Seeking Criticism/Support and Gains

kaptr1d

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
A quick back history:

I was a successful wrestler up until my junior year in high school. During the summer between junior and senior year I was in a bad car accident that messed me up for a while. In college I didn't do anything athletic at all.

I went back to the gym healthy about a year ago only to get in another car accident a week later. That messed me up for the last year basically.

I am back at the gym with the goal of improving my strength and conditioning and possibly competing in grappling or MMA at a strictly amateur level in the distant future.

I successfully rehabbed a torn meniscus in my right knee and I am now back to lifting again injury free.

Pedigree:
Age - 28
Height - 5' 10"
Weight - 175lbs.
BF% - 12%

PR's:
Squat - 255 x 2
Deadlift - 365 x 1
Bench Press - 205 x 1

Any advice/tips/critics/slaps in the face are greatly appreciated.

Day A:
Squat 3 x 5
BP 3 x 5
BOR 3 x 5

Day B:
Squat 3 x 5
Deadlift 1 x 5
Dips 3 x 5

02/18/13 Update

I train BJJ 4 or 5, 2-hour sessions each week. I am a blue belt.

I lift Wendler 5/3/1 with varying assistance work.

Current PR's

Squat - 315
Bench - 205
Deadlift - 405

I work the night shift and I have a 2-year-old. My nutrition is borderline shit.

Last edited:
Goals:

1 - Increase Aerobic Cardio.

2 - Make sure I maintain proper nutrition.

3 - Improve BJJ while sticking to my lifting schedule.

Diet:

Breakfast
5 egg whites, 1 whole egg
2 servings of farina

Mid AM
1 cup cottage cheese
1 tablespoon strawberry preserve
-or-
1 apple
2 string cheese sticks

Lunch
8oz. chicken or fish
1 serving starch

Mid PM
same as mid AM

Dinner
8oz chicken or fish
1 serving starch

Supps
Daily:
Orange Triad Multi
Nordic Naturals Fish Oil
Milk Thistle
ZMA

PreWO:
MP Assault

PeriWO:
Xtend BCAA

PostWO:
CytoSport Complete Whey

Last edited:
My tuesday 6/3 workout:
Squats:
Warmup set of 135lbs x 11 reps.
2nd set of 185lbs x 6 reps.
3rd set of 205 x 6 reps.
4th set of 225 x 6 reps.
5th set of 245 x 5 reps.

Deadlifts:
Warmup set of 135 x 11 reps.
2nd set of 185 x 6 reps.
3rd set of 205 x 6 reps.
4th set of 225 x 6 reps.
5th set of 245 x 5 reps.

Standing Military Press:
3 sets of 70lbs at 10 reps.

Squats and Deadlifts make me tired. Home to have a PWO protein shake and a large dinner an hour after that.

My thursday 6/5 workout:
Benchpress:
Warmup set of 95lbs x 11 reps.
2nd set of 115lbs x 6 reps.
3rd set of 135lbs x 6 reps.
4th set of 135lbs x 6 reps
5th set of 115lbs x 6 reps.

Pullups:
BW 4x5

Dips:
BW 5x5

Bent Over Rows:
65lbs x 10 reps.
75lbs x 10 reps. (4 sets)

8.5 mile ride on my mountain bike.
Its 85 degrees out... I think I lost 5lbs in water weight.

Time for a nap and then some mini golf.

Sunday 6/8 Workout: Circuit Training

75lbs - Stiff leg deadlift x 8
75lbs - Bent over rows x 8
75lbs - Cleans x 8
75lbs - OHP x 8
75lbs - Good morning x 8
75lbs - One legged squat x 8 (Right leg)
75lbs - One legged squat x 8 (Left leg)

All 7 exercises are in one continuous set.
Did 3 sets.

Decline bench press:
90lbs x 11 reps then 10lb medicine ball explosive press x 11
2 sets.

Snatch:
35lbs dumbell snatch, 10 reps for each arm
Directly to 11 reps of 10lbs medicine ball slams.

Very tired...

what's your routine?

why are squats and deads on the same day?

And i definitely think you should eat some more. It seems like half of your "meals" are supplements. you should check out the faqs in the training threads.

good luck.

why are squats and deads on the same day?
And i definitely think you should eat some more.

I feel that my squats and deads are pretty decent lifts right now, esp in comparison to how weak my bench press is. I have bench press on its own day to try and dedicate all my energy to BP and get the most out of it...

As far as the eating goes: I've got a decent gut right now and while I'm not concerned with bodybuilding type looks, I def want to get rid of this fat hanging off my midsection. I'm afraid if I eat more calories I'm going to get bigger in the middle and I really don't want that.

Wednesday 6/11 Workout:

Pull Ups:
BW 5x5

Dips:
BW 5x5

Deadlifts:
185lbs x 5 reps.
205lbs x 5 reps.
225lbs x 5 reps.
225lbs x 5 reps.
275lbs x 4 reps. (failure)

OHP:
65lbs 5x5

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I don't think I'm recovering properly from my workouts. I've been getting 7-9 hours of sleep each night and I've been waking up and doing 30 minutes of light calisthenics every morning to start off my day.

Ever since the circuit training last Sunday my hamstrings have been really sore and they don't seem to be getting better... I was supposed to do today's workout on Tuesday but I gave myself an additional day's rest to try and heal up all the way... I started to do some light cardio on the treadmill after the workout today but my calves started to cramp and I felt gassed after 6-7 minutes... I'm really puzzled as to the cause of this lack of energy... ideas anyone?

Friday 6/13 Workout:

Squats:
135lbs x 6 reps
205lbs x 5 reps
225lbs x 5 reps (2 sets)
245lbs x 5 reps (2 sets)

Incline Bench Press:
135lbs x 5 reps (4 sets)
155lbs x 5 reps

My lower back is still sore from Deadlifts on Wednesday so I did cable rows instead of BORs.
BORs are a lot harder then cable rows...

55lbs x 10 reps
100lbs x 6 reps
140lbs x 6 reps
160lbs x 6 reps
160lbs x 6 reps

Lunges: Holding 2, 25lb plates
3 sets of 20

Having a tough time walking...

So I was in Las Vegas all of last week doing testing for the police up there... There was a gym in the hotel I stayed at but all they had were a few machines and a treadmill...

On a positive note, I managed to eat well and stay on my greens supplement while there.

On a negative note, I got canned from my job while I was in Vegas, so I will have a lot of free time going forward.

I've decided to move to a three day split:
Focus on Monday will be Squats.
Focus on Wednesday will be Benchpress.
Focus on Friday will be Deadlifts.
I'll be doing cardio on my non lifting days.
On Sat/Sun I will continue my weekly circuit.

I need to figure out what my assistance excercises will be on Mon/Tues/Fri.

My Monday 6/23 Workout:

I made a mistake and brought a friend of mine that I used to work out with at Golds.

I explained that we were going to do a 5x5 routine starting with squats and he started flipping out saying that the leg muscles need more reps then 5 to see any results... then his eyes almost shot out of his head when I explained the last set would be with 245lbs... It went very poorly.

Squats:
Warmup 95lbs x 12 reps (2 sets)
115lbs x 5 reps
135lbs x 5 reps
185lbs x 5 reps
205lbs x 5 reps (2 sets)

Leg Extensions:
4 sets of 15 reps... weight progressed from 55 to around 145

I wanted to do some core work but he wanted to use some machines for his hamstrings... The workout has already lasted an hour and 45 minutes so I left him there to do whatever he wanted...

My Wednesday 6/25 Workout:

Incline Barbell Bench Press:
115lbs x 5 reps (2 sets)
135lbs x 5 reps (3 sets)

Incline Dumbell Bench Press:
120lbs x 4 reps (failure)
100lbs x 5 reps (4 sets)

Standing Military Press Dumbell:
80lbs x 5 reps
60lbs x 5 reps (4 sets)

Some medicine ball work.

Your doing great.

I would just suggest treating yourself to some good books...Crain's Muscle World, Ltd - POWERLIFTING & STRENGTH BOOKS

Here is a good site...

Strength Online

I dont know what your general goals are but it seems like there will be alot there that you can use. If you have any sites that you would like to share please pm me.

The only thing that I would really suggest is to squat every workout. Not not heavy squatting...just light and streatch it out (except on your heavy day). What I mean by every time is just take the bar and get yourself warmed up. sets of 20-40 is good. Thats about the only thing that I would work on not seeing you work out.

Ah the other thing that I would say is change up your workouts. If you even hold the bar wider on your benches...or even as minor a variation as that then you will really help things along.

I dont lift for more than an hour. For me its really counter productive.

My Monday 6/23 Workout:

I made a mistake and brought a friend of mine that I used to work out with at Golds.

I explained that we were going to do a 5x5 routine starting with squats and he started flipping out saying that the leg muscles need more reps then 5 to see any results... then his eyes almost shot out of his head when I explained the last set would be with 245lbs... It went very poorly.

Squats:
Warmup 95lbs x 12 reps (2 sets)
115lbs x 5 reps
135lbs x 5 reps
185lbs x 5 reps
205lbs x 5 reps (2 sets)

Leg Extensions:
4 sets of 15 reps... weight progressed from 55 to around 145

I wanted to do some core work but he wanted to use some machines for his hamstrings... The workout has already lasted an hour and 45 minutes so I left him there to do whatever he wanted...

Ask the Olympians...they have great legs and keep the reps low. But if your keeping the reps low you will probally need to do more sets...which is probally safer anyways. And try some overhead squats as well as front squats. Dont worry about the weight, it will probally go up more quickly with good form and lower reps...as well as switching from overhead to front to back...and then variation on either heavier weight or lower weight and faster bar movement. I change the way I squat just about every two to three weeks. It seems if I workout longer than this I hit the IRON WALL and if I keep on after that I get some sort of little injury...that if I dont listen to grows into a bigger injury.

Good Lifting.

I pushed my Friday workout back a day because I was still feeling sore despite eating a shit ton.

Saturday 6/28 Workout:

Ran an 8 minute mile.

Deadlifts:
135lbs x 5 reps
185lbs x 5 reps
205lbs x 5 reps
225lbs x 5 reps
245lbs x 5 reps

Barbell Rows:
55lbs x 5 reps (3 sets)

Back Extensions:
While holding a 45lb plate