Serious Movie Discussion XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah eden was their version of hope, and they made it real. Plus once they make it to the border theyre safe, as they were granted asylum.

It also plays into the whole immigration angle this movie was subtly throwing in there.

I know you never cared for the xmen franchise before but loving X as a character, just seeing him in that state is horrible. And that does t even begin to mention how terribly ironic it is he killed the xmen by accident because of his dementia.

Then you have logan, who is 200 years old by now, went through a timeline where mutants were killed off by sentinels, he goes back in time to stop it, succeeds and has X retell him all the memories of what happened. Only for 6 years later x kills everyone, mutants arent being born anymore, and logan ends up watching him get murdered, and then dies in his daughter's arms. Hes by far the most tragic hero in movies. Just brutal.

My favorite scene outside x23 killing shit
tumblr_oq17pjnWJa1rxpq74o4_400.gif

Last edited:
I am actually hoping that Logan along with stuff like Rogue One and Fury Road represents a change in the wind with regards to blockbusters. I mean I'v enjoyed a good deal of the Marvel stuff same as everyone(especially as mentioned the Russo's work) but there does come a time when you long for something more from big blockbusters.

There was definitely a bit of a backhanded aspect to the R-rating in Logan I'd say, basically "you wanted to see an R-rated Wolverine film? well lets make it graphic enough to be unsettling", that did play very nicely into the atmosphere of the flm though.

There was definitely a bit of a backhanded aspect to the R-rating in Logan I'd say, basically "you wanted to see an R-rated Wolverine film? well lets make it graphic enough to be unsettling", that did play very nicely into the atmosphere of the flm though.

I do think that there is some tonal conflict in Logan (and many films like it) in that they simultaniously want to portray violence as something grave, dehumanizing and destructive yet also thrilling and cool.

Its especially noteworthy in relationship to the Shane quote. "There's no going back from a killing. Its a brand that sticks." Yet Logan and Logina are slaughtering mooks left and right -- letting us indulge in the visceral nature of the killings while that thematic message lies muddled by this.

Don't get me wrong though. I thought the violence in it was awesome.

I really liked the head-scientist guy in that film actually. He was just so thoroughly callous and inhumane despite his cerebral veener. Like him ordering that the children are to be refeered as "assets". Or him using basic psychological tricks when communicating with people to manipulate them (aknowlage their pain and greviances, accept partial responsibility, then plead for them to "do the right thing", all with the purposes of making them do his bidding).

Last edited:
I do think that there is some tonal conflict in Logan (and many films like it) in that they simultaniously want to portray violence as something grave, dehumanizing and destructive yet also thrilling and cool.

Its especially noteworthy in relationship to the Shane quote. "There's no going back from a killing. Its a brand that sticks." Yet Logan and Logina are slaughtering mooks left and right -- letting us indulge in the visceral nature of the killings while that thematic message lies muddled by this.

Don't get me wrong though. I thought the violence in it was awesome.

I really liked the head-scientist guy in that film actually. He was just so thoroughly callous and inhumane despite his cerebral veener. Like him ordering that the children are to be refeered as "assets". Or him using basic psychological tricks when communicating with people to manipulate them (aknowlage their pain and greviances, accept partial responsibility, then plead for them to "do the right thing", all with the purposes of making them do his bidding).

As a big Withnail and I fan its always nice to see Richard E Grant in something good, he should sue Johnny Depp for stealing his persona.

I do think in this case the conflict to the violence is actually quite effective though, playing the Logan character as being part wish fulfilment and part dangerous uncontrolled violence in a fashion the previous films never fully committed to.

Actually having the character grow up with a role reversal with Xavier who now becomes the danger that needs to be contained is very effective as well. The whole thing has a strong air of the situation I'm sure many have experienced were children become carers for parents or grand parents in there old age.

That's more @europe1's bag. It's way too 21st Century for me :confused:

Oh that's my wheelhouse for sure. I'm just one of those nerds who take a freaky joy in ranking and categorizing things after a set series of metrics. Trying to hunt down every single film you've ever seen is just plain fun, man.

Oh that's my wheelhouse for sure. I'm just one of those nerds who take a freaky joy in ranking and categorizing things after a set series of metrics. Trying to hunt down every single film you've ever seen is just plain fun, man.
Yeah i like keeping track of what ive seen and how i rated it. Letterboxd is out of 5 stars withhalves which i prefer, and ghe site looks better. Havent given up on imdb just yet

American Assassin was an entertaining action film with solid work from Dylan O'Brien, Michael Keaton and the rest of the cast. Nothing groundbreaking (and I don't know if it does justice to the book series, as I've not read an entry), but definitely a competent CIA thriller with some memorable scenes and good hand to hand combat.

Mother- what the fuck did I just watch? Aronofsky might want to get his head examined. Makes Black Swan seem like a delightful romp.

Just watched La La Land on HBO. It was awful. I can understand why people like it but it's not for me. It was boring

I have to admit that modern musicals are the one genre I just can't be bothered with, I mean the odd scene from say Singing in the Rain replayed on some clip shown over the holidays is fine but there just seems to be something so self congratulatory about the genre these days, actors playing at being singers/dancers.

I'm supprised its taken Arnie so long to get on the meta bandwagon given he was never shy about a bit of self mocking in the past, does look potentially fun.

Watched Three Colours Blue last night for the first time since the late 90's, enjoyed it a good deal more this time even if it still rather self important(and the classical music still feels rather bombastic) and might actually go on and watch White and Red this time. The influence on a lot of modern drama this decade does become more obvious as well, I did always think Portman came across like a neo Binoche but the ultra closeup style and arty camera work in stuff like Black Swan and Jackie really do seem to follow this kind of cinema closely.

Havent seen it since release but I do think the the Russo's have really perfected the "team" Marvel formula, Weadon wasn't bad its true but I think his Avengers films just had something of a lack of focus to them, the Russo's know what the centre of there stories are much more than he did and pare down the focus on that.

Going back to something else I haven't seen since its cinema release finally got around to watching a that Black Swan DVD thats been knocking around unopened for a couple of years. Still very enjoyable with Portman excellent in it although a bit trashier than I remember with a few rather clichéd jumpscares. It did perhaps not feel as fresh anymore either since I would say Aronofsky was "first to market" here in terms of using that ultra closeup style in a more mainstream film, since then we've seen it quite a lot in stuff like Under the Skin, Blue is the Warmest Colour and Portmans own Jackie last year which I do have the argument of being better less trashy cinema.

"Trashy" ??

Oh wait, I forgot about polite discussion, I was gonna post my 'eat shit' gif, but this IS the SMD thread.

Black Swan is perfect, don't be a hater.

I do need to watch Jackie though.

Mother! was awful on every level.

I actually liked Alien: Covenant - it makes me want to rewatch Prometheus which I'm about to do now.

Yes, having rewatched Prometheus, I quite like these two as a package deal. It's much more interesting watching Prometheus with David in mind as the main character.

Last edited:
Mother! was awful on every level.

I haven't seen it, but I saw this essay that was recently written on it (the author thought it was a masterpiece), and since I knew you'd probably already seen the movie, my first thought was, "I wonder what HUNTER would think of this essay."

http://brightlightsfilm.com/cosmic-melodrama-darren-aronofskys-mother/#.Wc4eBMYo-Uk

From the essay:

"To say that it is Aronofsky’s best and most original film to date is merely accurate. The same was true of Noah when it was released in 2014, and The Fountain in 2006. Mother! is something else: a near perfect synthesis of psychosexual horror and cosmic irony, a feminist Third Testament, a masterpiece that seems to broach the limits of his art."

I haven't seen it, but I saw this essay that was recently written on it (the author thought it was a masterpiece), and since I knew you'd probably already seen the movie, my first thought was, "I wonder what HUNTER would think of this essay."

http://brightlightsfilm.com/cosmic-melodrama-darren-aronofskys-mother/#.Wc4eBMYo-Uk

From the essay:

"To say that it is Aronofsky’s best and most original film to date is merely accurate. The same was true of Noah when it was released in 2014, and The Fountain in 2006. Mother! is something else: a near perfect synthesis of psychosexual horror and cosmic irony, a feminist Third Testament, a masterpiece that seems to broach the limits of his art."
Such a nerd.

Hunter: Mother was awful.
Bull: Read this essay on it.

Going to see it today. It better knock my balls out. I'm a big Noah fan. The Wrestler is probably my favorite of his though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back