Senate Tax Bill Passes - at 2:00 AM (EST)

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“I wanted to get to yes," Corker said in a statement. "But at the end of the day, I am not able to cast aside my fiscal concerns and vote for legislation that I believe, based on the information I currently have, could deepen the debt burden on future generations."

In a win for leadership, GOP Sens. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, Steve Daines of Montana as well as Flake declared on Friday they will support the bill.

Johnson in particular was a major boost for Senate GOP leaders, who have struggled all week to corral at least 50 votes for the tax measure. Republicans are using powerful budget procedures to evade a Democratic filibuster on the bill, so McConnell can lose only two GOP votes and pass the bill.

President Donald Trump is calling GOP senators to back the bill, and White House director of legislative affairs Marc Short was cautiously optimistic coming out of a meeting in Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn’s office.

“I think they’ve got a plan,” Short said, before adding, “I’m sure there’s plenty of drama ahead today.” Asked whether he was comfortable with narrow passage of the tax reform package by 50 votes plus a tie-breaking vote from Vice President Pence, Short replied: “What do they call a person that finishes last in medical school? A doctor.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/01/tax-bill-2017-senate-republicans-274453

24172739_1782386328440622_2552395925483928442_o.jpg

It's either coming out of my pocket or it isn't. And as a voter, that's all that matters.

Smoke em if you got em

What an abomination

Corker is a pussy. He could have stopped it from leaving committee and he could have lobbied other Republicans to vote no.

He just liked being the single GOP no vote.

McCain sealed his reputation as Trump's cuck.

After pleading for a return to normalcy he was fine with ramming this piece of shit through the Senate at 2am Saturday without any review or analysis.

@Trotsky I'll have to look at the final version of the bill but in regards to that tweet as a small consultation the last I looked they took out the "performance based" language around executive compensation.

So going forward corporations won't get a deduction for the compensation of the top 5 executives exceeding $1M even if it's from stocks.

It will be interesting to see how corporate boards react to this.

Next will be social security and Medicare..

That's assuming they hold power.

I'm switching to a straight Dem voter on the national level going forward and I don't think I'm the only person switching sides.

America takes an L

But it's worth getting through tax cuts that are literally universally opposed by credible economists as being contrary to intelligible fiscal policy.

Like, are we on a fucking merry-go-round? Are we just going to see another fiscal crisis where a young, charismatic Democrat has to rise to fame and pass sane policies again only to be cast as a Muslim-atheist-communist-fascist-plutocrat-anarchist-antichrist again, when in actuality his economic policies are about as far right and upwardly distributional as an economic conscience would allow?

Kill net nuetrality, record Saudi weapons deal, and corporate tax breaks. When did trump become a Bush?

Back