School shooting in Crimea, Russia blames western subculture

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/bomb-rocks-high-school-in-crimea-killing-10-and-wounding/2018/10/17/7ffd7212-d1fb-11e8-b2d2-f397227b43f0_story.html?utm_term=.58fc6fac30a8

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/crimea-school-attack-russians-blame-western-culture/ar-BBOyP2Q?ocid=ientp

MOSCOW — At least 17 people, mostly teenagers, were killed and 50 others were wounded Wednesday when a student went on a shooting rampage at his high school in Russian-annexed Crimea, Russian authorities said.

Russian investigators identified the gunman as 18-year-old Vladislav Roslyakov. They said he fatally shot himself after the attack in Kerch, a city in eastern Crimea. Russia seized the Crimea region from Ukraine four years ago.

Initial reports described the attack as involving explosives, with possibly terrorist motives.

Russian investigators opened a terrorism probe into the attack, but later changed it to a murder case.

“A preliminary examination of the dead shows they suffered from gunshot wounds,” Russia’s investigative committee said in a statement. “The majority of them are teenagers.”

The Russian news service Mash described Roslyakov as an introverted loner with a fondness for “maniacs.” He purchased an automatic rifle and cartridges last week, his classmates were quoted as saying.

As Russians struggle to come to terms with a horrific US-style school shooting in Crimea, which has left at least 20 people dead and dozens injured, Kremlin-controlled media are blaming the "corrupting influence" of the West for inspiring the attack.

Broadcaster RT, funded by the Kremlin, has spoken of the "shocking resemblance" between the Kerch attack and the 1999 Columbine High School shooting in the United States.

It is for investigators to establish a link, RT says. But alongside photographs of the shooters in both incidents, wearing strikingly similar outfits, RT points out that the perpetrators of both attacks were the same age, hit their school cafeterias with explosive devices, killed their classmates and finally committed suicide in their school libraries

"Western subculture builds its matrix on the cult of violence. The one who has a weapon in his hands is right. This is a purely American approach to the matter," Mikheyev added.

"It all started with the tragic events in the United States, in the schools of the United States," Vladimir Putin told the Valdai discussion forum in Sochi in southern Russia.

"Young people with unstable minds create some kind of false heroes for themselves," Putin added.

I really don’t know what else to say on this one. The school/public shooting by a loner is definitely an American thing; I don’t think anyone can deny. Does Russia/Putin have a point that it is a result of our western culture more than anything? And that is starting to spread via the internet now?

I think he has a point about the unstable minded folk making false heroes for themselves, with either themselves as the role of the hero or some other twisted person as it seemed this guy idolized the columbine shooters and may have paid them homage in his own massacre

He bought an automatic rifle? Damn, I'd have thought Russia has stricter gun control laws than the US, but maybe not. It's very difficult to purchase an automatic rifle in the US.

He bought an automatic rifle? Damn, I'd have thought Russia has stricter gun control laws than the US, but maybe not. It's very difficult to purchase an automatic rifle in the US.

One of my thoughts as well reading the article. I'm not 100% sure it's actually an automatic rifle, and not media messing up a semi automatic ak47 variant though

It did say it was purchased legally

RIP. Though I did see a great tweet about how this was a US led false flag to try to provoke Russia into attacking Ukraine in retaliation.

so it's America's fault?

and not say Russia for killing it's own citizens when the Chechens took that school hostage?
sounds legit IMO

Would have been awesome if Russia made an official statement saying the school shooting happened because of the Trump/Russia collusion...

Back