Schaub on Curtis Millender: I'm not ready to ride his dick-train

<Dylan>

If there are less than 15 peoole on the entire planet who can beat you up, it's a pretty safe bet that you're a good fighter
source.gif

So you don't believe the best MMA fighters in the world are the best fighters in the world? Particularly the heavyweights?

I mean, what are we watching for? The guy, at one point, was in the top 15 baddest men on the planet. Right?

Despite looking amazing in his UFC debut, Brendan is not impressed with Curtis at all apparently.

Beating Thiago Alves and Patrick Cote is not impressive according to Schaub. Brendan says Thiago is the easiest fight at WW being 45 years old (TA is 34).

curtis-millender-bellator-170-ceremonial-weigh-ins.jpg

There are straighter, meaning non-gay ways to say you are not sold on some guys hype and skills then saying you are not going ride his dick train.

That’s gay. I’m starting to think Schaub does now say these things metaphorically, but literally.

So you don't believe the best MMA fighters in the world are the best fighters in the world? Particularly the heavyweights?

I mean, what are we watching for? The guy, at one point, was in the top 15 baddest men on the planet. Right?
Sara McMann was the #5 ranked woman at Bantamweight when she did this:
LongPossibleGrayreefshark-size_restricted.gif

Rank does not inherently equate to talent. And to go as far to say that being ranked in the heavyweight division of the UFC means only those ranked above you could beat you up (out of the entire planet) is hilariously flawed logic. You're presupposing that the most talented and athletic individuals are the makeup of that division, but it's not, and it has a depressingly small sample size of fighters.

Take Curtis Blaydes for example; his skillset is as limited as any amateur wrestler currently competing, but based on your logic he could only be defeated by five people on the planet, despite there being hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of amateur wrestlers who could put him on his back and throw some amateurish elbows and do to him what he did to Mark Hunt.

Sara McMann was the #5 ranked woman at Bantamweight when she did this:
LongPossibleGrayreefshark-size_restricted.gif

Rank does not inherently equate to talent. And to go as far to say that being ranked in the heavyweight division of the UFC means only those ranked above you could beat you up (out of the entire planet) is hilariously flawed logic. You're presupposing that the most talented and athletic individuals are the makeup of that division, but it's not, and it has a depressingly small sample size of fighters.

Take Curtis Blaydes for example; his skillset is as limited as any amateur wrestler currently competing, but based on your logic he could only be defeated by five people on the planet, despite there being hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of amateur wrestlers who could put him on his back and throw some amateurish elbows and do to him what he did to Mark Hunt.
Of course guys ranked below him could've beat him, it's a fight. But to be literally ranked top 15 in the world at your weight class means you're amongst the very best at that weight class.

Now to say Curtis Blaydes skill set is as limited as some guy who only wrestles? That's wrong. Curtis Blaydes is a professional fighter. It's a much, much different thing than just wrestling. That's like saying there's some Dagestani who can outwrestle Khabib so they'd beat him in a fight. That's obviously wrong. The skills translate to MMA, but there is no sport in which your standing or ranking will directly translate to your ranking in MMA. Jon Jones was a juco champ like Blaydes. There are countless NCAA wrestlers better than jones. Will they beat him in a fight? Obviously no.

You’re like the official sherdog white knight, aren’t you?
I highly respect the sport and the fighters braj

Through all the bullshit sherdoggers spew about these guys I think there should be some kind of balance. I've done my time in the gym and took my lumps. I know how badass dedicated MMA fighters really are, even at the amateur level. I didn't end up dedicating my life to it because I know what it takes and as a result, my respect only grew.

Of course guys ranked below him could've beat him, it's a fight. But to be literally ranked top 15 in the world at your weight class means you're amongst the very best at that weight class.

Maybe it just means the ranking system is broken and a number to the left of a fighters name doesn't really mean all that much.

Maybe it just means the ranking system is broken and a number to the left of a fighters name doesn't really mean all that much.
This is true to an extent but in a general sense it's accurate. There's a large leap between number 15 and number 30. So within a few ranking spots I'd say it's pretty fair. And I definitely don't think there are any random guys walking around, with or without some sort of martial skill from earlier in life that are going to compete with that level of fighter. There are extreme cases like Brock, but he was an extremely dominant, world class collegiate wrestler and was juiced to hell.

It's safe to assume that someone ranked that highly in the UFC is going to beat everyone on the planet who is the same general weight and size or smaller. With heavyweight, that just happens to be the entire planet.

It's why I hate these 'with x amount of training, y and z could be UFC champs'. It's bullshit. Brendan schaub would submit entire NFL locker rooms one by one, even today.

Back