's just hilarious that people would now shit on linares and say he wasn't that good to begin with.

a physically imposing title holder at 135, who hadn't lost a fight in 6 years, 13 straight victories, who mikey garcia refused to fight. before the fight lomachenko is favored, but a lot of people are saying linares is going to be problematic for him. loma finishes him, and now he's a scrub who's been finished by everyone, and has no heart or conditioning.

fuck. off. jorge is a top level boxer, and he came into the lomachenko fight in arguably the best shape of his career. dude was ready, and he was sharp, and he fought his ass off. he was taken to school and finished, but that says a lot more about loma than it does about linares.

How is it that the two fights Garcia is choosing from is either Lomanchenko (135) or Errol Spence (147)? Like wtf?

Spence is too big and way too sharp. He'd give Garcia a beating. Garcia/Lomanchenko is a 50/50 fight IMO.

Doesn't surprise me. Everyone around Lomachenko's weight is looking for a way to beat him. He is the prize everybody wants to beat. So even if this was Linares at his best he still fell some way short. Valiant attempt though.

Back