Scissor takedowns - frowned upon in you BJJ school?

Let me just put it this way... if someone kicked my dog, harassed my girl, said TKD was the best for self defense, and was generally trying to do me or a loved one pain in teh streetz, kani basami is what I would use to cause them as much pain possible as quickly as possible, followed by heel hooking them to hell and back :)

That cutback is awesome.

I wish I knew at least some wrestling.

Very well.

For those of us who don't speak sambo - can you translate that aforementioned technical jargon?

Okay so - go with front leg laced between theirs - always?

And avoid basically butt-dropping on their knee joint?
That's fair.

Leads me to my next question.

Jumping straight into saddle or 50/50 position - does this fall into the same category of scissor takedowns?
I believe I only used judo slang.
Just google the words you dont recognize and youtube will take it from there.

Yes, thats between their legs.

I dont do 50/50.

Kanibasami is a scissor takedown. Legs are doing scissor motion, which is a key element of understanding what is safe and what is not.
Just jumping in the air and landing on the knee is not.

TS comes off as a grade A arrogant douchebag. i just started doing this move and dont know how it can hurt people but i know i have full control in its application because i am a grappling God.

BUT - I was hesitant to ask, "are these allowed?" - mainly cause I don't want to hear, "no" - and thus, be deprived of the opportunity to practice them.

I dont really get why you ask this on sherdog and not your coaches o_O
I mean I just cant wrap my head around that you are not asking because their answer may be no. Thats like translation into "I dont give a shit about the rules in my gym and will play dumb as long as possible".

Its just strange because no matter what the outcome in this thread is this does not equate to any sort of permission for you to do it in your gym if the coaches are not involved in the decision. What do you want to do if you get kicked out because of it or seriously injure someone? "Well Sherdog allowed it".

Well - I asked in the gym tonight and, the response was a resounding, "FUCK NO!!"

I just wanted to add some Imanari to my game.

Weak sauce but - I guess it's for the best.

in S02E01 Luke Cage, bushmaster hits a flying scissor takedown when beatin' up on fools

Last edited:

Great short video by Bodycomb.

This is how I try to do it. The problems with the scissors occur when is weight is coming in sideways at the knee, or when it is dropping straight down the side of the knee and collapsing it inwards, or more rarely the scissors being done way too low so it’s a ballistic kneebar. The hand on the mat, pressuring off of it, helps with all issues.

Mechanically a proper scissors feels almost more like an osotogari or kosotogari. There is some pressure back to the corner and most of the force comes from a chop to the *back* of the leg.

That said I do restrict it to my advanced no gi competitors because I trust them not to make those two key mistakes of coming in too low or ballistically launching their crotch at the side of the knee, and even then I have some preconditions.

A proper scissors adept also should be capable of going with resistance and turning it into a Koga roll or even bailing out of it entirely using the hand if they feel things are not going well. Until they’ve shown competence with the Koga roll and can switch between the two when drilling, I’m not going to encourage its use.

It’s just a very powerful entry and most people are not willing to put the prep work in to make it usable when you care about what happens to your opponent/partner.

How many of you have ever actually seen anyone drilling this regularly?

Very often when I've seen someone try this in the gym it's followed shortly by "I saw this on YouTube lol."

I think I'd fee better about the move if every. single. attempt I've ever seen hasn't looked like total dogshit.

I've started doing these recently - and in certain situations, they seem ridiculously effective.

By example - if a dude goes for a hip toss, as a counter, or counter to a single leg etc.

And also - jumping on a leg with a scissor to go straight into 50/50 etc.

BUT - I was hesitant to ask, "are these allowed?" - mainly cause I don't want to hear, "no" - and thus, be deprived of the opportunity to practice them.

I understand they can be kind of dangerous.

Are these generally allowed or no?

If this happened in a Goodell vs Nicoloni match the crowd would go nuts!

Great short video by Bodycomb.

What the fuck is a bodycomb? Is it one of those little crab combs? Asking for a friend.

man tbh idk if iv ever see a higher level belt land this move usually if it land sits cause a guy grabbed a single and sta there for a bit to let him jum behind to hit it

Back