Scott Adam's new book: Win Bigly comes out this month

Pied Piper

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had the opportunity of reading it beforehand.

for those of you who are unaware Scott Adams is the creator of the comic strip, Dilbert, writer of the Dilbert principal (NYT best seller) and an avid blogger.

he is more recently known for claiming Trump would win the presidency back in 2015 when he was estimated to have a 2% chance at winning. Adams stuck with his prediction throughout the entire election.

Adams has stated that although he predicted trump to win, due to his persuasion skills, he is not subscribed to a political party.

a few things about the book:
WIN BIGLY

it is an easy read, only about 255 pages,
it explains that humans are 90 something % irrational, and create illusions to justify our actions, which are really caused. by our evolutionary 'programming.'

Similar to how the robots in westworld think they are making their own decisions, when they're not, its just an illusion.

he explains how to win arguments, and make conversations go your way.

he prefaces with Trumps history in persuasion and reveals who his mentor was.

he gives in depth detail to certain tricks and keys needed to persuade others or make a conversation work out in your favor.

The book is not modest, so I could see some SJW and liberals getting upset about it, but he does a good job with explaining the 'mass hysteria' brought on by the election and shares how to 'dehypnotize those whoa are rooted in the "Trump is Hitler" narrative

Adams on Sam Harris' podcast

I listened to the Harris podcast a few weeks ago and Adams came off as a douchebag.

If he thinks Trump is so great at persuasion why cannot he get the Republicans to agree on anything and get any major legislation passed? They cannot even get repeal and replace through.

I listened to the Harris podcast a few weeks ago and Adams came off as a douchebag.

If he thinks Trump is so great at persuasion why cannot he get the Republicans to agree on anything and get any major legislation passed? They cannot even get repeal and replace through.

Agreed. He was insufferable to listen to.

He was calm the entire time, while harris got angry. Sam harris himself even said he was triggered

Last edited:

Oh he will. I have some inside info on this. It hasnt even been a year since hes been inagurated yet

I dont care about reading dick sucking in print....

I actually read a blog post or two by the guy.

His writing is not bad, not in the nature of a Sean Hannity style Remora sucking on everything his grandiose mouth will fit upon.

However, like an overeager Chemist he injects cognitive dissonance into almost everything he disagrees with.

Sure, most people have a wonderful habit of lying to themselves, but many times that is because it is painful to see that the truth is complicated.

Where nuance and understanding would be justice, we basically just want our way.

I actually read a blog post or two by the guy.

His writing is not bad, not in the nature of a Sean Hannity style Remora sucking on everything his grandiose mouth will fit upon.

However, like an overeager Chemist he injects cognitive dissonance into almost everything he disagrees with.

Sure, most people have a wonderful habit of lying to themselves, but many times that is because it is painful to see that the truth is complicated.

Where nuance and understanding would be justice, we basically just want our way.
In his book there is a chapter based Around cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias

He then goes on to explain how pretty much every belief you have is an illusion. Which is actually a concept that sam harris promotes. My problem with harris is that hes now trying to push his own version of a moral compass. When for years hes been preaching that morals and free will are illusions

In his book there is a chapter based Around cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias

He then goes on to explain how pretty much every belief you have is an illusion

I know, and he is not convincing.

I would prefer this kind of thinking from "The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature" or Tom Wolfe's thought provoking article that dealt with some of the ideas.

We are all a product of the group and individual thinking, the forces of what we want, and what the community around us wants by in large, that is, unless we change our thinking.

I know, and he is not convincing.

I would prefer this kind of thinking from "The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature" or Tom Wolfe's thought provoking article that dealt with some of the ideas.

We are all a product of the group and individual thinking, the forces of what we want, and what the community around us wants by in large, that is, unless we change our thinking.
Youre thinking isnt that easily changed. You tend to base your opinions around what your "tribe" believes

Youre thinking isnt that easily changed. You tend to base your opinions around what your "tribe" believes

That's what I -just- said in my post that you quoted: "and what the community around us wants"

I'm not trying to break your balls by any means, but you can trust my knowledge on this subject, whether my knowledge is wrong or right.

That's what I -just- said in my post that you quoted: "and what the community around us wants"

I'm not trying to break your balls by any means, but you can trust my knowledge on this subject, whether my knowledge is wrong or right.
Im not quite sure what youre arguing. You seem to agree with what scott is promoting. Give the book a shot. Its like $5

Im not quite sure what youre arguing. You seem to agree with what scott is promoting. Give the book a shot. Its like $5

lol Fair enough my friend, and I may well do so and skip over that chapter.

I'm sure his heart is in the right place, but his understanding of how people work is a bit off in my estimation.

Just my estimation. Perhaps from flawed understanding, perhaps from my tribe, perhaps from what I simply want to believe, so do take my understanding for what it is worth in your mind.

He was calm the entire time, while harris got angry. Sam harris himself even said he was triggered

Was very weird to listen to. I felt like Harris failed to put on his debate pants and let Adams look good without really making a great case.
It almost seemed like Sam was too respectful to Adams.

Adams argument reminded me of an apologist like William Lane Craig using the Divine Command Theory.
Along the lines of: Trump is infallible, and if something he says or does seems less than perfect it's because he's testing our faith, and what he says is true is true because it came from him.

It was one of those well thought out logical arguments rooted in rhetoric that really doesn't have any explanatory value. Something that Sam would usually eat for breakfast.

In so far as a scientific statement speaks about reality, it must be falsifiable; and in so far as it is not falsifiable, it does not speak about reality.
-Karl Popper

He then goes on to explain how pretty much every belief you have is an illusion. Which is actually a concept that sam harris promotes. My problem with harris is that hes now trying to push his own version of a moral compass. When for years hes been preaching that morals and free will are illusions
He's never said this, in fact he wrote a book arguing that science can give us morality.

He's never said this, in fact he wrote a book arguing that science can give us morality.
Thats what im saying. hes trying to create a moral code from a scientific standpoint. It really makes no sense and is an illusion as well, hes just trying to create his own code of ethics with guise of science being the backbone. My hunch is that he is trying to appeal to an audience, rather who view his typical philosophy to be too nihilistic

Back