Second watch of Saul-GGG

Kemeticsoul

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
after all the emotion has died down, I challenge everyone to watch it again....confirmation bias aside.

What Struck me about watching again was the sheer amount of punches 3G missed. Canelo made GGG miss a fuck ton of punches and in many instances afterwards, made him pay.

I had Canelo sweeping the first four rounds quite clearly. Round 4 could be argued for GGG but I feel Saul landed the bigger cleaner shots. Rounds 5-6-7-8-9 could easily be scored for GGG but a round or two in the middle rounds could be swing rounds.

Now rounds 10-11-12 I had Canelo winning.

Rounds 10 and 4 could also be argued for GGG but again, upon second viewing I feel Canelo landed the better stuff with better defense.

7-5 for Canelo.

I would like to hear some opinions of those who watched it again.

No matter what, the most clear thing in my mind, you can't claim robbery for either fighter and you could easily have a case for either fighter winning.

With that said, I thought the rounds Canelo won were more clear cut than the rounds GGG won.

Canelo was making triple G miss but the problem I saw Canelo would get stuck playing defense at times and Golovkin would still out-work him. Same thing that made Lara lose to Canelo.

As far as the first four rounds, I think I gave Golovkin the third and the fourth, but saw the fourth as one of those swing rounds.

I scored it 115-113 for canelo on my second viewing. I found rounds 3,4, 5, 7 and 10 hard to score. The fight was close and i'm ok with the draw. I need to watch it a few more times though.

I scored it 8-4 for Golovkin at my second watch. In my books Golovkin won 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 & 11.

It all becomes clear after the 7th viewing.

Stay the course.

Watch it backwards in x1.5 speed while listening to early Pink Floyd and smoking bud and you get it 118-110.

Very close fight. I'm ok with the decision. Punchstats are also fairly close.. Canelo had a pretty good connect rate, especially on his power shots. I have no problem with the decision of the fight.. Aside from the 118-110 attrocity

after all the emotion has died down, I challenge everyone to watch it again....confirmation bias aside.

What Struck me about watching again was the sheer amount of punches 3G missed. Canelo made GGG miss a fuck ton of punches and in many instances afterwards, made him pay.

I had Canelo sweeping the first four rounds quite clearly. Round 4 could be argued for GGG but I feel Saul landed the bigger cleaner shots. Rounds 5-6-7-8-9 could easily be scored for GGG but a round or two in the middle rounds could be swing rounds.

Rounds 10 and 4 could also be argued for GGG but again, upon second viewing I feel Canelo landed the better stuff with better defense.

7-5 for Canelo.

No matter what, the most clear thing in my mind, you can't claim robbery for either fighter and you could easily have a case for either fighter winning.

With that said, I thought the rounds Canelo won were more clear cut than the rounds GGG won.
I had 7-5 Canelo winning.
If he comes out and beats GGG in the rematch, I think he's p4p #1

The fight was close. I don't think a draw is a bad decision, it's mostly just one terrible scorecard that has given the fight a bad reputation. The fact that it is consistent with Canelo is going to end up being a part of his legacy, which is a real shame.

The fight was close. I don't think a draw is a bad decision, it's mostly just one terrible scorecard that has given the fight a bad reputation. The fact that it is consistent with Canelo is going to end up being a part of his legacy, which is a real shame.

If he wanted to Canelo could probably tell Oscar to knock it off.

1st viewing thought ggg had it 7-5
2nd viewing canelo 7-5

Made ggg miss alot and had some good counter shots.

Watched it again this morning.

Golovkin won eight rounds.

I dunno what you lot are on about, TBH. How do you win rounds when one guy is repeatedly outlanding you, & the other guy's punches are at least as hard as your own?

Man one thing I noticed after watching it for fourth time now , a lot of canelos shots were deflected, he definately landed flush sometimes but not as much as I thought, his body work was good. But once again I really do think ggg was robbed once he woke up in after the 4th he dictated that fight up until the 12

Ggg has superb defense for a fighter with that particular style its remarkable

What is becoming apparent is that even those agreeing on the overall winner, are still disputing the individual scoring of rounds. The system is inherently subjective:
  • Clean punching (power versus quantity).
  • Effective aggressiveness.
  • Ring generalship.
  • Defense.
I also scored it as per the official criteria of : Either a boxer won a close 10/9 round, a moderate 10/9 round, or a decisive.

When I scored it the second time by that official criteria, keeping in mind what a scoring punch is vs a non scoring punch, and also understanding the term "Effective Aggressiveness". I had it 115-113 GGG. Rounds 1,6,7,8,9,10,11 all 10-9 (moderate) for GGG. And 2,3,4,5,12, for Canelo, all 10-9 (moderate) with the exception on round 3 which I scored 10-9 (close).

On my card, the only round in dispute according to the official criteria is round 3, I gave it to Canelo, and obviously still had GGG winning the bout.

It all becomes clear after the 7th viewing.

Stay the course.

This. I mean, really just think about what Max Kelermsn says. "Who would you rather be at the end of the round?" And apply that to the entire fight as well. I know it's a sport and individual rounds are scored, but I think I would rather have been GGG after most rounds and certainly after the fight.

7-5 for Canelo.

But thats not what Teddy Atlas said!

7-5 for Canelo.

Watched it agai for the fourth time at the office, still have ggg 115 113 clearly , like I said in another discussion I noticed a lot of canelos shots were deflected definitely landed flush (how ggg wasn't affected by that upper is beyond me )but not nearly as much as o thought, he had great body work but ggg controlled him since the fourth. Genady was very looked very uncomfortable fighting on the back foot and canelo s corner pointed it out several times during the fight but canelo wasn't able to keep him fighting like that,ggg does not get enough credit for his defense . I've said it since the beggining I thought ggg was robbed still think ggg was robbed and no bias I like both fighters

Cmon guys, let's be completely real here. As far as effective punching went, you know, the kind that puts a guy away, as far as those shots landed Canelo beat the fuck out of GGG Saturday night. Don't even pretend you didn't see Canelo confident enough to walk GGG down during the latter half of the fight. Each round he came to the center of the ring and beat Gennady up, and then seemed too exhausted to keep punching, and backed to the ropes again to counter.

Only thing that kept GGG in this fight was Canelo's conditioning, his activity counted for a lot more when Canelo was on the ropes doing nothing. Sorry, but Canelo knows how to make someone pay, and his punches were visibly moving GGG and affecting him more.

A draw made sense to me, but I need to score the fight.

Canelo takes rematch easy.

Cmon guys, let's be completely real here. As far as effective punching went, you know, the kind that puts a guy away, as far as those shots landed Canelo beat the fuck out of GGG Saturday night. Don't even pretend you didn't see Canelo confident enough to walk GGG down during the latter half of the fight. Each round he came to the center of the ring and beat Gennady up, and then seemed too exhausted to keep punching, and backed to the ropes again to counter.

Only thing that kept GGG in this fight was Canelo's conditioning, his activity counted for a lot more when Canelo was on the ropes doing nothing. Sorry, but Canelo knows how to make someone pay, and his punches were visibly moving GGG and affecting him more.

A draw made sense to me, but I need to score the fight.

Canelo takes rematch easy.

No being real in that post. Only your perception. Also the last sentence is based on nothing.

Man one thing I noticed after watching it for fourth time now , a lot of canelos shots were deflected, he definately landed flush sometimes but not as much as I thought, his body work was good. But once again I really do think ggg was robbed once he woke up in after the 4th he dictated that fight up until the 12

Ggg has superb defense for a fighter with that particular style its remarkable

I started to notice the same thing as the fight progressed.

I noticed that triple G was catching Canelos shots with his shoulders, and also at times when Canelo would dig to the body Triple G would got down and block the shots with his elbows.

Back