Self training Lethwei!

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score
I haven't posted here as much lately so I thought i'd give an update as to what I'm up to for those that care.

I'm now training 'the next generation' in Muay Thai, sparring and upping my training to fight by the end of the year (wanting to do something for charity). I've been doing hours worth of clinching and it's been pretty good.

... so I finally watched a Lethwei fight and now I'm hooked. I love how fundamentally similar it is to kard chuek muay thai, to the point of being identical save for headbutts. I immediately knew that I wanted to give it a try because it's just a matter of adding headbutts and learning a few new clinching techniques. Of course there is nowhere in the UK to learn it so i've started learning online with Dave Leduc/Nomad Lethwei's videos:

Because I use my head a lot as a weapon in the clinch via boring it into my opponents cheek, chin, neck etc. I found that it's so far all coming quite naturally. It's just been pad work and shadowboxing, no sparring with it but so far it's been a lot of fun and I thought i'd share the resources for those who are interested in this under appreciated little art!

It's not useful for... anything outside street self defence or non-existent lethwei competition - but it's been a fun pastime when I'm not teaching/training!

I haven't posted here as much lately so I thought i'd give an update as to what I'm up to for those that care.

I'm now training 'the next generation' in Muay Thai, sparring and upping my training to fight by the end of the year (wanting to do something for charity). I've been doing hours worth of clinching and it's been pretty good.

... so I finally watched a Lethwei fight and now I'm hooked. I love how fundamentally similar it is to kard chuek muay thai, to the point of being identical save for headbutts. I immediately knew that I wanted to give it a try because it's just a matter of adding headbutts and learning a few new clinching techniques. Of course there is nowhere in the UK to learn it so i've started learning online with Dave Leduc/Nomad Lethwei's videos:

Because I use my head a lot as a weapon in the clinch via boring it into my opponents cheek, chin, neck etc. I found that it's so far all coming quite naturally. It's just been pad work and shadowboxing, no sparring with it but so far it's been a lot of fun and I thought i'd share the resources for those who are interested in this under appreciated little art!

It's not useful for... anything outside street self defence or non-existent lethwei competition - but it's been a fun pastime when I'm not teaching/training!

That's not strictly true, it's very useful for Muay Thai.....

As to the thread, big ups to you Andy on your new venture in the endless journey of Martial Arts. I hope you continue to have fun with it. I've watched quite a few Lethwei matches when I used to train MT and I was always fascinated.

That's not strictly true, it's very useful for Muay Thai.....

I get what you mean - but the thing is that if you remove the headbutts - you're just doing muay thai, so you may as well just train Thai Boxing haha.

That being said, I think that the head is extremely under utilised in Muay Thai - so much so that people seem to think that I'm cheating when I use my head to push around the opponent. It's legal... it's just no one thinks to do it.

As to the thread, big ups to you Andy on your new venture in the endless journey of Martial Arts. I hope you continue to have fun with it. I've watched quite a few Lethwei matches when I used to train MT and I was always fascinated.

It's been a lot of fun so far! I could live my entire life with just muay thai and i'd never learn it all - so it's nice to start looking at something with a relatively fresh pair of eyes! I'll probably start karate one day!

i follow dave as well. check lethwei world too.

9 limbs instead of 8.

i like the head butt, its brutal, powerfull, etc.

Never used it on purpose, but a long time ago i head butt my coach by mistake sparring, split his eye open, needed stitches.

I have also unintentionally headbutt in fights before.

I have known about lethwei for quite some time, maybe about 15 yrs ago, you could see it floating around online but after reading about Dave Leducs wiki page, it looks like alot of the stuff that is going on in it right now, is brand new.

I get what you mean - but the thing is that if you remove the headbutts - you're just doing muay thai, so you may as well just train Thai Boxing haha.

That being said, I think that the head is extremely under utilised in Muay Thai - so much so that people seem to think that I'm cheating when I use my head to push around the opponent. It's legal... it's just no one thinks to do it.
ive always thought that an enterprising Greco Roman wrestling expert could make a mint learning the Thai clinch and then integrating the two styles together

ive always thought that an enterprising Greco Roman wrestling expert could make a mint learning the Thai clinch and then integrating the two styles together

Completely agree with you there. I actually feel that my Thai clinch got a lot better after I started training SAMBO, it gave me a much better foundation for understanding how to actually stand in the clinch and how to time and properly commit to throws!

Back