Senator Bernie Sanders introduce new Single-Payer Health Care bill

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Kamala Harris to co-sponsor Bernie Sanders' single-payer health care bill
By Eric Bradner, CNN | Wed August 30, 2017

08302017-kamalatownhall.jpg

Sen. Kamala Harris is the first Democrat to announce she'll co-sponsor Sen. Bernie Sanders' single-payer health care bill when it's introduced in September.

The California freshman -- seen as a rising star in the party and a 2020 presidential prospect -- revealed her plans to back Sanders' legislation at a town hall Wednesday night in Oakland.

"Here, I'll break some news: I intend to co-sponsor the Medicare-for-all bill, because it's just the right thing to do," Harris said. She announced her support for Sanders' single-payer plan at the end of her town hall and joked that "somebody should tell my staff."

Her co-sponsorship is another sign that the Democratic Party is increasingly embracing a shift away from the private health insurance market and toward a government-run program. The issue is poised to become a major litmus test for its presidential candidates in 2020.

It comes just 20 months after the party's last standard-bearer in a presidential election, Hillary Clinton, called Sanders' single-payer proposal "a theoretical debate about some better idea that will never, ever come to pass."

"This is about understanding, again, that health care should be a right, not a privilege. And it's also about being smart," Harris said. "It is so much better that people have meaningful access to affordable health care at every stage of life, from birth on. Because the alternative is that we as taxpayers otherwise are paying huge amounts of money for them to get their health care in an emergency room. So it's not only about what is morally and ethically right, it also makes sense from a fiscal standpoint, or if you want to talk about it as a return on investment for taxpayers."

The early endorsement from Harris could clear the way for more Democrats to co-sponsor the bill. Already this summer, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand have announced their support for single-payerhealth insurance.

Sanders tweeted his thanks to Harris on Wednesday night. "Let's make health care a right, not a privilege," he wrote.

Some of Sanders' most vocal supporters, who had questioned Harris' progressive bona fides, expressed cautious optimism about Harris' position.

"Like it or not, single payer has become the litmus test in order to run for office. I expect a a lot or senators to agree. But count on Bernie 100% to actually follow through," said RoseAnn DeMoro, the executive director of National Nurses United, the first major union to back Sanders' 2016 presidential campaign.

But DeMoro added she wants to hear single-payer supporters aggressively argue for the end of private insurance, too. "I want to hear an actual articulation of the principles of single payer from these candidates, including that the insurance industry has no role. Bernie says that. Will they?" she said.

Winnie Wong, the co-founder of People for Bernie, said Harris is "meeting her constituents where they are. I see this as a pragmatic political decision." She added that it could revitalize a state-level debate in California about moving to a single-payer program.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/30/politics/kamala-harris-bernie-sanders-single-payer-medicare/index.html

Last edited:
This is a big misconception by the left! No one goes with out health care in the U.S. I'm sure Bernie wants to find a way to pad his pocket again.
bernieGoodKindSoc.jpg

Has her 2020 exploratory committee been formed yet?
Hope not. She needs more time.

She has the potential to be great though and this is a solid sign of where her political compass is.

Hopefully one day every last heath insurance company gets the guillotine

Oh snap, good for her. I went to elementary school with her and like what she has done in office so far. Any effort to move the dialogue forward on healthcare is worthwhile.

Good for her. Healthcare should be a right. Nobody should go broke because they are sick or have had an injury.

This is a big misconception by the left! No one goes with out health care in the U.S. I'm sure Bernie wants to find a way to pad his pocket again.
bernieGoodKindSoc.jpg

Like the other poster said. Please explain how nobody goes without healthcare. Or is this just ring wing lunatic rage?

Hey Buddy,

His question was about health insurance, and that had nothing to do with my statement.

My statement is a fact! How about show me someone in the U.S. that wanted health care and was denied care? It's against the law to turn someone away.

Hey Buddy,

His question was about health insurance, and that had nothing to do with my statement.

My statement is a fact! How about show me someone in the U.S. that wanted health care and was denied care? It's against the law to turn someone away.

Private hospitals can certainly turn people away in a non emergency. Public hospitals cannot refuse care.

I'm for it. Kamala was that primitive out of the African jungle character from WWE in the late 80s, but I'm still for it. Go Bernie. Lead the left away from blaming whites and weirdo identity politics, and you can win.

I'm for it. Kamala was that primitive out of the African jingle character from WWE in the late 80s, but I'm still for it. Go Bernie. Lead the left away from blaming whites and weirdo identity politics, and you can win.

Kamala actually has had a rough go the last few years. I believe he had both legs amputated from diabetes and is in a real tough financial spot. This bill co-sponsored by Kamala would likely really help Kamala

I'm for it. Kamala was that primitive out of the African jungle character from WWE in the late 80s, but I'm still for it. Go Bernie. Lead the left away from blaming whites and weirdo identity politics, and you can win.

I'm optimistic about her stance here but she has otherwise been a vanguard for identity politics. Maybe (hopefully) all that shit was just a bad dream that democrats are waking up from but if I had to put money down I'd bet she tries to meld Bernie type populism with the same ID politics

I'm optimistic about her stance here but she has otherwise been a vanguard for identity politics. Maybe (hopefully) all that shit was just a bad dream that democrats are waking up from but if I had to put money down I'd bet she tries to meld Bernie type populism with the same ID politics

Yes that's likely.

Kamala actually has had a rough go the last few years. I believe he had both legs amputated from diabetes and is in a real tough financial spot. This bill co-sponsored by Kamala would likely really help Kamala
This post gets a thumbs up due to the thought put into the humor.

Hope not. She needs more time.

She has the potential to be great though and this is a solid sign of where her political compass is.

Hopefully one day every last heath insurance company gets the guillotine

It's better to jump in too early than to wait.

Kalama Harris is the top pick for Dems if Hillary doesn't run again, she's black and a woman...that's all the left needs, they can play the sexist card AND the racist card at the same time

Fun fact, she got her start in politics by fucking an old man so she'd get a cushy job where she didn't do shit and got paid 100k.

But, I'm sure she cares about tax paying Americans.

Back