Serious Injury - Picture attached

Thorpedo28

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Whilst not being a pro athlete I was recently racing over in Canada and dislocated my ankle 20m from the finish line in a 15km race, the Drs are still debating if I have broke/fractured my Talus as well. Currently in a cast from knee to toe, unable to drive, unable to put any weight on my cast and unable to train and its getting me down.

As I was training 8-9 times a week so other than my job it was a big part of me/what I do etc and really struggling at the moment mentally with accepting the long term nature of the injury. It's my first big injury and its really hit me quite hard

How have you guys got yourself in the right frame of mind knowing what a long road back it will be.

Attachments

• Ankle.jpg
    Ankle.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 53
Looks like a case four amputation you should count yaself lucky

holy fuck, dude. how do you manage to do that?

i once broke my forearm while skating downhill and the bones were sticking out shortly before the wrist. i got nails in it which were to some part external and a cast for over a year straight. when they put the stuff off, my arm looked like a noodle with hair similar to the stronger legs thread. i couldn't move my wrist for 1 fucking milimeter. every doctor said i am fucked and i will develop arthrosis within short time because they even had to remove some bone and my wrist will be overused or something. i said fuck it and began working in landscaping. with the pressure from work my bones got stronger and every pain i had so far went away. 10 years later my hip cartilage was done and now i am a trainer in rehab and prevention for old people which is a cool job.

cool story, bro

calm down. if you were training 8-9 times a week without being a pro, you probably have mental issues in which your sport plays some role. 10 years later maybe you can see the positive. maybe not.

all the best...

I was at the world obstacle race championship and was 20m from the finish line and slipped off the final wall (Picture attached, i am in the yellow at the far side) and then ended up in a heap with my foot facing the wrong way.

in terms of training it looks like the below,
Running 4-5 times a week
Gym strength work twice a week
Circuits a couple of times a week

Attachments

• Wall.jpg
    Wall.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 23
Whilst not being a pro athlete I was recently racing over in Canada and dislocated my ankle 20m from the finish line in a 15km race, the Drs are still debating if I have broke/fractured my Talus as well. Currently in a cast from knee to toe, unable to drive, unable to put any weight on my cast and unable to train and its getting me down.

As I was training 8-9 times a week so other than my job it was a big part of me/what I do etc and really struggling at the moment mentally with accepting the long term nature of the injury. It's my first big injury and its really hit me quite hard

How have you guys got yourself in the right frame of mind knowing what a long road back it will be.

Where were you racing?

Keep your head up.

Obstacle Course Race World Championship at Blue Mountain Ski Resort in Ontario

Nice.
Think a friend of mine was there. I was in London. I have never done one of those races. I thought about it once, then had to beat myself with a palm leaf.

holy fuck, dude. how do you manage to do that?

i once broke my forearm while skating downhill and the bones were sticking out shortly before the wrist. i got nails in it which were to some part external and a cast for over a year straight. when they put the stuff off, my arm looked like a noodle with hair similar to the stronger legs thread. i couldn't move my wrist for 1 fucking milimeter. every doctor said i am fucked and i will develop arthrosis within short time because they even had to remove some bone and my wrist will be overused or something. i said fuck it and began working in landscaping. with the pressure from work my bones got stronger and every pain i had so far went away. 10 years later my hip cartilage was done and now i am a trainer in rehab and prevention for old people which is a cool job.

cool story, bro

calm down. if you were training 8-9 times a week without being a pro, you probably have mental issues in which your sport plays some role. 10 years later maybe you can see the positive. maybe not.

all the best...

Nobody windmills like George \m/

I was at the world obstacle race championship and was 20m from the finish line and slipped off the final wall (Picture attached, i am in the yellow at the far side) and then ended up in a heap with my foot facing the wrong way.

in terms of training it looks like the below,
Running 4-5 times a week
Gym strength work twice a week
Circuits a couple of times a week

then start serious upper body strength training. bench, rows, presses, dips, pullups. maybe you can even use the leg extension/curl while your leg can't bear weight. there is this guy who lost a leg and began calisthenics. homemade muscle is his book. maybe this is more your thing. every bad event is a chance for creating something out of it. heads up.

Did you at least hop the last 20m?

You can't do much while your casted up because sweat is a problem. Try to find another way to grow. Take up making chainmail or something.

you'll probably be back in action before me!

I'm 7 weeks in from rotator cuff surgery. 1 full tear and 1 partial and bicep tendon torn.

Felt snap going for a body shot in my last muay thai fight back in July, which was against a title holder.

it's fucking surreal in happened in the fight (embarrassing way to quit out) with a big crowd and not during training.

All I can do is accept it, train my mind (visualize my goals), and rehab slowly back to movement and strength.

Did you at least hop the last 20m?

Afraid not...It was mandatory obstacle completion and as i fell down the wrong side I couldn't get over it with my ankle going side ways!

then start serious upper body strength training. bench, rows, presses, dips, pullups. maybe you can even use the leg extension/curl while your leg can't bear weight. there is this guy who lost a leg and began calisthenics. homemade muscle is his book. maybe this is more your thing. every bad event is a chance for creating something out of it. heads up.

I have done a bit of looking around on the web to see what I can do but without being able to drive (Due to the injury) i can't get to the gym to do anything like this also as I am unable to put any weight on the cast a number of those things are difficult if not impossible such as bent over rows as can't plant my weight through both legs.

you'll probably be back in action before me!

I'm 7 weeks in from rotator cuff surgery. 1 full tear and 1 partial and bicep tendon torn.

Felt snap going for a body shot in my last muay thai fight back in July, which was against a title holder.

it's fucking surreal in happened in the fight (embarrassing way to quit out) with a big crowd and not during training.

All I can do is accept it, train my mind (visualize my goals), and rehab slowly back to movement and strength.

Gutted for you dude, nothing worse than the injury occurring at the worst possible moment with everyone watching! Been back at the Dr today and he has said its going in the right direction and go back in 2 weeks to see if I can get my cast replaced by a protective boot

Afraid not...It was mandatory obstacle completion and as i fell down the wrong side I couldn't get over it with my ankle going side ways!

I have done a bit of looking around on the web to see what I can do but without being able to drive (Due to the injury) i can't get to the gym to do anything like this also as I am unable to put any weight on the cast a number of those things are difficult if not impossible such as bent over rows as can't plant my weight through both legs.

Gutted for you dude, nothing worse than the injury occurring at the worst possible moment with everyone watching! Been back at the Dr today and he has said its going in the right direction and go back in 2 weeks to see if I can get my cast replaced by a protective boot

When I had broken my hand I used a cuff with resistance bands and cables to allow me to resistance train in my power cage.

You just get very creative. I found I isolated muscles a lot more. There really wasn't any movement I couldn't achieve.

I still tried to keep the work slow to mitigate sweating but I had little else to do so time wasn't an issue.

Back