Serious Movie Discussion XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had war dogs on in the background

fun movie, gonna watch it properly though

kinda reminds me of pain & gain due to the comedy part

I was surprised by how much i didnt like Dunkirk. The first Nolan film I dont like. I saw it in IMAX today (real deal imax) and was bored out of my mind. I didnt give a shit about anyone or anything. It felt like a collection of scenes, over and over. It might as well have been a NatGeo special. There was no tension or excitement. By the time the 2nd ship sank I was tired of it.

Split on tthe other hand was fantastic. Even without the connection to a certain other movie, it's great on its own. Mcavoy was great, and i loved that they went all the way with the beast concept

I've not watched Dunkirk yet, but i already had my underwhelming Nolan experience with Interstellar and parts of The Dark Knight rises.

And Split was indeed fantastic.Just a well crafted Thriller by Shyamalan.James McAvoy has become one of my favourite actors.He was by far the best thing about Atomic Blonde recently.

Had war dogs on in the background

fun movie, gonna watch it properly though

kinda reminds me of pain & gain due to the comedy part

Both were tonally all over the place for me.Lots of unlikeable characters, not much to like overall.
Not to mention that every Michael Bay movie since Armageddon is at least 30-60mins too long

I also just watched Runaway Train with Jon Voight & Eric Roberts.I'd say it's a poor man's version of The Wages of Fear and that's a big compliment.A really nice Action-Drama.
I was flabbergasted that a movie of such quality was produced by motherfucking Cannon Films :D

Last edited:
I don't know why I've decided that I have to post this now, as I'm starving and about to go eat and that's no doubt influenced my decision not to bother @ing any of you, but following from my post acknowledging how embarrassingly out of the loop I've been with new movies, I'm officially going to catch myself up. I'm going to (try to) watch all Best Picture nominees (and some other random movies that standout for one reason or another) from 2011-2017. That might seem arbitrary, but 2009 was the last year where I was on top of new releases and had seen everything up for anything and then 2010 was when I started to fall off. From 2011 on, I saw almost nothing that wasn't a superhero movie or a movie from Tarantino, Nolan, or Sorkin.

The reason I'm posting this is because I wanted to ask you guys to pick a select few movies from 2011-2017 that weren't nominated for anything (in other words, aren't movies I'm already going to come across) but that you think I can't afford to miss.

What's that? Did somebody say something? I wasn't tagged so all I can hear are muffled requests for all the animated films from some set of years...

I don't know why I've decided that I have to post this now, as I'm starving and about to go eat and that's no doubt influenced my decision not to bother @ing any of you, but following from my post acknowledging how embarrassingly out of the loop I've been with new movies, I'm officially going to catch myself up. I'm going to (try to) watch all Best Picture nominees (and some other random movies that standout for one reason or another) from 2011-2017. That might seem arbitrary, but 2009 was the last year where I was on top of new releases and had seen everything up for anything and then 2010 was when I started to fall off. From 2011 on, I saw almost nothing that wasn't a superhero movie or a movie from Tarantino, Nolan, or Sorkin.

The reason I'm posting this is because I wanted to ask you guys to pick a select few movies from 2011-2017 that weren't nominated for anything (in other words, aren't movies I'm already going to come across) but that you think I can't afford to miss.

Those are some of my Best of those years that werent nominated at a major award show (Oscars,SAGs & the like)

Shame
A Separation

Seven Psychopaths
Killing them softly

Mud
A Place beyond the Pines
Side Effects

'71
Calvary
A walk among the Tombstones
A Most violent Year
Edge of Tomorrow

Embrace of the Serpent
Bone Tomahawk
Beasts of no Nation
The Gift

The Witch
10 Cloverfield Lane
Midnight Special
Sing Street
Green Room
The Neon Demon
The Handmaiden

Split
Get out
Logan

Last edited:
The first I thought of was The Handmaiden. I seem to recall Bullitt was not crazy about Oldboy, so this one might not be too appealing. They are not greatly dissimilar, but I think The Handmaiden is Chan-wook Park's most mature and fully realized film. It's my favorite of this decade for sure (haven't seen too many however) so consider this a second recommendation.

Also from KOQ24's list I'd second Shame, Green Room and The Witch.

Aside from those some others I liked were

Paterson
Bessie
Inherent Vice
Worm
Stoker
Only Lovers Left Alive
Tito on Ice
The Hunt
Goltzius and the Pelican Company (might be difficult to acquire)
Amour
Manborg
Killer Joe

I think I broke your rule because some of these had nominations at major award ceremonies. Amour won best foreign picture at the oscars. Bessie was a TV movie that won big at the emmys.

What's that? Did somebody say something? I wasn't tagged so all I can hear are muffled requests for all the animated films from some set of years...

GlumAptBactrian-small.gif

Actually, do you remember a long ass time ago recommending Hugo? That was the first one I tried to watch last night. I only made it 20 minutes. If Scorsese were to come out and say that Spielberg actually made that movie and he just put Scorsese's name in the credits as a prank, I wouldn't bat an eye. That neither looked, nor felt, nor sounded like a Scorsese movie. That's not to say that he's not allowed to make movies unless they're about Italians in New York, but Hugo went beyond exploring new territory into WTF land.

After that, I switched over to The Descendants. Pretty typical indie with nothing bad enough to make me regret watching it but nothing good enough to make me glad I watched it. It was just there.

Shame
A Separation

Saw Shame (not a fan of black Steve McQueen) but not A Separation.

Seven Psychopaths
Killing them softly

Haven't seen either one. Pretty sure @Sigh GunRanger wanted me to see Killing them Softly.

Mud
A Place beyond the Pines
Side Effects

Saw Mud (thought it could've been better but was still really good) but not the other two.

'71
Calvary
A Most violent Year
Edge of Tomorrow

Saw Edge of Tomorrow (loved that one) but not the others. In fact, I've never even heard of the first two.

Embrace of the Serpent
Bone Tomahawk
Beasts of no Nation
The Gift

Haven't seen any of these, though edco (RIP) recommended Bone Tomahawk around when it came out.

The Witch
10 Cloverfield Lane
Midnight Special
Sing Street
Green Room
The Neon Demon
The Handmaiden

Haven't seen any of these. Heard lots of good stuff about Green Room. And 10 Cloverfield Lane will be worth it if for no other reason for an excuse to rewatch Cloverfield :D

Split
Get out
Logan

Saw Logan (loved the fuck out of that one) but not the other two.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I seem to recall Bullitt was not crazy about Oldboy

giphy.gif

I think The Handmaiden is Chan-wook Park's most mature and fully realized film. It's my favorite of this decade for sure (haven't seen too many however) so consider this a second recommendation.

What about Stoker? His quasi-remake of Shadow of a Doubt? I see it on your recommendation list. It's been on my to-see list since I saw the first trailer, so I'm going to watch it regardless, but I'd be curious to know what you thought of it. That goes for you, too, KOQ.

As for your list: Other than the two Jarmusch ones, I haven't seen any of them. I haven't even heard of most of them. So thanks.

As a regular lurker I must seize the opportunity to assist one of the elder statesmen of this thread, so here are my recommendations:

2012:
The Hunt (should be right up your alley with Mikkelsen starring)
Goon (not sure if you like sports movies, check it out if there is time)

2013:
Prisoners (Villeneuve's movie, not sure if it was nominated, can't remember)
Daglicht aka Daylight (european drama/thriller)

2014:
What We Do in the Shadows (one of the finest comedies of the decade)
Filth (McAvoy is killing it)
Blue Ruin (this dude Saulnier's got some skills)

2015:
The Gift (was already recommended, I second that)
Turbo Kid (disclaimer: only watch if you like retro 80's type of movies)
The Invitation (best dinner party ever)

2016:
The Witch (words cannot describe the awesomeness)
The Wailing (even if you do not like asian cinema, this movie is full of symbolism and references, while at the same time mixing genres, from horror to comedy)
The Blackcoat's Daughter (damn I'm heavy on horror for this year, creepy atmospheric movie, directed by Norman Bates' son)
Green Room (this dude Saulnier's got some skills)
The Edge of Seventeen (for some reason I loved it, usually not a fan of these kind of movies)
would recommend some more for this year like Don't Breathe, The Autopsy of Jane Doe etc. but they are all horror/thriller films, it seems 2016 was great for this genre

2017:
Get Out (for me the hype was real)

Those are some of my Best of those years that werent nominated at a major award show (Oscars,SAGs & the like)

Shame
A Separation

Seven Psychopaths
Killing them softly

Mud
A Place beyond the Pines
Side Effects

'71
Calvary
A Most violent Year
Edge of Tomorrow

Embrace of the Serpent
Bone Tomahawk
Beasts of no Nation
The Gift

The Witch
10 Cloverfield Lane
Midnight Special
Sing Street
Green Room
The Neon Demon
The Handmaiden

Split
Get out
Logan

Great choices. I love Side Effects. Soderbergh with some modern-day Hitchcock type shit and one of the more likable Jude Law characters I can think of. Definitely a cool protagonist.

I think Get Out actually WILL be a nominated film. Weird year this year. Some of the seemingly sure things (Darkest Hour for instance which had all the pedigree) actually seem to have had a muted reception. Best picture field feels more wide open than usual.

You've got The Post, Dunkirk, Three Billboards, Lady Bird, Call Me By Your Name as the seemingly sure things but that leaves room for a crowd favorite that was very well reviewed like Get Out.

GlumAptBactrian-small.gif

Actually, do you remember a long ass time ago recommending Hugo? That was the first one I tried to watch last night. I only made it 20 minutes. If Scorsese were to come out and say that Spielberg actually made that movie and he just put Scorsese's name in the credits as a prank, I wouldn't bat an eye. That neither looked, nor felt, nor sounded like a Scorsese movie. That's not to say that he's not allowed to make movies unless they're about Italians in New York, but Hugo went beyond exploring new territory into WTF land.

After that, I switched over to The Descendants. Pretty typical indie with nothing bad enough to make me regret watching it but nothing good enough to make me glad I watched it. It was just there.

Saw Shame (not a fan of black Steve McQueen) but not A Separation.

Haven't seen either one. Pretty sure @Sigh GunRanger wanted me to see Killing them Softly.

Saw Mud (thought it could've been better but was still really good) but not the other two.

Saw Edge of Tomorrow (loved that one) but not the others. In fact, I've never even heard of the first two.

Haven't seen any of these, though edco (RIP) recommended Bone Tomahawk around when it came out.

Haven't seen any of these. Heard lots of good stuff about Green Room. And 10 Cloverfield Lane will be worth it if for no other reason for an excuse to rewatch Cloverfield :D

Saw Logan (loved the fuck out of that one) but not the other two.

Thanks for the recommendations.

giphy.gif

What about Stoker? His quasi-remake of Shadow of a Doubt? I see it on your recommendation list. It's been on my to-see list since I saw the first trailer, so I'm going to watch it regardless, but I'd be curious to know what you thought of it. That goes for you, too, KOQ.

As for your list: Other than the two Jarmusch ones, I haven't seen any of them. I haven't even heard of most of them. So thanks.

Stoker was bad in my opinion. Watchable, technically well made but poor just the same. Look, I'm willing to give strange films a chance. I kind of liked Nocturnal Animals even though it had some utterly shitty aspects to it and aggravated me at points throughout. But Stoker just was too strange and clinical for me. Couldn't get on board with any of the characters. Not scary or exciting enough for a thriller, not enough character or depth for an involving drama. Wasikowska is cool to me so I'll give a film she is in a view but that one left me distanced and disappointed.

Stoker was kinda fun.Hitchcock, but more schlock-y.
Although i'm a bigger fan of Park's Korean Films.

Great choices. I love Side Effects. Soderbergh with some modern-day Hitchcock type shit and one of the more likable Jude Law characters I can think of. Definitely a cool protagonist.

I think Get Out actually WILL be a nominated film. Weird year this year. Some of the seemingly sure things (Darkest Hour for instance which had all the pedigree) actually seem to have had a muted reception. Best picture field feels more wide open than usual.

You've got The Post, Dunkirk, Three Billboards, Lady Bird, Call Me By Your Name as the seemingly sure things but that leaves room for a crowd favorite that was very well reviewed like Get Out.

I'm way behind on 2017 Films, so my selection was limited.Dunkirk is about to be watched though.

As a regular lurker I must seize the opportunity to assist one of the elder statesmen of this thread, so here are my recommendations:

2012:
2013:
2014:
2015:
2016:
The Edge of Seventeen (for some reason I loved it, usually not a fan of these kind of movies)
would recommend some more for this year like Don't Breathe, The Autopsy of Jane Doe etc. but they are all horror/thriller films, it seems 2016 was great for this genre

I can recommend all those as well.

Last night I aborted two movies before settling into a third. First, I tried to watch The Big Wedding because (a) De Niro was the star, (b) it came out recently, and (c) it's on Netflix. But it was garbage. Then, I tried to watch Super 8. I loved both seasons of Stranger Things and figured I'd try Super 8 since it sounded similar. Suffice it to say, there's a reason everyone talks about Stranger Things and nobody talks about Super 8. Finally, I settled in with The Iceman. Michael Shannon was not surprisingly fantastic in the lead, but unfortunately the movie itself wasn't very good.

The hindrance was obviously the script. I had no clue what the hell the point of the movie was. Why did I watch this guy's story? What was I supposed to get out of it? Why did I see these moments from his life and not others? Everything in this movie was potential. Nothing was actualized. And that's always frustrating to me. I got a kick out of seeing Stephen Dorff show up as his locked up brother, but there was literally no point to his presence. Seeing Ray Liotta was cool, but he'd just randomly show up for a scene or two, then it was like his schedule kept him from coming back so they made some shit up to stall until he could come back. And WTF was up with his relationship with David Schwimmer's character? Moreover, WTF was up with David Schwimmer's character? And WTF was up with Shannon's relationship with Chris Evans' character? And WTF was up with Chris Evans' character?

It's too bad the cast was light years beyond the filmmaking crew. That movie could've been something special with the talent in front of the camera, if only there'd been more talent behind it.

As a regular lurker I must seize the opportunity to assist one of the elder statesmen of this thread

lx2Mrjt.gif

2012:
Goon (not sure if you like sports movies, check it out if there is time)

Haven't seen The Hunt, but it's definitely on my list. As is Charlie Countryman with him and Shia. And I've seen Goon, but I've yet to see the sequel, so I'll probably end up watching them both.

2013:
Daglicht aka Daylight (european drama/thriller)

Saw Prisoners (wasn't really a fan; SVU does that shit much better) but hadn't even heard of Daylight.

2014:

Hadn't heard of any of these.

2015:
The Gift (was already recommended, I second that)
Turbo Kid (disclaimer: only watch if you like retro 80's type of movies)

I'm skeptical about The Gift and have no intention of watching Turbo Kid, but The Invitation sounds cool.

2016:
The Witch (words cannot describe the awesomeness)
The Wailing (even if you do not like asian cinema, this movie is full of symbolism and references, while at the same time mixing genres, from horror to comedy)
The Blackcoat's Daughter (damn I'm heavy on horror for this year, creepy atmospheric movie, directed by Norman Bates' son)
Green Room (this dude Saulnier's got some skills)

Not watching The Edge of Seventeen (if I'm going to watch something like that, there has to be a person/people in the cast that I like; that movie has nothing and nobody going for it beyond Kyra Sedgwick, and even though I love The Closer, I don't love her enough to bother with that one) but I'll check out the others.

2017:
Get Out (for me the hype was real)

This will definitely be watched.

Stoker was bad in my opinion.
Stoker was kinda fun.Hitchcock, but more schlock-y.

My expectations are lower now, but I'm still eager to check it out.

Stoker was bad in my opinion. Watchable, technically well made but poor just the same. Look, I'm willing to give strange films a chance. I kind of liked Nocturnal Animals even though it had some utterly shitty aspects to it and aggravated me at points throughout. But Stoker just was too strange and clinical for me. Couldn't get on board with any of the characters. Not scary or exciting enough for a thriller, not enough character or depth for an involving drama. Wasikowska is cool to me so I'll give a film she is in a view but that one left me distanced and disappointed.

I've got your back on Nocturnal Animals.

Would also second A Separation, Blue Ruin, '71, and The Hunt.

I've got your back on Nocturnal Animals.

Would also second A Separation, Blue Ruin, '71, and The Hunt.

I'm worried Bullitt will watch the first minute or so of Nocturnal Animals and hate me for even mentioning the film...

You guys like The Last Jedi?

My favorite one since I first saw Empire. Also washed a lot of that TFA taste away for me.

Loved the execution of reversals. Without giving anything away, I think Rian really nails the fundamentals of set-up and consequence. It was a franchise film done right, and methinks will be a classic. Haven't read the main movie thread but looks from the polls that sherdog no likey in general. Makes me a little sad. Message of this thing was so on point. We could use more of that sort of thing. Will watch again.

You guys like The Last Jedi?

My favorite one since I first saw Empire. Also washed a lot of that TFA taste away for me.

Loved the execution of reversals. Without giving anything away, I think Rian really nails the fundamentals of set-up and consequence. It was a franchise film done right, and methinks will be a classic. Haven't read the main movie thread but looks from the polls that sherdog no likey in general. Makes me a little sad. Message of this thing was so on point. We could use more of that sort of thing. Will watch again.

You have to go to that main movie thread, man, as I think you will find some lively debate. You will be one of the few on the side of liking it. I personally found it to be quite entertaining, but several things bothered me. And they happened to be things that are being talked about in that thread ad nauseum. But yeah I'm amazed. Some people seem to truly hate it on Sherdog and I can't see why it would inspire that reaction at all. Some really solid stuff in the film. And visually, I was really impressed with some of the elements, particularly involving Rey on the Jedi island.

You have to go to that main movie thread, man, as I think you will find some lively debate. You will be one of the few on the side of liking it. I personally found it to be quite entertaining, but several things bothered me. And they happened to be things that are being talked about in that thread ad nauseum. But yeah I'm amazed. Some people seem to truly hate it on Sherdog and I can't see why it would inspire that reaction at all. Some really solid stuff in the film. And visually, I was really impressed with some of the elements, particularly involving Rey on the Jedi island.
Will dizzle at some point definitely.

Without reading I'm guessing that a lot of criticism has to do with how it flies in the face of the mythology? It can feel at times like it's telling you off for liking certain things about Star Wars in general (the authoritarian nature of being a hero, lineage and destiny etc.). Or maybe they just found it clunky (it isn't at all to me).

A lot of what the film is saying is what I try hard to live by, but suck at, because it's difficult to remember in moments when you feel you have disappointed people who respect you. Specifically, there's a line in there about how handing over lessons is done through ones mistakes that in the context of the story really choked me up; I had a quiet little fist pump to myself. I might even have had something in my eye during that entire scene.

LOL. This is going to go swimmingly.

hahah. I don't even think i'd recommend the movie per se since I had a lot of problems with it. BUt it'd certainly be interesting to hear Bullitt's take on it. That opening credits scene though. I feel like in this PC climate I can't even publicly complain about it, but my god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back