Seeking advice in regards to a special needs client and Fortnite Battle Royale

salamander

Promethium Belt
Banned
Reaction score
I'm mulling over a request from one of my clients who is 11 years old and has ODD and a bit of FASD.

At times he functions at a four year old level, has problems pronuncing his R's and L's and has toilet training issues, but he is quite intelligent in a lot of ways. We use sticks and carrots with him. If he finishes his chores and lessons, then he gets to play on his chromebook for half an hour (and then an hour on thursdays.) Often times he tries to jail-house lawyer me for extra time and it becomes a major issue depending on his current wavelength.

Over the past week he has been bugging me and his parents to allow him to download Fortnite Battle Royale on his Nintendo Switch.

On his chromebook he was playing ROBLOX GAMES https://www.roblox.com/games/?SortFilter=default&TimeFilter=0 and I.O Games http://iogames.space/.

He used to LOVE playing those games. I'd get all my sherdogging done during those times. However now, seemingly out of the blue he has declared these games to be "Cwap." and demands to use the Nintendo Switch. But the games that he has for the switch that I have judged to be appropriate for him Splatoon 2, Donkey and Doney Kong Country are also somehow "Cwap"

And it's hard enough to take those carrots away from him once we reach the time limit. His parents hot-potatoed the decision to me (thanks alot guys), and now today we got absolutely nothing done because B. has been wheedling the fuck of me; it's in his head.

Whats worse, everyone in his afternoon class seems to be playing it and it's all they talk about.

Now I've played the game previously and got up to level 15 before I lost interest. I personally find the experience repetitive, and my reflexses just can't compete with the younger cats. Plus the whole fort-building mechanic is seemingly beyond my capacity to master (I generally try to stay out of tyhe way until i hit the final five or six and then try to snipe from afar.) and I feel weird hearing these likkle chipmunk voices in my headset.....which means B. is probably going to love the game. Finding the right items in the loot-boxish way they are presented in the game, plus the colors and frentic activity, will totally appeal to his pleasure-centers.

I know video games are an accepted part of a childs experience, I also know that they can be very addictive...but I also grew up in a much different world than he did in a different era.

I honestly can't decide what to do: I'm out of the loop in a lot of ways, but I don't want to be the one that turns him into one of those dudes who stays at home and collects ODSP and plays vids til his circadian rhythm melts. But all his classmates (who have similar issues) are playing.

Apologies for the wall of text.

Kids play video games.

Nobody ever told me when I could or couldnt play games. We had our nes/snes/n64 etc set up on the basement tv and if I wanted to play any time I did.

Internet gaming addiction is real but not letting him play is weak as fuck imo.

How can you consider fortnite unacceptable? Thats just weird, its a kids game

Let him play and limit his time.

Last edited:
Kids play video games.

Nobody ever told me when I could or couldnt play games. We had our nes/snes/n64 etc set up on the basement tv and if I wanted to play any time I did.

Internet gaming addiction is real but not letting him play is weak as fuck imo.

How can you consider fortnite unacceptable? Thats just weird, its a kids game

Let him play and limit his time.

So I let him play, and not fifteen minutes later he wants to borrow money from me to buy the battIepass. I hope I've made the right decision.

Mod's, feel free to erase this thread. I got what i needed.

So I let him play, and not fifteen minutes later he wants to borrow money from me to buy the battIepass. I hope I've made the right decision.

Mod's, feel free to erase this thread. I got what i needed.

Lol. Battlepass is just extras you dont need. I'm sure it will be fine, millions of kids play it.

Just give him your credit card it will be fine he will buy the battlepass and that's it

Back