Self driving Uber car kills human.

You could be right. The police haven't agreed with you, and unlike the cyclists who have spent significant time in the hospital I never get a scratch.
Its not even possible I am wrong if you have had 10 cyclist collisions. I'm a regular rider on Toronto streets and I know all sorts of regular riders. Those streets are zoo's and cycling and driving and even been a pedestrian is a blood sport. No quarter asked and non given. Car's don't back off and give room to bikes or pedestrians or vice versa. It is truly a challenging place to cycle or even walk if you are taking on the driving traffic.

And I am not saying you are 'at fault' in these accidents you have. You may not be. BUt just because you are not at fault does not mean you are not a terrible driver causing all sorts of havoc around you if you have no defensive driving skills and don't see what is generally going on around you. Good drivers are avoiding all sorts of accidents and problems all the time even when they would not be at fault if something happened.

Its not even possible I am wrong if you have had 10 cyclist collisions. I'm a regular rider on Toronto streets and I know all sorts of regular riders. Those streets are zoo's and cycling and driving and even been a pedestrian is a blood sport. No quarter asked and non given. Car's don't back off and give room to bikes or pedestrians or vice versa. It is truly a challenging place to cycle or even walk if you are taking on the driving traffic.

And I am not saying you are 'at fault' in these accidents you have. You may not be. BUt just because you are not at fault does not mean you are not a terrible driver causing all sorts of havoc around you if you have no defensive driving skills and don't see what is generally going on around you. Good drivers are avoiding all sorts of accidents and problems all the time even when they would not be at fault if something happened.

I guess it is relative. If there is a 4 way stop, I come to a complete stop and begin to proceed through the intersection and a cyclist blows through the stop sign in front of me, I am not going to swerve off the road or slam on my brakes potentially causing harm to myself. I also don't swerve or hit the brakes for animals under ~25 lbs.

I guess it is relative. If there is a 4 way stop, I come to a complete stop and begin to proceed through the intersection and a cyclist blows through the stop sign in front of me, I am not going to swerve off the road or slam on my brakes potentially causing harm to myself. I also don't swerve or hit the brakes for animals under ~25 lbs.
I don't do either of those things either and i have never hit a bike and despite living in the country most of my life have only hit a few small animals. But I am a very defensive driver and always aware of my surroundings so 90% of the time I will see that bike or animal long before they become a problem.

Many people who may not 'cause accidents' directly are oblivious to whats going on around them and 'cause a ton of accidents'. So they may technically make a proper lane change but they never saw the person already in the lane coming up at a rapid speed and they cut them off. Technically the person coming up that lane fast, if they rear end you would be at fault. But you are the one causing accidents in your wake and often not even knowing it as people swerve or other to avoid you. Ya the cyclist flying up the curb going straight may technically be at fault if you turn right in front of them and you collide but I would have saw that cyclist every time and let him go through.

And ya the cyclist loses every time in that type of crash so I do put more responsibility and blame on them for the accident. I am just saying you are almost certainly a big part of the problem if you have had that many collisions with cyclists.

The car identified as a woman so the judge is going to let it off.

BTW - how many deaths per day with people behind the wheel?

Damn, even cars are mysogonistic

Dat patriarchal programming

hahahahaha too much, tone down on the trolling

I don't do either of those things either and i have never hit a bike and despite living in the country most of my life have only hit a few small animals. But I am a very defensive driver and always aware of my surroundings so 90% of the time I will see that bike or animal long before they become a problem.

Many people who may not 'cause accidents' directly are oblivious to whats going on around them and 'cause a ton of accidents'. So they may technically make a proper lane change but they never saw the person already in the lane coming up at a rapid speed and they cut them off. Technically the person coming up that lane fast, if they rear end you would be at fault. But you are the one causing accidents in your wake and often not even knowing it as people swerve or other to avoid you. Ya the cyclist flying up the curb going straight may technically be at fault if you turn right in front of them and you collide but I would have saw that cyclist every time and let him go through.

And ya the cyclist loses every time in that type of crash so I do put more responsibility and blame on them for the accident. I am just saying you are almost certainly a big part of the problem if you have had that many collisions with cyclists.

About 6-7 years ago a rickshaw pulled bicycle blew through an intersection right into my path. My mind became the judge and jury and apparently I felt the people riding in the rickshaw were innocent and I swerved, hit a curb and a tree and screwed my car up pretty bad, but saved the lives of the passengers in the rickshaw. If it was a cyclist I may not have swerved.

About 6-7 years ago a rickshaw pulled bicycle blew through an intersection right into my path. My mind became the judge and jury and apparently I felt the people riding in the rickshaw were innocent and I swerved, hit a curb and a tree and screwed my car up pretty bad, but saved the lives of the passengers in the rickshaw. If it was a cyclist I may not have swerved.
Yes but that again tells me you are almost certainly a mostly oblivious driver to your surroundings and basically only react to things once they are an issue.

There is simply no chance a large and slow moving vehicle like a Rickshaw is going to cause me that type of problem unless I am being severely distracted which I almost never allow while driving, particularly around dangerous objects like Rickshaws.

The defensive driver in me expects that every cyclists might swerve, every rickshaw or pedestrian might do something dumb and I am already prepared almost all times before it happens by paying heightened attention to my surroundings. Can I brake heavy if needed? Can I change lanes quick if needed? And so on. That is just something good defensive drivers are aware of. My mum, on the other hand is oblivious until its right in front of her and there is no time to react. So while it might not be her fault (or yours) that you hit the rickshaw, you also are incapable of really doing anything to prevent hat situation since you are such unaware drivers.

I am often in the passenger seat with my mom or others like you and clench as I see you approaching a potential danger and can recognize you have no clue and just drive through oblivious. I don't want to be a 'back seat driver' and say, 'hey you should probably give some space tehre as this could get bad' as most times nothing happens and you would just seem as a back seat driver. But it is clear to me that many people do the equivalent of sleepwalking while they drive.

Video of incident (censored, no actual impact) can be found here.

Unless you were a professional rally car driver I don't see many people being able to avoid this.

If she was walking out of the crosswalk then the car is not at fault. Not sure why such a big deal is being made out of this. Just an idiot pedestrian.

Found a picture of the vehicle:

tumblr_ouniivZG4h1s1v3r1o1_400.gif

Fuck. I saw this thread and immediately thought, "I bet no one has made a Maximum Overdrive joke yet."

Boy I was wrong.

If she was walking out of the crosswalk then the car is not at fault. Not sure why such a big deal is being made out of this. Just an idiot pedestrian.

There is so much missing information. After seeing the video, I doubt that a human would have seen her. I don't know anything about the section of roadway that it happened on. The articles that I've seen say the vehicle was traveling at 40mph and I assume that is the speed limit in that area. From the video, the woman was walking her bicycle across the roadway in what appears to be a very poorly lit area. I had herd earlier that she was crossing outside of the crosswalk. I assumed that to mean that she was close to a crosswalk. From the video, it doesn't appear she was anywhere near a crosswalk.

I found this picture of the road where it happened in an article.
self-driving-uber-pedestrian-killed-promo-1521571927974-articleLarge.jpg

There are no crosswalks to be seen although it looks like there is an opening in the median a little way up in the picture.

I haven't seen any information on what the woman was doing on the road at night with no lights and no high visibility clothing. People assume that they can be seen because they see the bright car lights. I would think that the self driving vehicles would have better night vision but perhaps not as it could be blinded by oncoming lights.

I found some information on the woman who died. It fits with my first thoughts when I saw the video. I thought she might be homeless as it appeared there were bags on the bicycle.

Kimmerle added, “She was not in anyway unsafe. She rode a bike everywhere. She was very cautious of the laws.”

Herzberg had struggled with homelessness, according to her friends, who said she had recently turned her life around and was in the process of starting a new job.

Why was someone who was "cautious of the laws" crossing the street where there was no crosswalk or cross street?

I found some information on the woman who died. It fits with my first thoughts when I saw the video. I thought she might be homeless as it appeared there were bags on the bicycle.

Why was someone who was "cautious of the laws" crossing the street where there was no crosswalk or cross street?
She was a good girl she dinndoonuffin.

I don't know why hack journalists even put quotes like this in there. It looks pretty clear now that she was not in fact crossing the road safely and while tragic her death is not Skynet's fault.

- Tempe police are investigating a deadly crash involving a self-driving Uber vehicle overnight.

The Uber vehicle was reportedly driving early Monday when a woman walking outside of the crosswalk was struck.

The woman was taken to the hospital where she died from her injuries.

Tempe Police says the vehicle was in autonomous mode at the time of the crash and a vehicle operator was
also behind the wheel.

https://www.abc15.com/news/arizona-...-driving-uber-car-involved-in-crash-overnight

Bad news for Uber regardless.

We need more self driving cars. Humans kill others daily. A self driving car does it once and it's the end of the world. I still trust self driving cars more than people. If anything this world needs less people and more self driving cars.

There are a lot of bike lanes that’s have been put in lately and King Street doesn’t allow cars to drive around anymore so that should help a bit I think. Would like to see that trend continue though. The cabs are the craziest imo, they are professional drivers but have no respect for bike lanes at all.

And when Doug Ford is premier all that kind of shit is out the window. More coal plants and cars less bikes and windmills.

There are a lot of bike lanes that’s have been put in lately and King Street doesn’t allow cars to drive around anymore so that should help a bit I think. Would like to see that trend continue though. The cabs are the craziest imo, they are professional drivers but have no respect for bike lanes at all.

And when Doug Ford is premier all that kind of shit is out the window. More coal plants and cars less bikes and windmills.

Where I live they have painted bike lanes on the side of the roads and made the pavement wider on the country roads. Where the cars don't drive, sand and rocks tend to build up so the bikers don't want to ride in those lanes. Bikers like to ride in groups and block traffic so they come into conflict with cars pretty often. Many don't have lights even though the LED lights are cheap to buy and operate. There have been suggestions to pass laws requiring high visibility vests be worn. You can get a pack of 3 for $10. There are reflective arm bands and belts.

Anyone out at night without some type of reflective clothing has a chance to get a Darwin award.

Back