scientists discover why men with older brothers are more likely to be gay

You can tell in here which poster has an older brother.
Those denials and pretending not to understand what a study is, come in fast from a few guys.

Tough one for conservatives too. You can't go into the womb and tinker with a human being's sexuality, but if you don't, it might come out as one of the gays. But I'm sure they'll manage to overlook it.

This story doesn’t mean much with a percent gay vs number of brothers chart to see if there’s even a correlation in the first place
It's still statistically significant. What you're suggesting is a good line of studies to do next though. They need to study pregnant women both during and for years afterward, and they need to study more women with no children. The y-linked proteins (and resultant antibodies) they think are responsible for the effect may be higher than expected in childless women due to unknown miscarriages and/or taking semen loads (fuck me, yet another reason to use a condom- birth control could be indirectly causing homosexuality, maybe).

I believe that the environmental factors are more important when causing a person to become homosexual. Some of these might include less attention from their fathers, more abuse (via elder siblings etc), or the acknowledgment that one cannot compete for mates with stronger family members.

I do believe there is a genetic component but I think that science these days has focused too strongly on it. Things like being sexually abused as a child have a pretty strong correlation with being gay later in life. Genetic explanations also struggle to explain identical twins with different sexual preferences, as well as sexual fluidity.

Wait... I thought being gay was a choice?

200.webp

I knew I was better off being the oldest even though my younger brother is 50 lbs. heavier and 4 inches taller. He's not gay, I guess, but now I can go back to calling him gay like when we were kids.

Tough one for conservatives too. You can't go into the womb and tinker with a human being's sexuality, but if you don't, it might come out as one of the gays. But I'm sure they'll manage to overlook it.

Well there’s a difference between killing a fetus n preventing a potential disorder

I knew I was better off being the oldest even though my younger brother is 50 lbs. heavier and 4 inches taller. He's not gay, I guess, but now I can go back to calling him gay like when we were kids.

I always wanted an older brother, but I just have an older sister.
But I have read somewhere that studies suggest you are 25-30% more likely to be gay with every brother that came before you.

Therefore I think its essential that all the right wingers disclose how many older brothers they have so that we can accurately calculate their potential level of gayness.

I believe that the environmental factors are more important when causing a person to become homosexual. Some of these might include less attention from their fathers, more abuse (via elder siblings etc), or the acknowledgment that one cannot compete for mates with stronger family members.

I do believe there is a genetic component but I think that science these days has focused too strongly on it. Things like being sexually abused as a child have a pretty strong correlation with being gay later in life. Genetic explanations also struggle to explain identical twins with different sexual preferences, as well as sexual fluidity.
You would use the scientific method to create a hypothesis like the ones you have stated, test them, and then derive conclusions. That sounds like a great study for a group of psychologists to perform actually, assuming they haven’t already. So the problem is not with science or its “preference” for genetics, but in the allocation of resources to/within the different disciplines to gain answers to questions?

You mean western liberal scientist from Canada and USA. How do know this is not some push to inflate the alleged % of gays?

you look at the methodology of the study and see if you think it is sound.

do not base opinions on research, about where the research came from. otherwise, no one will believe anything that they dont want to believe.

you look at the methodology of the study and see if you think it is sound.

do not base opinions on research, about where the research came from. otherwise, no one will believe anything that they dont want to believe.
Hell, most people don’t anyways...

According to a study conducted by researchers at Brock University, Canada, and published in the journal PNAS on Monday, Y-linked protein gets into the bloodstream of some women when they are pregnant with a boy. As women do not have the Y chromosome, their bodies create antibodies. These get stored in the women’s bodies and when they become pregnant with another boy, the antibodies cross the placenta and enter the fetus’ brain.

"That may alter the functions in the brain, changing the direction of how the male fetus may later develop their sense of attraction," said Anthony Bogaert,

So in other words, it's a disorder. Homosexuality is a birth defect or mental illness. We're not meant to be gay. Can't wait to see what they find out about Transgender and what causes it.

According to a study conducted by researchers at Brock University, Canada, and published in the journal PNAS on Monday, Y-linked protein gets into the bloodstream of some women when they are pregnant with a boy. As women do not have the Y chromosome, their bodies create antibodies. These get stored in the women’s bodies and when they become pregnant with another boy, the antibodies cross the placenta and enter the fetus’ brain.

"That may alter the functions in the brain, changing the direction of how the male fetus may later develop their sense of attraction," said Anthony Bogaert,

So in other words, it's a disorder. Homosexuality is a birth defect or mental illness. We're not meant to be gay. Can't wait to see what they find out about Transgender and what causes it.

Do you have any older Brothers?

Well there’s a difference between killing a fetus n preventing a potential disorder
Sexual orientation is on its way to becoming a protected class, so that argument won't fly for long.

All the scientist are the older brother and used the research to screw with their little brothers.
“Your gay, bro, it is just science”

And what about all the gay dudes with no older brothers? Dumb statistic is dumb.
Sigh...

'It does not tie everything up with a neat little bow and answer every question and therefore its useless.' :oops:

A lot of people in this thread don't understand complexity as a function. First off, this is a working theory, not a scientific law. So it needs to be tested to see if it is verifiably true. Second, NO ONE IS SAYING THAT BIRTH ORDER IS THE ONLY FACTOR INVOLVED. The study is saying that it increases the probability of being gay. There are almost certainly a large amount of factors that go into determining a person's sexual preference. Societal acceptance, genetic hormonal/mental baselines, hormonal responses to external stimuli, shaping events during adolescence and young adulthood, and perhaps even things like diet could be other contributing factors. However, those factors would have to be studied individually in order to confirm or deny suspicions, and they would still be measures of probability, not certainty.
^This.

Nah... You chose to have sex. Can't help who you are attracted to

K... but if somebody is attracted to animals or small kids n chooses not to have sex with them cause he/she feels it’s abnormal, it’s still a choice they make.

Back