Seattle's Crusade Against "The Rich": $47 million Head Tax is repealed a month after it was signed

Frankly western WA as a whole needs fucking rent control. It wouldn't cure the homeless problem but it'd help. My town 2 hours north is ridiculous.

$1000 a month for a 400 sq ft studio?

Give me a fucking break.

You not liking my posts is an opinion, not a fact. Weak people tend to confuse the two because they're clawing for anything to make themselves feel stronger. Weak people like you also love pretending you speak for everyone else. Another sign of insecurity, because you implicitly accept how irrelevant your opinion is on its own.
Not much point spending time going at it with you anymore, nothing of value would be gained exchanging anything with you.

Know another thing fucked about Seattle? They put fucking tolls on I-90 and I-405...

I thought States/municipalities couldn't toll Federal Interstate Highways... hence the short name of "Free"way.

“Make big businesses pay”
*Watches big businesses leave

Seattle City Council committee approves Head-Tax proposal, send to full Council vote next week
By Daniel Beekman, Seattle Times staff reporter | May 11, 2018

05112018_City-Council_1004132-780x520.jpg

Calvin Priest, a political organizer, urges the Seattle City Council on Friday to adopt a tax on large employers. A council committee rejected a proposal from Mayor Jenny Durkan, voting for a bigger tax supported by five council members, including Priest’s wife, Kshama Sawant.

A split Seattle City Council voted Friday to send a $75-million-per-year tax on large employers to the full council, rejecting a smaller tax offered the night before by Mayor Jenny Durkan.

The money would be used to address the city’s homelessness crisis.

Durkan’s plan was a counter to the larger tax supported by five City Council members, which has been under consideration for weeks. She had four council backers.

Council members took the votes — first rejecting the Durkan proposal, then approving the original plan — during a finance-committee meeting. Both tallies were 5-4.

The full council could vote as early as Monday. A new law needs five votes to pass and six to override a mayoral veto. Durkan has signaled she would veto the plan.

Friday’s action means city leaders likely will spend the weekend working on a deal capable of attracting six votes.

Seattle’s economy has boomed with help from Amazon and other tech companies. But as rents and home prices have risen, homelessness also has grown. The city’s shelters are packed, affordable housing is beyond scarce and a record 169 people died on the streets in King County last year.

The proposed tax would be paid by about 600 companies — 3 percent of the city’s businesses.

People in Seattle are “dying on the doorstep of prosperity” and the city must act boldly to assist them, Councilmember Teresa Mosqueda said before voting with the majority.

The mayor’s proposal was aimed at gaining support from business leaders who have expressed outrage at the larger tax and from construction-worker unions worried about the tax slowing development.

But Durkan said her plan would produce only 250 units of affordable housing over five years, an amount Councilmember Mike O’Brien called “woefully inadequate.”

Amazon, which paused construction planning for an office tower over the larger proposal, was on board with the mayor’s plan, according to a representative from the Seattle Building Trades Union.

Heading into the weekend, some business leaders remained frustrated. Jon Scholes, president of the Downtown Seattle Association, said any “tax on jobs” would be bad policy.

“I don’t think anybody will look back on these three or four weeks in this city and say they’ve been good for our economic brand,” Scholes said.

Councilmembers Lisa Herbold, M. Lorena González, O’Brien and Mosqueda are the sponsors of the larger proposal and have backing from colleague Kshama Sawant.

Rather than impose the so-called head tax of about $500 per employee, per year on for-profit companies that gross at least $20 million per year in Seattle, Durkan’s proposal would have charged $250 per head.

Council President Bruce Harrell and Councilmembers Sally Bagshaw, Rob Johnson and Debora Juarez supported the mayor’s plan, which Durkan said would have raised about $40 million per year.

The mayor’s tax would have stayed unchanged for five years and then required a renewal. Under the plan that prevailed Friday, the head tax would switch to a 0.7 percent payroll tax in 2021.

The competing political blocs have different ideas about how to spend money raised by a new tax, with the council majority more focused on affordable housing and Durkan more on emergency options.

For a few minutes, it looked like the sponsors of the larger proposal were ready to alter their plan in search of a deal.

They offered to scrap the payroll-tax transition and reduce the tax to $180 per head in 2024. Herbold even offered to reduce the tax to $350 per head from the start.

But a strange alliance defeated those overtures, which were seen by the council’s Durkan-allied bloc as not enough of a compromise and by Sawant as too much of one.

“No Bezos-Durkan deal!” some people watching the council meeting chanted, referring to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.

In a statement reacting to Friday’s action, the mayor again laid out her position.

“Working together, we must do everything we can to support and create good family wage jobs,” Durkan said. “Unfortunately, the bill that passed out of committee hurts workers by stopping these good jobs, so I cannot support it.”

She added, “In recent weeks, I’ve heard from thousands of constituents, hundreds of businesses of all sizes, dozens of unions and advocates. Seattle wants us to forge common ground … I will continue to work with council and remain hopeful that council will pass a bill that I can sign.”

Asked about Durkan’s proposal, a Starbucks spokesman reiterated what the company’s public-affairs chief said Wednesday — that the city should reform its homelessness programs and show results before it seeks more money.

King County Executive Dow Constantine on Thursday said Seattle’s head-tax push should be halted in favor of a regional approach.

On Friday, U.S. Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Seattle, came out for a head tax, arguing Washington state’s tax system is regressive and has left the city with few options.

Unions representing supermarket, hotel and home-health workers have backed the larger tax.

The sponsors of the legislation that moved forward Friday say Seattle could, with their tax, boost spending on street services while producing more than 1,700 units of low-income housing over five years.

Durkan and her allies would put more emphasis than the council majority on dealing with unauthorized encampments.

In general, actual spending decisions are made when the mayor and council set the city budget each November.

González said the goal should be “not just seeing less tents,” but also “reducing the amount of human suffering that is outside this building right now as we sit here and debate.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...tax-package-rejects-durkans-more-modest-plan/

Last edited:
Kshama Sawant, union front group push to ‘prosecute Amazon’
By Jason Rantz | May 9, 2018

Kshama-Sawant-2_AP_620-1.jpg

Councilmember Kshama Sawant has officially jumped the shark and has become unhinged.

What used to seem like a politician playing to her crowd, staying on brand, has morphed into the desperate, unhinged rantings of a bully desperate to hold onto the power and influence she once had.

Working in tandem with the union front group Working Washington, the claim is that Amazon should be prosecuted for “intimidating a public servant.”

The intimidation? Amazon pausing the expansion of their business in Seattle until they see if the ‘head tax’ passes.

So, in other words, if you’re a business that doesn’t support council policy, you’re somehow intimidating politicians? This would be considered chilling and alarming if anyone took Sawant or the union front group seriously. But instead, it’ll be viewed for what it is: a reaction from ideological bullies who are becoming more and more irrelevant.

Sawant tweeted out the call from Working Washington, which claims in a letter:

“As you know, on May 2nd, a top Amazon executive stated the company was “putting a pause” on expansion in Seattle in an attempt to influence the city council to reject a proposed $0.26/hour tax on the largest companies in the city to address our housing and homelessness crisis. This was a clear threat by Amazon to do substantial harm to the business and financial condition of the city of Seattle if public officials did not act as they demanded.”

I can only assume this logic extends to the 100 businesses speaking out against the misguided head tax. I assume Dick’s Drive-In, Ethan Stowell Restaurants, and Rachel’s Ginger Beer writing editorials or appearing on radio shows to speak out may also be prosecuted. Alaska Air and Expedia: watch out! Sawant and her crazies are coming after you.

This is, of course, laughable.

Using their logic, any business that tries to engage in protected political speech — or simply adjust their business model to mitigate the damage done by legislation — is guilty of “intimidation” somehow. Indeed, any union that walks off the job in protest, is also attempting to influence legislation or politicians.

We’ve reached peak parody at this point. Only, I don’t think Working Washington and Sawant realize they’re insane.

http://mynorthwest.com/983054/kshama-sawant-union-front-group-push-to-prosecute-amazon/?

Washington State's Attorney General slapped down call for Felony prosecution of Amazon over dialed-back expansion
By Jim Brunner Seattle Times political reporter | May 11, 2018

153133-640x427.jpg

Washington State Attorney General Bob Ferguson has slapped down a union-backed activist group’s call for a felony prosecution of Amazon over the company’s threat to dial back job expansion in Seattle amid the city’s debate over a head tax on large businesses.

Working Washington, a Seattle-based activist group, had publicly asked Ferguson in an open letter to charge Amazon with the crime of “intimidating a public servant” – a class B felony under state law. The group is supporting the head-tax plan backed by five City Council members to raise an estimated $75 million a year for housing and services aimed at the homelessness crisis.

The prosecution request already had been met with skepticism and even mockery from some legal experts, who said the group was twisting a law aimed at protecting public officials from personal threats.

Ferguson, a Democrat in his second term as attorney general, agreed Friday that Working Washington’s request was legally off base.

In a letter to Dmitri Iglitzin, an attorney for Working Washington, Ferguson wrote that he generally refrains from publicly analyzing laws absent an official request for a binding attorney general opinion. But given the “significant public attention” to Working Washington’s request, Ferguson asked his staff to provide an analysis.

“After an initial assessment, we find there is no legal basis for invoking the ‘Intimidating a Public Servant’ provision of the Washington criminal code in this instance, based on the facts set forth in the letter, nor would the facts meet the burden of proof and test of culpability necessary to support a criminal prosecution,” Ferguson wrote. “I hope this message is helpful to you and your counsel.”

Working Washington spokesman Sage Wilson responded in a texted statement: “It is extraordinary that Amazon’s subprime mob boss behavior was so brutal it ignited a citywide debate over whether it was actually in fact criminal. All this because the richest human in the world wants to try to avoid stepping up to address our city’s homelessness crisis.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...y-prosecution-of-amazon-over-head-tax-threat/

Last edited:
Editorial: Accusing Amazon of a felony shows skewed logic
May 11, 2018

Amazon_HQ2_Proposal_Map__Day_1_Seattle_WA-640x411.jpg

A chalk depiction of the 238 proposals from cities and regions in 54 states, provinces, districts and territories across North America that Amazon received in regards to HQ2 locations

Ignoring a blatant cry for attention is sometimes wise.

But when a group’s publicity stunt effectively equates opposition to a policy proposal with a felony crime, it veers into more sinister territory.

The labor-backed group Working Washington urges the state’s attorney general to prosecute Amazon for “intimidating a public servant,” a class B felony. Working Washington, which has long demonstrated a flair for the dramatic, says Amazon’s move to halt construction on an office tower and sublease another building amounts to not just a hardball tactic, but a form of felony intimidation designed to push the Seattle City Council to reject a controversial “head tax” on employee hours.

Attorney General Bob Ferguson initially declined to comment on the matter, as did the office of King County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Satterberg, the agency with the actual power to initiate such a prosecution.

But on Friday, Ferguson took an unusual step by asserting the obvious: that there would be no legal basis to prosecute Amazon based on the facts provided.

Ferguson was right to call out Working Washington for making outrageous claims that aren’t supported by the law. While doing so, however, he failed to address the deeper problem with the group’s underhanded tactic: the potential to stifle public debate.

Working Washington’s call for criminal prosecution goes beyond calling Amazon’s bluff, or accusing the company of being a bully (which the group has also done). By the organization’s tortured logic, a small-business owner who testifies that a policy proposal will force them to close their doors or relocate could potentially be accused of felony intimidation, since shuttering their business would deprive the city of tax revenue.

Similarly, citizens urging the rejection of a school levy could be accused of intimidating a public servant, since their actions, if successful, would lead to a school district not collecting property taxes in the future. The same could be said of customers who organize a boycott on sugar-filled drinks, depriving the city of expected revenue from a tax on soda.

Also potential felons, under Working Washington’s reasoning? Voters who vow to turn a mayor out of office if he or she doesn’t veto a proposed tax, said Hugh Spitzer, an acting professor of law at the University of Washington.

After all, those voters would be threatening the mayor’s precious taxpayer-funded salary. This type of threat creates an unsettling precedent in our public discourse: That those who disagree with pending legislation may be accused of criminal acts if they issue dire warnings about a plan’s effects.

To his credit, Ferguson eventually set the record straight by calling out Working Washington’s legally dubious charade. He could have gone further, though, by elaborating on exactly why their request is so odious in a democratic society.

Lobbing criminal accusations in policy debates is a tactic that could easily be misused to suppress free speech and impede the political process down the road.

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/editorials/accusing-amazon-of-a-felony-shows-skewed-logic/

Frankly western WA as a whole needs fucking rent control. It wouldn't cure the homeless problem but it'd help. My town 2 hours north is ridiculous.

$1000 a month for a 400 sq ft studio?

Give me a fucking break.

fuck rent control... i'm in the midst of buying a couple condos to rent out down there...

Unsubstantiated assumption. You continue to make that claim and still have yet to back it up. You basically just gloss over the comparison....just enough to make it seem valid, but not enough to jeopardize your conclusion. Lazy conclusion making.

I am looking at the lack of particulars on your end. You want to make comparisons without doing much work to substantiate them. Call it "looking at universals" if you want. In debate that's just called being vague. Running away towards generalities is what people do when they can't sort out the details.

You mean you are simpleton who can't see the big picture. lol at arguing about my claims being unsubstantiated. More literalist thinking. We are in the realm of logic here. Try to think in concepts not in blunt objects. Use your logic. That the free market works it out. Did that happen with segregation? Did the free market just work that out or did the government have to step in? Workers rights in general. Free market? Or government intervention?

nothing vague at all at using your own logic against you. maybe it is just too big for your brain. You are incapable of rational thought. It is a simple concept though. Let's apply your logic of faith in the invisible hand to other situations and see how it played out.

implement a 1 percent income tax across the board towards the bums fund -- see how fast Seattle / Washington starts sweeping the homeless into the woods.

implement a 1 percent income tax across the board towards the bums fund -- see how fast Seattle / Washington starts sweeping the homeless into the woods.

there's already a B&O tax and many companies already pay more than 1% for the pleasure of having a business in washington.. i pay 1.5% on gross receipts.. not net receipts..

Lol...250k a year is not rich.

Implement a voluntary basis state tax there.
Let's see if Washington's liberals put their money where their mouth is.

Exactly, 250k a year in seattle is about minimum needed to buy a single family house that someone working in a factory could have afforded 30 years ago

Seattle is a disgusting piece of shit city. I'm cheering for Amazon in this one. I hope they bankrupt the entire place.
I've got a visitor from Germany here for the weekend and he wanted to see Seattle

He was shocked, to say the least. He asked me non stop "is he on drugs? Are they on drugs?" Lol

Exactly, 250k a year in seattle is about minimum needed to buy a single family house that someone working in a factory could have afforded 30 years ago

They've also added 200,000 people since then. How do you think that affects houseing prices?

You mean you are simpleton who can't see the big picture. lol at arguing about my claims being unsubstantiated. More literalist thinking. We are in the realm of logic here. Try to think in concepts not in blunt objects. Use your logic. That the free market works it out. Did that happen with segregation? Did the free market just work that out or did the government have to step in? Workers rights in general. Free market? Or government intervention?

nothing vague at all at using your own logic against you. maybe it is just too big for your brain. You are incapable of rational thought. It is a simple concept though. Let's apply your logic of faith in the invisible hand to other situations and see how it played out.
It sounds like you've never proved anything in your life. Because the bottom line is that you still haven't made a convincing case, regardless of your convoluted explanation. The jury doesn't care about any of that.

Back