Seeking advice on how to deal with bloody knuckles

Especially in the winter when you're probably using more soap than normal because all your coworkers come in with full blown AIDS. That's something to watch for. My hands get dry as shit.

Especially in the winter when you're probably using more soap than normal because all your coworkers come in with full blown AIDS. That's something to watch for. My hands get dry as shit.
And now I would like to know what you do for a living.

Work in an office. AIDS = people insist on coming to work with the flu or norovirus, etc. "Oh I'm not contagious anymore."

Work in an office. AIDS = people insist on coming to work with the flu or norovirus, etc. "Oh I'm not contagious anymore."
Ha, okay.

I took AIDS literally and thought maybe you were working at some sort of AIDS facility with co-workers who had AIDS and were trying to spread awareness and build support groups, etc., etc.

In any case, I'm glad you're safe.

I have the exact same problem. I tried to train through it but it isn't going away so I'm waiting it out.

wtf? Either you are the hardest puncher ever or you have weak knuckles or you have some flimsy gloves or a combination of everything. How do you get bloody knuckles from wearing wraps and gloves?

Are you wrapping your knuckles properly and are you using 16oz gloves? Maybe use 2 or 3 wraps or those pufffy gel wraps on your knuckles and switch to a 20 oz gloves or higher. holy cow is this a troll thread?

Can you upload a vid of you doing bag work? Are your bags made out of spikes or something? Just how?
i tear my knuckles the same way. to many years of scar tissue.

They still tear occasionally. But lots of callous now and if it tears I just Vaseline it up to prevent more friction. It’s usually fine.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you guys deal with bloody knuckles? I've just sort of trained through them, but I'm wondering if anyone else had a strategy for dealing with them. Obviously, cuts and scabs re-open pretty easily once they form, but it seems too much to simply avoid bag work until it heals. Is that the only option? I don't want to get a staph infection...

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have never gotten bloody knuckles from training by doing things suchs a bagwork, pads, sparring.

If you are hitting the bag bareknuckle....stop.

if your getting bloody knuckles from doing BJJ or something I really am not much help as I have never had the problem

I will add that rubbing alcohol daily on cuts helps them heal very fast.

They still tear occasionally. But lots of callous now and if it tears I just Vaseline it up to prevent more friction. It’s usually fine.

does your gym have one of those rubber Bobs to punch? might be a little more forgiving than the heavy bag

To the above two responses, this is an old post.

I get bloody knuckles from time to time, but not terribly often. I realized it had to do with the taughtness of the handwraps and or the padding of the gloves. As I stated, a small layer of vaseline often helps a lot. I don't mind bleeding knuckles, I just power through. I just wrote my post above since the thread was revived for some reason and thought maybe an update would prevent further advice. I've come to accept who I am; my knuckles bleed from time to time and that's fine. I accept myself. I am learning, gradually, to also love myself.

Thank you.

Best advice i've seen to date of how to deal (in the long term) with cuts and scarring on delicate skin (whether on the hands, or on the face) came from Champ Thomas' old book on boxing; skin grows tougher through callusing, callusing comes from repeated friction, and gentle enough repeated friction on the area comes from massaging.

perhaps try healing your hands for a while first, before going full force again.
try epsom salts to aid healing. dunk hand into vhot water salts...try for a week and see if any diff? done wonders for many. aloe vera plant extract (natural) will help moisture retention.
vaseline in gloves works, but some find it slippery.

If need be, get some precision gloves, and moisture your hands, and allow recovery.
let hands heal, then go back to punching.

you can then concentrate on making them stronger so they wont bleed or be prone to sensitivity as much

Back