Serious Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Bullitt68, Dec 21, 2017.

1. ufcfan4

ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

I felt that it was greatness throughout the vast majority of its running time. The only segment that I thought wasn’t worthy of the rest of it was where we jump back in time and see Tatum and co’s gang arrive. Rest of the movie felt so awesome and that part just doesn’t gel in my opinion.

Goggins was fucking awesome in that film.

Well the whole cast really delivered big time. But he and JJL stood out for me. That scene where JJL sings to Russell and then with a wry grin on her face finishes it off with, “and you’ll be dead behind me John when I get to Mexico,” phenomenal stuff.

Bichir had me laughing at certain points with his exaggerated accent and delivery of certain lines.

Plus the Morricone score was excellent.

chickenluver likes this.
  2. chickenluver

chickenluver Bookmobile Driver

That's how I feel about Sally Hawkins lul

ufcfan4 likes this.
  3. ufcfan4

Hawkins was great. And, in reality, of the three roles, hers was the most difficult in that she had to convey as much as the other two without being able to vocalize anything.

Stacked category. Any one of those three could win and I’d be happy.

4. moreorless87

moreorless87 Under Your Skin

It does stand out as one of the first times I can remember when best actress is more of a talking point that best actor, ok maybe not Streep in The Post.

ufcfan4 likes this.
  5. Ricky13

Ricky13 You are who you choose to be.

I've tuned the awards out.

Saoirse is always good, though my favorite from there was Laurie Metcalf. I think they all suffered a bit from the taut script. Of the ones you mentioned, I likely had the most fun at the The Post.

Personal favorite this year was probably A Ghost Story. Raw, Get Out, The Last Jedi, T2: Trainspotting, Baby Driver and Colossal were the others up there. I imagine Phantom Thread will bust in there when I see it.

Missed so many this year I wish I'd seen.

ufcfan4 likes this.
  6. moreorless87

Yeah its much more the film I was hoping for one Django, again not to rag on that as its very enjoyable by its own standard but I expect more from Taraninto. Hateful Eight doesn't fall back to a simple revenge fantasy, nobodies a straight forward villain/hero and the whole story is much more interested and unpredictable for it.

chickenluver likes this.
  7. moreorless87

Finally got around to watching John Michael McDonagh first film The Guard, very enjoyable indeed and I suspect something a lot of Sherdoggers would love considering how high a reguard there is for his brothers In Bruges here. Its a bit slighter than that focused more on comedy but less so than War on Everyone and of course you have Brendan Gleeson in both.

8. Jeffry

Jeffry White Belt

What did you study for undergrad and what are you studying now for post grad?

9. Jeffry

Jeffry White Belt

You should watch the On Cinema Oscar Special that runs concurrently with the awards

10. europe1

europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You ain't slick, Black Panta! I'm on to you!

Nah but seriously did anyone else think that Cooper might have seen Cat People when they saw that scene?:D

Movie was pretty good, though. Usual Marvel fare but better excecuted than most. It had a good family drama dynamic going on. Michael B. Jordan was real good and got all the best lines. "Can you believe that? A kid from Oakland walking around believing in fairytales?" Really one of those little touches that electrify the moment.

ufcfan4 likes this.
  11. ufcfan4

Yeah I forgot about Robie. She was great. In any other year she might have a good shot.

You know it’s a stacked year in that category when Streep is the after thought.

12. moreorless87

Still haven't had a chance to see that but yeah she looks great from the trailers.

If Streep wins on the back of honestly rather obvious politics I'll be annoyed but then again I do tend to think best actress has an unfortunate tendency to be more "gimmicky" than best actor. Doesn't help either I'd say that you have a smaller field who tend to get consistently good roles, Blanchet should arguebly have won a second time for Carol, Portman a second time for Jackie and Marion Cotillard definitely for Two Days, One Night.

This year definitely benefits from best actress having much less "bait" choices.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  13. KOQ24

KOQ24 Gold Belt

Raw.
    I watched it once and i'll probably never watch it again.It's too weird and just not what i enjoy,kinda like Eraserhead or Naked Lunch.I think the Film lives more on shock value than anything.

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri.
    Really Good Film.McDormand & Rockwell deserve all the praise.
    McDonagh keeps the Escalation of the story at a good pace and inserts his typical crass Humor and he's oneof the best at writing dialogue in today's film.
    Though one of McDonaghs Problems is, his endings never really satisfy me.Three Billboards ends on the completely wrong scene for me.
    In Bruges & Seven Psychopaths had similar shortcomings.

Ingrid goes West.
    One of last year's most underrated Films.
    Aubrey Plaza was born to play that role.O' Shea Jackson seems to be a really talented actor and not just a one hit wonder (Straight outta Compton).
    It's just the right mix of good Comedy, good critique of social media culture and, while not necessarily accurate, a sympathetic portrayal of psychological disorder.
    It's easily in my Top 10 of 2017

14. Bullitt68

Bullitt68 Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

[​IMG]

Nolan and Sorkin are two of my top dogs, Dunkirk and Molly's Game are at the top of my "Movies I Missed That I've Got To See" list, and other than my friend who thinks Dunkirk is the greatest thing in the history of the world, all I'm getting from people on either is disappointment.

Depending on where you are in the process right now, you might not be able to appreciate this, but hear me when I say this: Cherish the research and writing process. Once you're done and you have to enter the bureaucracy arena and wade into academic politics, you'll be wishing you could be back alone with your work.

Then again, maybe I'm just saying that because I spend all my time now battling with my supervisors via e-mail over the facts that (a) Ayn Rand isn't the Devil and (b) poststructuralism is retarded garbage that no self-respecting intelligent person should consider to be anything more than retarded garbage.

I miss just reading stuff and watching stuff and writing stuff...

Film and film.

[​IMG]

Jeffry and Rimbaud82 like this.
  15. Rimbaud82

Rimbaud82 Brown Belt

[​IMG]

Ah, theory!!

{<redford}

Nice man, what was your dissertation on?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  16. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Brown Belt

How did I forget that Ted Danson and Paul Giamatti were in Saving Private Ryan?

17. Bullitt68

So Gary Oldman finally got his Oscar, huh?

I guess I've got another film to add to my must-see list along with Dunkirk and Molly's Game. I'm not trying to knock Oldman in the least, but his win was legit, right? It wasn't just a belated "career achievement" award, I hope.

That ain't theory, man. That's the type of nonsense that gives theory (and academia) a bad name. It's pseudo-intellectual garbage full of contradictions and equivocations to the point of being ludicrously self-refuting and ultimately self-defeating.

It's called "Screen of Vision: Ayn Rand and the Possibilities of an Objectivist Aesthetics of Cinema." To make a long, 200-plus-page story short, it's got four parts: (1) Introducing Objectivism with a focus on Rand's aesthetic philosophy for my own purposes in developing a new (Objectivist) philosophy of film criticism, (2) Critiquing poststructuralism in order to dig up the old philosophical foundation on which the discipline of film studies was originally built, (3) Laying a new foundation in the form of an Objectivist aesthetics of cinema, (4) Analyzing a film (I picked Bruce Lee's The Way of the Dragon because Bruce's philosophy is very easy to line up with Rand's and because, very simply, I knew it'd be useful to combine the "homework" of doing my PhD with the fun of dealing with Bruce Lee) as a way to build a critical structure atop the newly-laid Objectivist foundation to prove that, since it doesn't collapse, the new foundation is solid and more shit should be built on it.

Needless to say, since academia (and especially the humanities, and especially the branches of media studies and cultural studies, which is technically the department I'm in over here) is like 50-1 hardcore Marxist leftists who think that Ayn Rand is Satan, that "capitalism" is a four-letter word, and that the concept of "objectivity" is an illusion, my work isn't exactly winning me a lot of fans. But it's getting published, much to people's chagrin around here.

[​IMG]

Rimbaud82 likes this.
  18. Jeffry

Jeffry White Belt

I was rooting for William Dafoe

19. Rimbaud82

Rimbaud82 Brown Belt

Yeah I am not generally a fan, I have been subjected to a lot of that sort of shit this semester (from a different angle than film studies though). Particularly Derrida, in some cases there's a few interesting points made, but to me a lot of it just seems completely detached from reality. Some passages just makes me stop reading and walk away for a while:

<{hughesimpress}>

That sounds interesting mo chara. I checked out your article 'Philosophical Problems in Contemporary Art Criticism' on academia, I like that you don't pull any punches haha.

20. Bullitt68

What angle? Cultural studies or something?

Oh, it's absolutely detached from reality. The invalidation of the very concept of "reality" is the name of the game.

Of course, that doesn't stop them from crying when you make fun of their "theory" for being detached from reality or from making ridiculous self-refuting claims about how other theories are detached from reality with not the slightest self-awareness regarding the performative contradiction with what the fuck the concept of "reality" could possibly mean from within their dumb ass philosophical framework according to which the concept of "reality" is allegedly nothing more than a white/Western/patriarchal/misogynistic/heteronormative/Eurocentric/phallogocentric/insert other stupid made-up jargony type of "construct" wielded as an oppressive instrument of power.

[​IMG]

I always describe poststructuralists as schizophrenics and I always get shit for it (and only of the "Why do you have to be so mean?"/"That hurts my feelings" variety, never of the "That's not true and here's my counterargument refuting your claims" variety, which is quite telling) but I read this great quote the other day from a guy named Richard Harland (in his book Superstructuralism, which was a very early and groundbreaking attempt to make sense of this crap) who explicitly and convincingly argued that "meaning on the schizophrenic’s level is in precisely that state to which all poststructuralists aspire."

[​IMG]

Needless to say, I don't aspire to schizophrenia, nor do I think that any sane, self-respecting, intelligent person would/should, hence my contempt for the nonsense that is poststructuralism.

At this point, I've probably read more Derrida than the hardest of the hardcore Derrideans. And yeah, it can do that to you. I always end a Derrida reading session feeling like Butters:

I also always think of the exchange between Ray and Robert at 9:27 in the video below:

That's always what I say in my head when I stop reading some poststructuralist garbage: "It's nonsense talk; you have to close this book."

Haha, yeah, that's been my most popular publication by far. I think I've only had one publication crack 100 views on that site and that essay cracked 100 in no time at all and now after only two months I'm north of 500 views. I'd like to think it's people who have been starved for common sense in academia and who have long known themselves that the emperor has no clothes, but the cynic in me thinks it's people who clicked on it, noticed that it was published in an Ayn Rand journal (or, at best, read the abstract and noticed that it's rooted in the concept of objectivity), and instantly stopped reading :rolleyes:

If you think it's interesting, though, then yeah, I imagine you'd enjoy seeing Barthes and Derrida get a long overdue shellacking. If you have to write any papers dealing with poststructuralism, feel free to cite my essay. I'm sure it'll guarantee you the lowest grade that you can get :D

Also, if you ever want to shoot the shit about poststructuralism or any other of the many ills of academia, feel free to post something in the Jordan Peterson thread in The War Room. I've posted a ton of shit in there about poststructuralism and plenty of other academic craziness (I've also gone after Foucault in there, the final member who along with Barthes and Derrida makes up academia's Unholy Trinity) if you're interested.

Rimbaud82 likes this.