Scientists remotely hacked a brain (Mouse), controlling body movements

mcveteran81

Veteran
Banned
Reaction score
Imagine someone remotely controlling your brain, forcing your body’s central processing organ to send messages to your muscles that you didn’t authorize. It’s an incredibly scary thought, but scientists have managed to accomplish this science fiction nightmare for real, albeit on a much small scale, and they were even able to prompt their test subject to run, freeze in place, or even completely lose control over their limbs. Thankfully, the research will be used for good rather than evil… for now.

The effort, led by physics professor Arnd Pralle, PhD, of the University at Buffalo College of Arts and Sciences, focused on a technique called “magneto-thermal stimulation.” It’s not exactly a simple process — it requires the implantation of specially built DNA strands and nanoparticles which attach to specific neurons — but once the minimally invasive procedure is over, the brain can be remotely controlled via an alternating magnetic field. When those magnetic inputs are applied, the particles heat up, causing the neurons to fire.

The study, which was published in the most recent edition of the journal eLife, includes experiments where were performed on mice. Using the new technique, the researchers were able to control the movement of the animals, causing them to freeze, lock up their limbs, turn around, or even run.

Despite only being tested on mice, the research could have far-reaching implications in the realm of brain research. The holy grail for dreamers like Elon Musk is that we’ll one day be able to tweak our brains to eliminate mood disorders and make us more perfect creatures. This groundbreaking research could very well be an important step towards that future.

Article: http://bgr.com/2017/08/18/brain-hack-science-limb-control/

Abstract of testing: https://elifesciences.org/articles/27069

Establishing how neurocircuit activation causes particular behaviors requires modulating the activity of specific neurons. Here, we demonstrate that magnetothermal genetic stimulation provides tetherless deep brain activation sufficient to evoke motor behavior in awake mice. The approach uses alternating magnetic fields to heat superparamagnetic nanoparticles on the neuronal membrane. Neurons heat-sensitized by expressing TRPV1 are activated with magnetic field application. Magnetothermal genetic stimulation in the motor cortex evoked ambulation, deep brain stimulation in the striatum caused rotation around the body-axis, and stimulation near the ridge between ventral and dorsal striatum caused freezing-of-gait. The duration of the behavior correlated tightly with field application. This approach provides genetically and spatially targetable, repeatable and temporarily precise activation of deep-brain circuits without need for surgical implantation of any device.

----------------------------------------

puppet_dance_PA_md_wm.gif

It wouldnt work on me, my mind is too complex; it may work on some of these trump cheerleaders in the war room though.

For the life of me I can't remember what the study was, but when people are forced to move apart from their own free will (maybe it was hypnosis or simple brain manipulation) they employ cognitive dissonance and make up a reason to explain their movements. Like if they are made to raise their arm, they might say that they had an itch, as opposed to simply saying they don't know, or that they were made to.

It's human nature to find order in chaos. It's the same type of dissonance that makes people change their opinion on a subject if they are made to write a speech supporting a position they don't agree with. If it were possible to know what a mouse was thinking, and if it was smart enough to reason, I suppose it would say that it felt like running, not that it was made to run.

Not quite the same thing, but it is in the same vein.

Remote Controlled Cyborg Beetle

Duh how do y ou think aliens control you with their eyes

... The holy grail for dreamers like Elon Musk is that we’ll one day be able to tweak our brains to eliminate mood disorders and make us more perfect creatures...

I think that someday Elon Musk is going to be revealed as an alien from space. Seems like a good chap, so I'm ok with it

Shit the Russians they are hackiny tromps brain??

This isn't new. MSM has been doing this to the left for years.

Yeah, were fucked.

There's no need for this kind of technology.

This will not end in a benevolent fashion. Big brother going to big brother

If we are just hearing about this now, then that means they've had this technology since the 60s... and have successfully used it on humans back then

There's no need for this kind of technology.

This will not end in a benevolent fashion. Big brother going to big brother

some of this shit, and AI, is scary. however, i dont think that the worst predictions of apocalypse and 1984 fans are inevitable. new tech is almost always feared. there are sources of people claiming that the printing press was going to be the end of memory. that doesnt mean we shouldnt worry about it, and many are, including the people creating a lot of it (elon musk comes to mind).

It wouldnt work on me, my mind is too complex; it may work on some of these trump cheerleaders in the war room though.

Shitskater and thedunningkrugerkid would be prime examples for testing it on below human intellect

Back