Series Standoff: Red Dead Redemption I & II vs GTA IV & V. Which is better?

Ice That Jaw

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I have to say that GTA wins this handily in my mind. In fact, I'm actually been stopping my RDR 2 runs the past 2 weeks to play GTA V.

Full disclosure, I'm about 30% through RDR2 so I haven't experience all it has to offer but I have gotten the gist of it by now.

It's impressive as fuck. What really has me mind blown is how good it looks on the PS4 Pro. I know it's even sharper on the XB1 X but I've been a PC gamer since the 360/PS3 generation grew stale so I know what's up with graphics. RDR2 looks amazing on consoles.

I think the main difference for me is the setting. For movies, I always defer to period pieces. I rarely ever watch things set in present time. But for games, GTA just wins.

RDR has peaceful scenery. You have to take it in slowly. I get that, and it's great. But for me, nothing beats driving through city streets, walking through back alleys, or driving on expressways from city to rural areas. And all that while listening to custom soundtracks.

Not to mention the characters. RDR has some great characters but they all seem rather dull or mundane compared to GTA. Now here, I admit that GTA IV actually has an advantage over V in that it focused on several crime bosses where as V just focused on the central 3 characters, which was a bit of a disappointment in the end.

It's unbelievable that I'm still playing GTA V and being blown away at the detail. Look at these screens I just took. This is just me, not pro screen takers.

2B46FAD4CB1E781B407DE6A6D6EFAA4A27DE31D5

E8098149BF624C4D601819619947CCAB39616551

E08863668425CE28C0867677DABE8BDD948340FF

28A72B758EE45B7B60C111188A06B3215E664A82

F87350A880AF272DC27E164347B18606CC9C3145

GTA wins, both are gems.

imo from best to worst it goes.

GTA V
RDR
RDR 2
GTA IV

I haven't finished RDR 2 yet though.

So far I'm about 30% through rdr2, and it's starting to get the sane feeling as the first rdr, it's just the character in rdr2 doesn't seem all that interesting. At this point I think gta5 is probably the best of the 4 games, but rdr and rdr2 is better than gta4 and gta5. But that's just because I don't like gta4.

Hard to say. I think GTAV is better than RDR2. If the controls didn't feel so retarded in RDR2 it would be a masterpiece but it's almost unplayable at times.

I like both GTA4 and RDR a lot so I'd call that a tie.

So I guess I'd pick GTA if I had to.

Grand theft auto, I always find myself getting fatigued by the end of Red Dead games. Especially Red Dead 2, GTA 4 is an underrated one for me, I enjoyed the campaign/DLC and the online.

Gta v and its online is the most time I have ever put in a game.

RDR2 is an excellent title and GOTY material.

I gotta give it to GTA though. Just more to do more variety and more range.

I like GTA V but hated GTA lV I really liked RDR1 but feel like an idiot I wasted money on RDR2

I'm partial to Grand Theft Auto games, but a big fan of Red Dead Redemption as well. GTA 6 is going to be so sick...

So far I'm about 30% through rdr2, and it's starting to get the sane feeling as the first rdr, it's just the character in rdr2 doesn't seem all that interesting. At this point I think gta5 is probably the best of the 4 games, but rdr and rdr2 is better than gta4 and gta5. But that's just because I don't like gta4.

Goddamnit, GTA IV was so good though. It bridged the gap to create GTA V. It WAS the biggest jump in immersion within a series that I can honestly think of. The only thing close was Morrowind to Oblivion.

Last edited:
I'm partial to Grand Theft Auto games, but a big fan of Red Dead Redemption as well. GTA 6 is going to be so sick...

GTA 6. Lol
I suspect it will release no earlier than 2022. I hope they go back to Liberty City, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they went back to Vice City. It needs to be one or the other imo. Introducing a new locale would absoulutely ruin it. Sorry, progressives.

GTA 6. Lol
I suspect it will release no earlier than 2022. I hope they go back to Liberty City, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they went back to Vice City. It needs to be one or the other imo. Introducing a new locale would absoulutely ruin it. Sorry, progressives.
Yeah, I'm not expecting it anytime soon. PlayStation 5 game (and whatever the next Xbox is called) for sure.

Yeah, I'm not expecting it anytime soon. PlayStation 5 game (and whatever the next Xbox is called) for sure.
You're probably right. Crazy to think they're likely wont be a GTA developed for this gen of consoles. PS2 got 3. PS3 got 2. PS4 gets 0.

Goddamnit, GTA IV was so good though. It bridged the gap to create GTA V. It WAS the biggest jump in immersion within a series that I can honestly think of. The only thing close was Morrowind to Oblivion.

Just didn't like it. Thought the character was dull and didn't like the controls. The 2 spin offs were alright as far as characters go, but the controls were still bad.

I didn't like GTA5. GTA4 was amazing, I tried RDR but I had just finished GTA4 and it felt like GTA with horses so I just went on to something else.

I completely agree. People shit all over GTAIV but it was the game that made the huge leap, not GTAV. I loved GTAIV and its DLC and played it so damn much that I actually got bored with GTAV pretty quickly once I had seen just about everything new in the game.

I still haven’t finished GTA5. Game just never grabbed me in any way. GTA4 was pretty good.

I love both RDR games so to me it’s not really that close. I much prefer that series.

For me it's RDR2>GTA5
Only because of the the feeling of a living world. GTA was empty sometimes.
I wonder how good will GTA 6 be, and where will they set it.

I've always seen both series as separate. In a perfect game I'd take the story and map depth of RDR2 with the action of GTA. Rdr - adventure, GTA - action.

I've always been partial to California so gtaV hit a lot of notes for me but the story was way on the back burner. Rdr built that story up further and the map is just full of stuff to do.

After seeing what Rockstar has done with RDR2, I have a feeling gta6 will be overwhelming.

Back