Schaub- Holly Holm "One of the greatest if not the greatest female fighter of all time"

Valentina is a better fighter but I'm not sure she's way above Holm career wise, Valentina has more good wins but Holm has the best win between them and a title so it's close.
I agree, hopefully Val will get that belt and defend it a couple of times

She's not even close. She's lost against every top fighter she's faced....except for Ronda Rousey (the most overrated fighter of all time).

Rousey was over-rated, and more importantly, over-confident in her striking skills, but given the level of competition she defeated, not over-rated as a fighter.

RE: Holm, although her loss against GDR is questionable, so is GDR rating as a top fighter. Her victory over Holm is about her only notable one.

Records are not everything. It is not like she was dominated or anything. She'd beat Tate 9/10 times, GDR was a robbery, Schevchenko and Cyborg beat her but they are the best female fighters ever so no shame in losing a decisoion to either. Only person to go 5 rounds with Cyborg and have a competitive fight with her.

Doubt if she'd beat Tate 9/10 times. She didn't even win 4 out of 5 rounds. Tate also almost finished her in the second round. Her sole victory between Rousey and Megan was over Correia, who was barely a top 10 fighter, and although everyone states what a horrible striker Rousey was, she connected with as many shots in her 34 seconds with Correia as Holm did in her first 10 minutes. Those first two rounds with Correia should be enough to banish Holm from any consideration as one of the all time greats.

Last edited:
Pretty uncontroversial statement from Lord Brandon, for once.

I take it that's being said with tongue in cheek. Won't say which cheeks. If Holm is the greatest, what makes all those that beat her, especially a much smaller Shevchenko?

Cool story. Doesn't change the fact she is more accomplished than 99.9% of female fighters. Feel free to name someone who has done more than Holm if its so easy.

Schaub is an idiot but he isn't wrong here.

Sorry, both you and Schaub are wrong. I'll refrain from calling you both idiots. The most obvious, or at least well known fighter that is even more accomplished is Shevchenko. She was undefeated in kickboxing and Muay Thai with more than 50 wins over 10 years and beat the larger Holm in MMA. The only fighter she's lost to in the UFC is the current champ, and one of those losses is debatable. Holm, on the other hand has had 4 losses in the UFC.

Another kickboxer that puts Holly record to shame and who happens to be hot on Cyborg's undefeated string, and is debuting shortly in the UFC, is Weili Zhang. She has won her last 17 fights, all but one were finishes. She fought 7 times last year in MMA, and that does not include her kickboxing fights. We'll see how good she really is upon her UFC debut.

Fully around it does to me. Think jj is right behind holly. Jj could ask Dana for boxing match since ufc getting into boxing. That could be her ticket to surpass holly achievements.

So if JJ is right behind Holly, where does that put Shevchenko?

JJ defended her title 5 times, she's 27-3 in Kickboxing, and 37-3 in Muah Thai.

Hell yeah lol :D

Unfortunately for Rousey, she believed all that hype about he striking skills. Almost understandably so, given that 3 of her last wins were by TKO or KO for a total cage time of under 2 minutes, 2 of them against top contenders. Holm, on the other hand, had barely gotten by 2 fighters that were not even in the top 10 at the time.

I love Tate but I don't know if I put her above Holm.

Also I dunno why but I've always been partial to Marloes Coenen too but I don't know if she fits anywhere in top 10 WMMA all time list.

Unfortunately, some of Coenen's losses have been nothing short of mind-boggling and I would place her well outside the top 10. Her loss to Alexis Dufresne was almost as shocking as Rousey's to Holm. Losing to the much smaller Roxanne Modafferi (although she later avenged it) and Cindy Dandois certainly didn't help her cause any either.

Shes top 3 at least.

She has a win over prime Ronda. Close losses to GDR and Shevchenko. She is the only fighter who has had any success lately versus Cyborg. Lost a fight she was winning versus Tate(felt happy for Meisha). Now has re invented herself and beat an up and comer in Megan Anderson.

Add that to all her boxing accomplishments. It can be argued shes a top 3 fighter all time.

Brendan Schaub yesterday on "Below the Belt"

Claims Holly Holm has a top 3 game against the cage male or female and is "One of the Greatest if not the greatest female fighter of all time."

Timestamped 43:50

I'm gonna explain since most of Sherdog doesn't understand Hyperbole. It's like when you eat something good and get excited and say it's the "best" whatever ever. Sherdog needs to learn how to read into that and not be so triggered

That being said. He also could have meant counting that she's a boxing world champ. He didn't say MMA, he said fighter.

Don't be so salty

Shes top 3 at least.

She has a win over prime Ronda. Close losses to GDR and Shevchenko. She is the only fighter who has had any success lately versus Cyborg. Lost a fight she was winning versus Tate(felt happy for Meisha). Now has re invented herself and beat an up and comer in Megan Anderson.

Add that to all her boxing accomplishments. It can be argued shes a top 3 fighter all time.

I agree with everything but the Shevchenko fight being close.

<{cruzshake}>

What a fucking idiot. Cyborg smashed Holly

<KingstonFrown>
Never will be as stupid as the sherdoggers who can't read into hyperbole. But most sherdoggers are far below average intelligence and triggered soooo easily, so I'm not surprised.

Idk that you can say that with certainty. To me they look pretty even in that respect.

Miesha defeated two champions (Marloes Coenen and Holly), and two former title challengers (McMann and Carmouche).

Holm defeated one champion (Rousey) and two former title challengers (Pennington and Correia). I would also add that Holm held her own with Cyborg and Schevchenko who skillwise I would rank above anybody Miesha has ever faced.

So it really comes down to how you see their fight. I think Miesha had the performance of a lifetime that night and good for her for her comeback was awesome, but I believe Holm would beat her maybe 8 out of 10 times judging by how the fight went. You are free to disagree ofc. I was actually a big Miesha Tate fan so I don't think I am biased against her or her style.

My point is as it stands right is very subjective. I think Holly is the better fighter but certainly you can make a case for one or the other.

Now, while Tate is retired Holly is an active fighter, and if she ever beats Nunes or Cyborg than she should be certainly be ranked above Miesha.

You may have addressed it already and I overlooked it, but if you rank Schevchenko, who skillwise you would rank above anybody Miesha has ever faced, it would appear that you rank Shevchenko above both Tate and Holm, correct?

Valentina is a better fighter but I'm not sure she's way above Holm career wise, Valentina has more good wins but Holm has the best win between them and a title so it's close.

Nearly all of Holm's acclaim stems from crushing a grossly over-confident and ill-prepared super star. Nothing she had done prior to or since then has come close to that sensational performance. The next closest moment of greatness came from taking WMMA's other super star to a decision, even if it didn't go her way. That performance impressed me more than any of her other wins, although I was pleasantly surprised with her ground game against Megan, but also disappointed in her stand-up against someone with so little experience.

Shes top 3 at least.

Ronda looked far short of prime in her fight with Holly. She was deluded in thinking that her striking skills were superior to Hollys's and appeared ill-prepared and in poor condition.

Many felt that the fight with Tate was even going into the 5th round. Granted loss to GDR was close, even controversial, but GDR was barely in the top 10 at BW when they fought. While her loss to Shevchenko wasn't a blow out, it was pretty decisive. All 3 judges scored all 3 rounds for Shevchenko. Val connected with more than 50% ore significant strikes and had 3 takedowns to 0.

I was impressed that she could go 5 rounds with Cyborg, but not impressed enough to place her in the top 3. Beating an "up and comer" with no notable victories (unfortunately, Cyborg's the only one notable fighter other than Holly at 145) doesn't carry much weight either.

<KingstonFrown>
Never will be as stupid as the sherdoggers who can't read into hyperbole. But most sherdoggers are far below average intelligence and triggered soooo easily, so I'm not surprised.
LOL thats why you were triggered enough to quote me <TheDonald>

Back