Movies Serious Movie Discussion

not go limp but just accepting the inevitable to me isn't as meaningful as actively choosing that path when there is an alternative one.

I understand, I just don't think one can inactively accept the inevitable ;)

Choice relies on determinism rather than threatening or being threatened by it.

I understand, I just don't think one can inactively accept the inevitable ;)

Choice relies on determinism rather than threatening or being threatened by it.
That's how the" story of your life" shortstory went, the character learned that every future choice, action you make and result is predetermined but in Arrival the screenwriter states it is not the case. Rather she is seeing a possible future that can be changed if she makes a different choice, not having the child that's not determinism. I don't believe anything is predetermined in reality either.

Last edited:
I eventually watched "The Shape of Water" and I really enjoyed it. But sadly, with most American movies, the Russian is really horrible in it. The pronunciation is so bad and almost cringe to listen to. Is it really difficult to hire Russian voice overs?

I saw The Greatest Showman and it was cringeworthy. I don’t have a problem with musicals(loved La La Land) and find the historical figure PT Barnum fascinating but this movie was terrible. Avoid it at all costs.

That's how the" story of your life" shortstory went, the character learned that every future choice, action you make and result is predetermined but in Arrival the screenwriter states it is not the case. Rather she is seeing a possible future that can be changed if she makes a different choice, not having the child that's not determinism. I don't believe anything is predetermined in reality either.

Nothing to say of course that the film and the book have to tell the same story, the classic example in sci fi being Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep that arguably reach opposite conclusions.

Honestly to me the film's take seems like a better one to me given the outline the story gives of her perception of time. Whats described is not that her character has knowledge of future events as she travels though time as normal but rather that her whole perception of time changes, she experiences her entire life at once. So she does have a choices BUT the choices and their outcomes happen at the same time, hence no paradox.

Last edited:
Saw the original Superman on the big screen at Alamo. Pretty awesome experience honestly. that opening credits sequence has to be one of the GOAT.

The movie itself is quite good. I love the stuff on Krypton. The Smallville sequence is good, leading to the even better Fortress of Solitude segment. And reeve is stellar both as Supes and Kent. I like how he changes his posture and intonation and just overall mannerism from one to the other.

My complaint would be that, for as serious as certain points are- Brando and the mother sending him off, Fortress of Solitude scene, etc- that grandiose element is undercut by soooo much Hackman/Beatty silliness. Both great actors and they are amusing, but it seriously is like watching a different movie at times.

They just really can’t get Luthor right on the big screen. Eisenberg’s interpretation was ridiculous, but Hackman really is not intimidating in the slightest despite the villain plot involving insane levels of destruction and death. The funny thing too is that Hackman is such a capable actor that he definitely could have played Luthor as charismatic and menacing, but it just wasn’t the way the character was written.

I don’t know if any of you guys watched the animated series when you were young, but I feel that Clancy Brown version should be the way Luthor is depicted in films.

Still obviously one of the better comic book adaptations overall in my opinion. Just a fun film.

Saw the original Superman on the big screen at Alamo. Pretty awesome experience honestly. that opening credits sequence has to be one of the GOAT.

The movie itself is quite good. I love the stuff on Krypton. The Smallville sequence is good, leading to the even better Fortress of Solitude segment. And reeve is stellar both as Supes and Kent. I like how he changes his posture and intonation and just overall mannerism from one to the other.

My complaint would be that, for as serious as certain points are- Brando and the mother sending him off, Fortress of Solitude scene, etc- that grandiose element is undercut by soooo much Hackman/Beatty silliness. Both great actors and they are amusing, but it seriously is like watching a different movie at times.

They just really can’t get Luthor right on the big screen. Eisenberg’s interpretation was ridiculous, but Hackman really is not intimidating in the slightest despite the villain plot involving insane levels of destruction and death. The funny thing too is that Hackman is such a capable actor that he definitely could have played Luthor as charismatic and menacing, but it just wasn’t the way the character was written.

I don’t know if any of you guys watched the animated series when you were young, but I feel that Clancy Brown version should be the way Luthor is depicted in films.

Still obviously one of the better comic book adaptations overall in my opinion. Just a fun film.

I'd agree there was always a bit of a disparity there although as you say Luthor was still entertaining plus I don't think the film really depends that heavily on him being a big threat, more on Superman dealing with the mess he causes. Donner was planning the sequel right from the start as well and I think his Luthor does work very well with Zod and co as a weasley hanger on.

Reeve is I think the only Superman actor who really sells the secret identity well, he still looks similar of course but the difference in performance is enough that its believable people don't see though it.

game night was damn funny. gave it an 8 due to lols (my only requirement in comedies)

game night was damn funny. gave it an 8 due to lols (my only requirement in comedies)

Great cast. Magnussen damn near stole the show for me but all the actors were well cast and funny. Plemmons’ delivery and creepy, flat affect were consistently hilarious.

I’ve always liked Bateman and he and McAdams were very likable and funny as the leads.

Definitely surprised me with how funny it was. Recommend it for sure.

I just watched Black Panther; I would give an 8/10. But the cgi in the final fight scene....... damn. It was almost unwatchable for me. I also lol'd when that guy called in the rhinos to fight, I don't know why. Was pretty good though.

I just watched Black Panther; I would give an 8/10. But the cgi in the final fight scene....... damn. It was almost unwatchable for me. I also lol'd when that guy called in the rhinos to fight, I don't know why. Was pretty good though.

I think its very dependnant on the lead actors, Boseman, Jordan and Serkis are all excellent and I think help cover some rather patchy visuals and ideas in places.

Just me but personally I would have liked to see Wakanda designed rather differently, more futurist and less tribal, have the latter influence still but make it more subtle in terms of designs and character looks.

Still need to watch it again at home before a final judgement Harry but yeah one of them for me, its definitely a harsh(if also very funny at points) watch, not so much as a horror but just in the viewpoint and conclusion.

Watched Hal Hartleys The Unbelievable Truth and Atom Egoyan's The Adjuster in the last couple of days and enjoyed both a lot, both felt rather Lynchian as well but in very different ways.

The Unbelievable Truth felt like an 80's brat pack film given a dose of Lynch deadpan comic surrealism playing up the typical US archytypes(the loner, the protective father, etc) as well as a bit of surrealism and some offbeat compositions. That makes it sound perhaps artier and darker than it is though, its still a pretty warm offbeat comedy/drama albeit with a bit more depth to the story than your typical bratpack film.

I was actually quite supprised how polished The Adjuster was, if anything it feels a bit like it pre-empts Lost Highway/Mullholland Drive era Lynch in the kind of atmospheric obtuse mystery it gives to the viewer. Perhaps a bit less overtly surreal and less in the way of Lynchs creeping dread replaces more with an more melancholic tone with an insurance adjuster who deals with the aftermath of fires so committed to his clients he sleeps with a lot of them whilst his wife works as censor and a rich couple of carry out strange sexual fantastys get involved. Like Exotica it definitely benefits a lot from Elias Koteas who is if anything better suited to this kind of film that Lynchs various leads for me.

It did kind of feel like watching two directors work who could potentially have filled the role Tarantino ultimately did as an indie figurehead but were rather too offbeat. Not watched any other Hartley films(probably will now) but I spose in Egoyan's case you could argue he's rather overlooked as he's not really been the face of his films since he hit the mainstream and they've tended to shift rather more towards the conventional.

Last edited:
Just me but personally I would have liked to see Wakanda designed rather differently, more futurist and less tribal,

The overly tribal get-up does drive home the fact though that this is a very socially conservative country with rigid social norms. A more futeristic design would also imply a more futesistic culture and way of looking at things. All that totemic design shows that they are tied to their roots -- which is good since the movie thematically is very much about a clash between the protagonists social moderism and the villians social radicallism.

have the latter influence still but make it more subtle in terms of designs and character looks.

Not sure it would synergize well with it being a pop-corn movie.

The overly tribal get-up does drive home the fact though that this is a very socially conservative country with rigid social norms. A more futeristic design would also imply a more futesistic culture and way of looking at things. All that totemic design shows that they are tied to their roots -- which is good since the movie thematically is very much about a clash between the protagonists social moderism and the villians social radicallism.

Not sure it would synergize well with it being a pop-corn movie.

The degree of influence though seems to be pushing things a little too much towards the cartoonish for me given the overall tone of the film(relative to something like Guardians of the Galaxy or Ragnarok) and honestly I found it a little demeaning to the concept, the idea that African culture was somehow innately so heavily tied to a pastoral past even as technology advanced.

Last edited:
Fell asleep for the first time in a movie theater. At 28 I am officially old.

Fell asleep for the first time in a movie theater. At 28 I am officially old.

Happened to me for the first time at 26. Namely, when I saw Spielberg’s Tintin.

Scarily happened more than once after that too but thankfully not in the past three years. Most notable was when I fell asleep about twenty minutes into amazing spider-man 2 in 2014 and woke up at the start of the end credits. It felt awful.

Definitely threw me for a loop. I remember my dad would take me to movies when I was a kid and he’d fall asleep during several of them and I’d wonder how that was possible in a loud theater with a compelling movie.

Now, I get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back