Serious Movie Discussion XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at this, @Flemmy Stardust. New school SMD posters doing an old school movie bet

Brings a tear to this old veteran's eye.

Adam%2527s+Rib+Spencer+Tracy+Crying+GIF.gif

Although a real old school SMD movie bet was based on picking fights. And you didn't come to a sensible agreement, you made your victim watch some dog shit that only you liked.

I haven't watched that Leo vid yet, or the JGL/Rian Johnson one, but i definitely plan to.

I was worried Burn Notice was going to get repetitive, but it hasn't so far, the characters are really good. Sam and Fiona, especially Sam, are great side-characters.

I'm on Season 3 ep7, BTW, of Burn Notice (I told you I would binge watch if I started it). So far, my only complaint is that one time they used the exact same dialogue to set up a scene and get involved with a gang from one season to the next.

Haha. That makes me wonder how often that happens.

Hopefully not too often.

<24>

Martian issues aside about bad endings and such, a question: you seem to talk about movies in a pretty binary form. Films are either duds or hits. Is this reflective of your true alien psychology or do you think in more of a spectrum normally? Arn't most movies just... average?

I think, if anything, it's reflective of the movies that end up on the table for discussion. In a strange way, I like movies that suck more than movies that are average because at least there's something to talk about in the former cases. I think Se7en sucks. Most other people think it's anywhere from pretty good to amazing. That's something worth talking about. And I've talked about it at length (much to @theskza 's dismay :oops:). I have not, on the other hand, ever talked about Suspect Zero. Why not? Because there's nothing to talk about. It's not particularly good, but neither is it objectionably bad. It's just there. And yes, there are a lot of movies like that, but for whatever reason(s), they're not the movies that end up coming through this thread. And, when on those rare occasions they do come through here, I just won't say anything because there's nothing worth saying about them. If I'm going to take the time out of my life to post in here, it's going to be about shit that I truly care about. And I think that's the way most people in here do things. The movies that we talk about are the ones we're passionate about. Whether that means for or against, the bottom line is that the movies worth discussing are the ones for which there's actually something to discuss, and movies that are just average don't offer much in the way of serious movie discussion.

I think the tipping point for me was that I thought that Godfather 2 took a longer while to get going.

I'll have to keep the pacing in mind the next time I revisit them. I always liked the epic feel of the second one, which I imagine was partly a result of the pacing.

And Pacino's first assasination in the dinner and the baptism scenes in the first film are just sooo damn good.

But then you've got De Niro whacking Fanucci and Ciccio :cool:

I broke about the time he started talking about Year of the Dragon (like... 25 pages in). Put the book down and rewatched the film.:p

Just don't forget to pick the book back up ;)

It's like certain events repeat themselves after a decade.

Or two.

sg36o4.jpg

Weird seeing Cro Cop as a grappler though.
Did you see Mirko with the TD and sub victory last night? That was amazing!

The first thing I thought of was Bas' commentary after Mirko beat Heath Herring. Bas and Quadros were marveling at how quickly Mirko seemed to be taking to MMA and Bas said, "You watch: You're gonna see this guy submit people." Bas, of course, learned submissions because he had no wrestling, so he figured, if people were going to take him down, it'd be nice to be able to submit them there. Mirko, on the other hand, developed such great TDD that he never really felt the need to actually try to submit people.

If that fight is any indication, though, we may be seeing the opposite of K-1 Hughes with ADCC Mirko :D

You saying you don't like the Madea movies?

<mma3>

One of my cherished memories from my first year of college: I lived in a dorm with suites of four students (two to a room with a shared bathroom between the rooms). One of my suitemates was black, and a lot of times, he'd have a bunch of black friends in his room watching TV or playing video games. I was in there once when they were flipping through the channels. Now, by this time, Tyler Perry was already on my Buscemi-style "People to Kill" list, but I'd always assumed that, considering how his movies and TV shows were all over the place, he had to at least have a loyal black following. I can't tell you how much it warmed my heart when they landed on TBS, saw one of his shitty shows on, and then one of them went, "Aw, not this n!gga again," which then started a whole rant where they all pitched in on how much he and his shows suck.

{<redford}

Frankly, I did find it darkly humorous

I brought up Hitchcock when I was talking about Gone Girl as I find that film so Hitchcockian that thinking about in non-Hitchcockian terms just seems weird, and based on your response, it sounds like you got more of a Shadow of a Doubt vibe from it. I'll have to keep that in mind when I watch it again, as I found practically no humor in that movie at all.

I'm fascinated by the disconnect of Amy loving a "performance".

You and @Caveat might enjoy this:

Although a real old school SMD movie bet was based on picking fights. And you didn't come to a sensible agreement, you made your victim watch some dog shit that only you liked.

That's why I tried to steer the movie challenges into more sensible territory, otherwise you vultures would've torn me apart :eek:

I hadn't even heard of that. Hopefully it won't be as goofy as Room 237. Have you seen it?

I'm on Season 3 ep7, BTW, of Burn Notice (I told you I would binge watch if I started it). So far, my only complaint is that one time they used the exact same dialogue to set up a scene and get involved with a gang from one season to the next.

Which episodes did they do that? And what was the dialogue? It's been a few years since I've watched it, but I feel like I would've remembered that if I'd noticed it before.

And I'm glad you're liking it. Did you like "False Flag" with Lucy Lawless? I love that moment on the roof, great writing and great acting. And how about Season 2 with Tricia Helfer? I love Michael's relationship with Victor (what would Michael be like without the support of Fiona, Sam, and his mom?), I love the way his relationship with Bly gets turned on its head (and that episode in the bank is one of my favorites), and, last but not least, we get introduced to Tim Matheson, who is so wickedly amazing as Larry, one of the central doppelgängers to come through the show and torment Michael's fragile psyche :D

And then you were on Season 3 when you posted this, so based on your viewing rate, I imagine you're well beyond that season now. The episode you were on when you posted is such a great episode with Michael helping that kid. I also think one of the coolest and most fun episodes of the entire series is Season 3 Episode 11 with Michael doing his Devil shtick.

And Season 4 takes such a smart turn after introducing my man Garret Dillahunt and really throws Michael for a loop.

Such an awesome show :cool:

Hopefully not too often.

<24>

I think, if anything, it's reflective of the movies that end up on the table for discussion. In a strange way, I like movies that suck more than movies that are average because at least there's something to talk about in the former cases. I think Se7en sucks. Most other people think it's anywhere from pretty good to amazing. That's something worth talking about. And I've talked about it at length (much to @theskza 's dismay :oops:). I have not, on the other hand, ever talked about Suspect Zero. Why not? Because there's nothing to talk about. It's not particularly good, but neither is it objectionably bad. It's just there. And yes, there are a lot of movies like that, but for whatever reason(s), they're not the movies that end up coming through this thread. And, when on those rare occasions they do come through here, I just won't say anything because there's nothing worth saying about them. If I'm going to take the time out of my life to post in here, it's going to be about shit that I truly care about. And I think that's the way most people in here do things. The movies that we talk about are the ones we're passionate about. Whether that means for or against, the bottom line is that the movies worth discussing are the ones for which there's actually something to discuss, and movies that are just average don't offer much in the way of serious movie discussion.

I'll have to keep the pacing in mind the next time I revisit them. I always liked the epic feel of the second one, which I imagine was partly a result of the pacing.

But then you've got De Niro whacking Fanucci and Ciccio :cool:

As many memorable scenes as there are in both Godfather movies, I think the scene at the festa in Godfather II is the best scene in both. I love everything about that- from when Tessio and Clemenza give Vito the money and wish him well to when Vito confirms that Fanucci is vulnerable by lowballing him without repercussion to the music as DeNiro stalks Fanucci from the rooftops and then the moment he actually takes him out. Phenomenal.

I don't see Godfather II as being slow to get going. Starts with a wholly memorable sequence where Vito has to deal with the murder of his father and brother and then witnesses the murder of his mother before getting smuggled out of Italy by some neighbors. Then it goes full speed ahead into the communion party in Nevada which moves very briskly. The scene with Senator Geary is awesome. Everything with Pentangeli is fucking great. Always loved this scene:

It's tough for me to gauge which I like more because they are both such strong films. It's almost, to me, like when people argue whether Terminator or Terminator 2 is better- ie I ultimately feel the argument verges on irrelevant since they are both extremely good.

@Joseph Budden Don't think I forgot that you haven't fulfilled your end of the bargain.

<{hmmm}>
Its going to take me a bit longer than I promised I think. I have paid time off that doesn't carry over to the next year, so I took Oct 8-16 off for a staycation, thats when i'll most likely get around to it. The film has me intrigued, so I will definitely watch it that week if I can't this week.

On season 4, episode 3 of Burn Notice right now, will probably move farther along tonight. One thing I really appreciate about the show is Sam's character. In most TV shows/movies I normally identify with and enjoy the female characters more (if you haven't noticed, lol). Now, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate certain aspects of many male characters or learn from them or identify with them as well, but I find that I flat-out enjoy the screen time of good female characters more than male characters almost every time... except on this show. I fucking love Sam's character, lol. He cracks me up like every scene and his jokes never get old. He's so perfectly cast, I love him.

Fiona is OK but for a tom-boy she's no Starbuck (Battlestar Galactica) - I don't dislike her but I'm not enamored by her character, which makes it especially convenient that Sam's character is so good considering those are the two main side-characters, lol.

I see what you were saying about the doppelgangers, @Bullitt68 - the most interesting one so far is the guy I've just been introduced to, Jesse Porter. He's bringing a nice shift in tone and a new set of circumstances to the show that are welcome. I would have to watch the show again to really rank the seasons because I haven't been sitting and watching, I've been doing therapy the whole time, but I think I liked Season 3 the best so far and now the beginning of Season 4 has a nice shift in it that I'm enjoying. I'm not saying any of that officially, though, lol -- I'm pretty out of right now and have been for the entire time I've been watching it. My judgment has been impaired, but I've been enjoying the show none-the-less :)

watched The Big Short on Netflix.

I enjoyed it, but like some of the characters in the film my mind wasn't really turning to the consequences until the end - it was more about winning and the chase. Then the reality set in and then it was a bit depressing and aggravating. I guess it was a journey.

watched The Big Short on Netflix.

I enjoyed it, but like some of the characters in the film my mind wasn't really turning to the consequences until the end - it was more about winning and the chase. Then the reality set in and then it was a bit depressing and aggravating. I guess it was a journey.
Loved this film, possibly my favorite of 2015.

@Bullitt68 continuing to enjoy season 4.... I like Jesse and Mike's interactions because I feel like it's very realistic. Jesse is a doppelganger for Mike and he does a lot of 'Mike' things, so, of course, Mike sees these things and gets more angry with Jesse than anyone else on the show so far, because he sees what is actually happening because he understands Jesse through projection. I like that.

It's cool also to see how Michael is being used --- exactly how he's using Jesse, etc

One complaint I have... this might be because I'm doing therapy and stuff while I'm watching it, but I feel like there is a big, over-arching story for each season and for the whole show... but that sometimes we lose complete sight of the bigger picture for several episodes at a time and are caught up in the smaller picture, procedural, and repetitious parts of the show that I lose track of what the bigger picture even is/forget that it's even going on. Also, though, I'm like WAY out of it mentally right now because of all the neurological change and stress I've been under every day, so maybe this is my own fault and my own lack and not the show. Either way, I'm still enjoying the show.

*update 30 hours later*
-Wow, finishing season 4, this season was fucking insane. I'm not even sure I followed everything that happened completely but I definitely enjoyed it. Jeffrey Donovan (Michael) is so fucking good at turning into any random character - I really enjoy that part of the show. This show really does make all of the repetitive parts of itself very entertaining.

Last edited:
i liked the wilderpeople. it helped that i didnt expect much

Early reaction to Birth of a Nation by one reviewer.

The Director, Producers and Actors are Accessories to Murder

5 October 2016 | by peterwiegmann (Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran) – See all my reviews

As a disgusting, vile piece of anti-White propaganda from Jewish Hollywood's pet black terrorist, Nate Parker, it serves its purpose. There will be anger injected into an already irrational populace that will further the genocidal goals of the global elites. Many, many people will be targeted as a direct result of ignorant people viewing this film and acting our in revenge.

ALL of the participants in the creation and bringing to market of this filth should be considered as accessories to any violent acts that occur after the theaters let out each night. This is the intention of the film, to spill blood. Black blood and white blood will commingle in the gutter, while the puppeteer laughs through his hooked nose, counting his shekels.

NO FORGIVENESS FOR RACE WAR PROPAGANDISTS.

Guess I came to the wrong place to inquire about early opinions on Birth of a Nation...

<6>

Last edited:
Lol. Shekels.

Whites and blacks can get along, you must look to the Sheen for guidance...

Birth of a Nation looks like a good time. It has Armie Hammer, such a fun actor. Don't know why that reviewer is so mad

Thought it might be timely to inject a review contrary to the expected, necessary laudatory praise for everything and anything to do with films involving American Slaves and so-called "Slavery" in the US.
Like so many historical events and eras, this period is to some extent open to interpretation with spotty factual substantialism.
Hollywood, with its undeniable agenda, usually seeks to milk as much money as possible from films via divisive and
disturbing messages concerning race, gender and sexual preference.
Hollywood, as seen being run by, as Travolta claims, a "bunch of horny little jewish guys" caters to the lowest common denominator again and again with PROFIT being the only benchmark.
"Art" was lost a long time ago.

*throws dreidel for good lucck

These side-characters are not just their for plot devices or necessity, they're real family. On the beginning of Season 5 now ep3 when Sam gets Michael a massage and he and Fiona start joking about Michael's problems and you can see how helpless Michael looks, lol!! That was a such a great moment.

A lot of the doppelganger stuff... like, when it came to other spies being the doppelganger, OK, I got it and it worked, but when the people were fucked up, like say the mathematican or... there was one other, maybe two, I can't remember, but they were like legit crazy people that happened to touch on reality: I didn't buy it as much that they were doppelgangers of Mike because he IS living in reality. Like, in Hannibal in season 2 when Will's doppelganger is that guy who is fucked up and finds the murdered girl and knows his therapist was the murderer, that was so perfect, THAT instance of a fucked up doppelganger (or two, in this case), was really good, the instances in this show didn't work as well, IMO, when they've been that kind of doppelganger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back