Seeing old friend can be very depressing

Hey man,

What about seeing a Friend, a friend who was always the cooledt, kept your crew together. The man, who everyone always liked the most

Say this person had a sister who turned into a violent demon infested bipolar schizophrenic who ate his whole family from the inside. Nobody know last how to deal with that properly, it's impossible and their efforts will never get anywhere and they all know it. Say his mom gets cancer. Say his beloved father does suddenly of a heart attack. Say his family grows apart bc they simply can't deal with the pain or stress or responsibility.

Say your Friend always tried though, and so much of his money and effort went to family before self. Say his family and cancer stricken mother were left with nothing. Say he tried with his own money and own time over his life to take care of sick mom and sister without real help for. Anyone else.

Would you abandon him because it makes you feel bad to be around such a terrible situation and you can't stand it?

Happens too often, and nobody is in the wrong. Life is complicated

A lot of people in high school grow to be talkative and confident.

What's sad is when someone outgoing/energtic grows to become shy and softspoken, and lost/gained a ton of weight

If Bourdains suicide has taughte anything it's that you could have the most perfect life, objectivley speaking and still be absolutely miserable on the inside.

We all know fortune doesn't always equate to happiness but it's the little things that matter. Well what if you were someone like Bourdain who pretty much had it all. Ate the best food, was well respected internationally, dating a hot younger Italian broad and had all that fortune to boot and were miserable after all that.

The human condition has a level of suffering that we will never understand.

So fucking true.

Bourdains suicide threw me for a loop. If you could have that rad of a life, at that age...wtf does that say about his inner demons.

RIP.

one of the most popular party guys from my highschool is now the most pathetic guy in the world.

he is 30 and literally looks 60. his back is fucked and hes fucked on drugs. can't hold a job down and both his brothers ODed and died in their early 20s. he basically just gets high all day in a lazyboy chair living off the government.

He used to be a really good skater and super popular guy who threw the biggest and best parties.

I bumped into some late 90's/early 2000's rock yesterday and suffered extreme feels/nostalgia, almost overwhelming

Ended up listening to the space jam soundtrack on YouTube, got pumped listening to the slam jam song. That was a nice mood lift but I cried like a little bitch when I believe I can fly came on.

I'm going to ignite the fact that you cried at that song, and ask you a question.. When you get that overwhelmed feeling watching something from your youth, is it like a feeling of anxiety knowing you will never live it again? Like, wanting to go back? I've been getting that a little lately.

A lot of people in high school grow to be talkative and confident.

What's sad is when someone outgoing/energtic grows to become shy and softspoken, and lost/gained a ton of weight

Often that most talkative and funny people are those hurting the most on the inside, and putting on a front to not let other people know or bother anyone with their problems

As they get older maybe they just lose the ability to even put on the facade

I was the "class clown" in school and generally known as the funny guy. Now I dont even speak to anyone unless I'm spoken to

It's hard to live without any dreams left...

That's horseshit. My list of stuff I'd like to do is so long that I'll never get through it. THe only somewhat depressing thing is that I can see that I won't be able to some of the physical stuff for that many more years (rock climbing, mountaineering).

I concur it can be very depressing indeed. Bumped into a very old friend of mine I hadn't seen in about 20 years. He was a chronic junkie and looked about as good as you would expect from someone who'd been on smack for about 25 years. Few weeks later I heard the news he'd od'd and I said my final farewell at his funeral.

Sounds like you're projecting. I mean, location Kansas City? Surely this couldn't have been your long-term aspiration

i don't live in kansas city or anything, but not all people want to live in large, metropolitan areas. some people enjoy smaller towns and cities, and some even enjoy the sticks. just putting that out there. for some, lots of needless money is thrown down the drain to live in a large, urban city.

I'll try to give you a bit of advice; just be happy to see them. Don't get sad, don't think about their problems, don't worry how their life turned out, just be happy to see them. Be nice and non judgmental, that will help you get through these situations.

to add onto this, not everyone is seeking the same things in life. adding your own expectations onto others isn't healthy, to be quite frank. people seek different things in lfie.

Maybe you should stop to look at what peoples' jobs are.

You can have the best job in the World and still have a shitty life.

haven't read any posts other than the OP's, so this point may have been made,

what is depressing about meeting old friends is how vastly different I am from some of them, some, I could hang out with again like zero time has past, others, i'm glad to let them go about their day with a parting, ''so its been great seeing you, we should go for a beer and watch a game some time'', with zero intention of it happening.

Last edited:
One of the top 3 hottest girls from my high school ended up fat and working at Subway. It wasn't even sad more like I couldn't compute.
I had a similar experience.

My graduating class was about 700 students, so it was hard to quantify just who was the hottest top 20, let alone 3. I'll just say a girl I remember as being smoking back in the day was working the deli counter at my local supermarket looking sad, depressed, and looked as if she was still smoking... three packs a day. Every day. Her skin looked horrible and her voice sounded like it belongs on a toad.

“No one could endure lasting adversity if it continued to have the same force as when it first hit us. We are all tied to Fortune, some by a loose and golden chain, and others by a tight one of baser metal: but what does it matter? We are all held in the same captivity, and those who have bound others are themselves in bonds - unless you think perhaps that the left-hand chain is lighter. One man is bound by high office, another by wealth; good birth weighs down some, and a humble origin others; some bow under the rule of other men and some under their own; some are restricted to one place by exile, others by priesthoods: all life is a servitude.
So you have to get used to your circumstances, complain about them as little as possible, and grasp whatever advantage they have to offer: no condition is so bitter that a stable mind cannot find some consolation in it.”

“True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future, not to amuse ourselves with either hopes or fears but to rest satisfied with what we have, which is sufficient, for he that is so wants nothing. The greatest blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not.”

“Learning how to live takes a whole life, and, which may surprise you more, it takes a whole life to learn how to die.”

Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

I made a decision in high school to stop hanging with my friends because they were not going places, they always started fights and treated women like garbage, some of them began to have sex with hookers as well!

Today, my new friends are mostly highly successful businessmen with careers that make my own look Chael Sonnen’s career as a realtor!

So I should perhaps look for new friends again...

Ha . Your post makes me reflect on the kinda crazily diverse range of friends I have man. All the way from Executives at National banks, Successful attorneys , Auto mechanic , BJJ black belt running his own school , bartenders to a plumber. Those are all pretty good long-term friends too and not just acquaintances. I don't notice a difference in intrinsic happiness among them .

Kind of a similar situation with a couple girls I was classmates with in high school. Decent looking girls, I'd say around an 8, but they were also really good students, sociable, and pretty well grounded. We didn't think; everyone just knew for sure that they'd do well and succeed in life. Somehow, it didn't work out that way, one of them is stuck as a restaurant waitress and the other bounced from one low wage job to another for years then just dropped off the face of the Earth, no one knows what happened to her.
Yeah high school is way too early to tell and you don't realize that until later on. A lot of people peak then and that's really what's sad. Not everyone is doing shit though.

I had a similar experience.

My graduating class was about 700 students, so it was hard to quantify just who was the hottest top 20, let alone 3. I'll just say a girl I remember as being smoking back in the day was working the deli counter at my local supermarket looking sad, depressed, and looked as if she was still smoking... three packs a day. Every day. Her skin looked horrible and her voice sounded like it belongs on a toad.
I haven't seen for myself but I hear the cool guy from my graduating class is a junkie with rotted out teeth these days.

Meh, I try not to judge. I did one time, and I had to re-evaluate my outlook.

Caught up with an old friend at a wedding. On the surface, the guy seemed like a loser. Unemployed, and living with his mother. Figured he didn't have his shit together. Not to get into any details, but I found out later that he essentially gave up everything, to take care of his mother. Couldn't bring himself to put her in a home, after she was diagnosed with some mental disease. Paid off her house, gave up his job, and moved in to care for her. Don't ask me how he gets by caring for her with no job(benefits of some kind, I'm guessing), but damn. I felt like such an asshole for thinking he was just some lazy cunt.

I've got a good mate that I grew up with and he's not doing so good, he got divorced and has two kids but doesn't see them much, he's on the meth. Ive tried to call him the past few weeks but he's not answering, last I heard he was kicked out of his parents house (he's 37), lost his job cause he failed a piss test and is living on someone's couch.

what is this peaking in highschool ?

highschools just a fading memory neither here or there. peaking at 15-16-17, you guys serious ?

Back