Seeing old friend can be very depressing

mommas homeboy

Women with dicks are women too!
Reaction score
Most people would like to think that catching up with old friends—you may have not seen in many years—feels really good. But the truth is that some of the people you know, may currently lead pathetic lives. This can be especially sad when you think about what they once were, and what you thought they’d become.

I’m not talking about fame or fortune either. Just having a good job, and a pretty wife, or SO, seem to be things some of my old friends couldn’t do to save their lives. In addition to not having either of these things, some of them have aged terribly, and have a laundry list of personal problems. Most importantly though, they’re very unhappy.

Of course, some of my friends are doing really well, and seeing them is great. But does anybody sympathize with me? I’m throwing an online pity party for guys whose friends have completely fallen off. And if you’re one of the guys who’ve fallen off, and don’t like to see old friends who are “successful” because it reminds you of what a loser you are, you’re welcome to join in too.

Sounds like you're projecting. I mean, location Kansas City? Surely this couldn't have been your long-term aspiration

As Max would say, It is what it is. That's part of life, that's part of hanging out with a bunch of bums in jr high and high school.

Back in the day, it was fun to hang out with idiots.

the good news is the older you get the more of them die!
some of my friends are doing real well, some real bad. some didnt make it past 20.
life is funny

Sounds like you're projecting. I mean, location Kansas City? Surely this couldn't have been your long-term aspiration

Very funny. And very true. I actually don’t live in Kansas City. But if I did, I think I’d probably be as sad and unsuccessful as some of my friends are.

But I do think that most people know at least a few old friends whose lives are very disappointing. These friends themselves would likely admit that their lives suck ass. I’m sure there are also many guys out there who were lucky enough to grow up with a group of friends who are almost all currently successful and happy.

the good news is the older you get the more of them die!
some of my friends are doing real well, some real bad. some didnt make it past 20.
life is funny

Yeah, you’re right. Maybe I should have labeled this thread, “Life is a bitch, and many dreams don’t come true.”

One of the top 3 hottest girls from my high school ended up fat and working at Subway. It wasn't even sad more like I couldn't compute.

If Bourdains suicide has taughte anything it's that you could have the most perfect life, objectivley speaking and still be absolutely miserable on the inside.

We all know fortune doesn't always equate to happiness but it's the little things that matter. Well what if you were someone like Bourdain who pretty much had it all. Ate the best food, was well respected internationally, dating a hot younger Italian broad and had all that fortune to boot and were miserable after all that.

The human condition has a level of suffering that we will never understand.

If Bourdains suicide has taughte anything it's that you could have the most perfect life, objectivley speaking and still be absolutely miserable on the inside.

We all know fortune doesn't always equate to happiness but it's the little things that matter. Well what if you were someone like Bourdain who pretty much had it all. Ate the best food, was well respected internationally, dating a hot younger Italian broad and had all that fortune to boot and were miserable after all that.

The human condition has a level of suffering that we will never understand.

This is very true. Maybe some of the people who appear to have “fallen off” are actually very happy, and vice versa. It’s a lot more complex than it may appear to be.

But if someone openly says they are miserable, I would believe they very likely are.

A high school friend died back in March. He was a born leader, a true uniter, friend to everyone.. we used to plan his run for Mayor for hahas. Alcoholism and diabetes ran in his family and wrecked him, wrecked him bad.. Meh.

This is very true. Maybe some of the people who appear to have “fallen off” are actually very happy, and vice versa. It’s a lot more complex than it may appear to be.

But if someone openly says they are miserable, I would believe they very likely are.
Absolutely.

Misery is apart of the human experience. We can never fully escape it.

I bumped into some late 90's/early 2000's rock yesterday and suffered extreme feels/nostalgia, almost overwhelming

Ended up listening to the space jam soundtrack on YouTube, got pumped listening to the slam jam song. That was a nice mood lift but I cried like a little bitch when I believe I can fly came on.

Yep and I'm sure TS only bangs 10s, lifts the 275, etc. C'mon man.

The Offspring song "The Kids Aren't Alright" really hits the nail on the head.

I moved away about 12 years ago, and make it back 4 or so times a year. It's always strange going back, because for the most part nothing changes, other than someone maybe died.

It's just small town life, everyone mostly works blue collar factory/construction jobs, and they never leave the area or even show the desire to travel anywhere different. They follow the same routine their parents did, of working to get through the week, and then Friday and Saturday night posting up at Mickey's bar in town.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, and when I do run into any of the people I grew up with they're always cool and happy to catch up. I always just feel like I'm living in a Bruce Springsteen song when I'm there.

Yep and I'm sure TS only bangs 10s, lifts the 275, etc. C'mon man.

I’ve never understood Sherdog posters’ obsession with the amount you can bench press, but whatever.

I definitely don’t bang only tens. I have one chick who’s an 8. I’m also not super wealthy or muscular. Still, I’m a lot better off than many of the people I grew up with.

Thanks TS. I just booked a trip where I'm gonna see an old friend. :(

Back