Movies Serious Movie Discussion

The Wailing was fucking amazing.
A really great Horror Thriller directed by Na Hong Jin (The Chaser, The Yellow Sea).
The last 45mins were really tense and keeps you constantly guessing and switch sides.
I love how the Film incorporated both new and old Religion in Korea.
And i'm still not sure if no animals were harmed in this.........
The girl actress, the guy who played the Shaman and Jun Kunimura are the standouts here.

It just sucks that only korean revenge Flicks seem to be able to gain traction with the film-watching populace because this deserved much more attention than The Villainess or Train to Busan.

@chickenluver @KOQ24 @Strange King

My short take on the film

This thread needs some action and be revived, I need my next batch of horror movies to watch (plus I need my lurking fix, I love reading different point's of view and discussion on horror films). So I will start.

Watched the Blackcoat's Daughter AKA February last night. I still cannot get it out of my head, this movie is a masterpiece. It’s a slow-burn movie directed by Oz Perkins (son of Anthony Perkins if I’m not mistaken). The cinematography, the atmosphere, the tension is so palpable it makes me feel uncomfortable just writing about it. We follow a story of three young girls, two of them stay in their boarding house over the holidays and one escaped a mental institution and things are about to get very unsettling. I will not say much more as I think it is best to go into the movie not knowing anything (although some might see where the whole movie is going, it is a little predictable and I was not surprised by the unfolding of the events, but I don’t think the “surprise” was the point of the film) and just enjoy the slow dread swallowing you whole. It is an exercise in patience but the end result is well worth the wait.

I know this is a subjective experience, I’ve seen plenty horror films, but this one just clicked with me. The disturbing imagery, interesting subject matter and the psychological deconstruction made this film one of my favorites in the last years. Plus all three leads (Emma Roberts, Kiernan Shipka, Lucy Boynton) are amazing in portraying their characters. If you liked the VVitch and The House of The Devil, I definitely recommend this film, if you like jump scares and fun avoid it like the plague.

In my opinion her "relationship" with the entity and her desire to make it come back to her, at least that is my interpretation of it, is a thing of beauty and stuck with me long after the movie was finished. The final reveal was a little predictable and not really necessary, but did not ruin the experience for me.

A really great Horror Thriller directed by Na Hong Jin (The Chaser, The Yellow Sea).
The last 45mins were really tense and keeps you constantly guessing and switch sides.
The girl actress, the guy who played the Shaman and Jun Kunimura are the standouts here.

It just sucks that only korean revenge Flicks seem to be able to gain traction with the film-watching populace because this deserved much more attention than The Villainess or Train to Busan.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but as you mention, the religious symbolism and myths really elevated it (the casting of stones, photographs taking your soul, arrival of a mysterious stranger). Plus the comic reliefs were amazing, the scene in the police station had me rolling on the floor (but to be honest, I would probably be shitting my pants also). Did you like the ending? Some people dislike the final reveal, I'm curious how you feel about it.

I watch Dr. Strange right now, it is a really cool film. The cgi is crazy.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but as you mention, the religious symbolism and myths really elevated it (the casting of stones, photographs taking your soul, arrival of a mysterious stranger). Plus the comic reliefs were amazing, the scene in the police station had me rolling on the floor (but to be honest, I would probably be shitting my pants also). Did you like the ending? Some people dislike the final reveal, I'm curious how you feel about it.[/QUOTE]

I loved it.
I find it refreshing that the Film is making you choose between 2 sides.
Similar to The Thing it makes you question who you should trust, the woman in white or the shaman.
It doesn't have a cheap twist.People were confused about the Shaman/Japanese man ritual that were overlayed, but if you pay enough attention, you see that both rituals have different goals.

Last edited:
I watch Dr. Strange right now, it is a really cool film. The cgi is crazy.

The visuals were really the main thing to recommend it I'd say, besides that it felt like the original(pre Guardians/Russo Brothers) Marvel formula that for me got a bit stale 5 years ago.

I just watched Shot Caller with Jaime Lannister and wow was that ever a pleasant surprise. I really, really enjoyed it. 8.5/10

wailing was pretty good

I just watched Shot Caller with Jaime Lannister and wow was that ever a pleasant surprise. I really, really enjoyed it. 8.5/10

I liked it but 8.5 is pretty high unless youre gonna give films like american me 10/10

Just watched "the Ritual" last night on Netflix.

started out very promising...but wraps up the ending like it was in a rush...

In my opinion her "relationship" with the entity and her desire to make it come back to her, at least that is my interpretation of it, is a thing of beauty and stuck with me long after the movie was finished.
Agreed. Unusual take on possession themed films.
The final reveal was a little predictable and not really necessary, but did not ruin the experience for me.
What do you count as the final reveal?
Her killing the parents in the car?
Plus the comic reliefs were amazing, the scene in the police station had me rolling on the floor (but to be honest, I would probably be shitting my pants also).
I thought there were several funny moments, mostly involving the dad. When the zombie lady was attacking him early on especially. It got pretty grim for the last 45 minutes though.
Did you like the ending? Some people dislike the final reveal, I'm curious how you feel about it.
I didn't really like that they showed the Japanese man physically transforming into a demon. It looked kind of silly to me lmao. Other than that I liked the ending. It was crazy when the shaman started throwing up when he got near the lady in white.
The visuals were really the main thing to recommend it I'd say, besides that it felt like the original(pre Guardians/Russo Brothers) Marvel formula that for me got a bit stale 5 years ago.
It did feel like a Phase 1 origin story in a lot of ways. I thought the film was pretty good overall. The visuals were creative as well as being technically well-executed. I particularly liked when Swinton sent him through the other dimensions.

I'm strangely invested in the academy award for best original music this year. I've seen 4 of 5 nominees, all of which have really good music.

The clear favorite to win is Alexandre Desplat for The Shape of Water. He's already won the golden globe, and Monsieur Desplat won the AA a few years back for The Grand Budapest Hotel. Plus the music itself is sufficiently whimsical for the academy.

An odd man out is Carter Burwell's Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. It's kind of a typical Hollywood soundtrack in some ways, except heavily featuring guitars, banjos, mandolins, etc. Certainly fits well with the setting of the film.

John Williams is of course a giant in the world of film music. Probably the greatest living legend after Morricone. I hated The Last Jedi, but the music was good as always. Williams already has 5 academy awards, so he probably doesn't care that much anymore. One issue is a lot of the tracks seem like they're variations on older Star Wars music, sometimes even featuring the same themes.

My favorite score from the year was from my favorite film of the year, Phantom Thread. The composer Jonny Greenwood has done PTA's last four films, and I feel he's outdone himself with this one. It is rather different from what he's done in the past, being very lush and romantic, meant to be evocative of the time and place where the film is set. His previous scores for PTA have been more avant-garde and anachronistic. I guess Greenwood is in some band called Radiohead?

I should see Dunkirk so I can compare the music.

Last edited:
It did feel like a Phase 1 origin story in a lot of ways. I thought the film was pretty good overall. The visuals were creative as well as being technically well-executed. I particularly liked when Swinton sent him through the other dimensions.

Certainly wasn't bad and I'd agree the visuals were interesting but I did feel it was lacking a bit of spark compared to a lot of other recent Marvel stuff that's tended to bring a bit more individuality.

Saw Shape of Water, certainly more ambitious than Del Toro's typical Hollywood blockbusters although I didn't feel it quite equalled something like Pan's Labyrinth. Sally Hawkins definitely deserves some Oscar buzz although the creature himself did feel a bit undersold to me in both introduction and personality, dare I say a bit too much use of practical effects that couldn't give the expressiveness of well done CGI in the face? Jackson's Kong comes to mind as of course does Gollum.

Sally Hawkins definitely deserves some Oscar buzz
As great as Frances McDormand was I'm rooting for Hawkins. She was so good and she's the underdog.
although the creature himself did feel a bit undersold to me in both introduction and personality, dare I say a bit too much use of practical effects that couldn't give the expressiveness of well done CGI in the face? Jackson's Kong comes to mind as of course does Gollum.
I hadn't thought of that but I agree. I guess maybe it could have been a creative choice to make it more animalistic? But you're right that it doen't have much of a personality.

I'm not sure she'll actually win as McDormand's role is more conventional Oscar fair(even if the film as a whole is less so) but yeah if Hawkin's won I'd have no problem with it as she really does prop up the film.

The romance as a two way thing felt a bit undersold to me but her character specifically was I felt far better than the kind of childlike twee you might expect(which is what had me worried before seeing the film). Actually having a rounded non helpless adult personality to her including of course making her sexuality active (without making it some kind of dysfunction as tends to be the way too often) was a pleasant supprize. Honestly if anything I think the film might have benefited from playing up that aspect more, Jerkin's character being closeted and run out of his career and Shannon's abusive undertones felt like they could have been mined for more drama to me.

Last edited:
Black Panther was good, but I preferred Ryan Coogler's last two films, Fruitvale Station and Creed, so in that sense it was a little disappointing.

I hope he doesn't get wrapped up in Black Panther 2 and 3 for the next several years.

What do you count as the final reveal?
Her killing the parents in the car?

Perhaps my wording was a little off, I meant the
realization that the Emma Stone character is an older Kiernan Shipka. I thought is was not meant as a twist and was predictable, but most of my friends didn't see it coming and didn't like it.

I thought there were several funny moments, mostly involving the dad. When the zombie lady was attacking him early on especially. It got pretty grim for the last 45 minutes though.

I didn't really like that they showed the Japanese man physically transforming into a demon. It looked kind of silly to me lmao. Other than that I liked the ending. It was crazy when the shaman started throwing up when he got near the lady in white.

The transformation and showing his true form was my only gripe with the movie, but I do not hold it against the film, just thought it could do without.

Perhaps my wording was a little off, I meant the
realization that the Emma Stone character is an older Kiernan Shipka. I thought is was not meant as a twist and was predictable, but most of my friends didn't see it coming and didn't like it.
Maybe the only flaw of the movie, if you want to call it that, is it wasn't sure if it wanted that to be a twist or not, so it didn't really commit one way or the other and tried to have it both ways? idk that could be an explanation of why some viewers think it's a twist and some don't.

Pretty forgettable 6/10 movie, but I enjoyed The Foreigner. Just the right amount of asskicking from 60 year old Jackie Chan.

Back