Serious Philosophy Discussion

Only had one PHL class (on Tolkien, and it was a wonderful class), but I saved most of my notes. Spent some time disliking Hegel and his ideas about art being spiritual and satisfying higher needs from higher impulses. I barely got out of the introduction.

"Man does this in order, as a free subject, to strip the external world of its inflexible foreignness and to enjoy in the shape of things only an external realization of himself. Even a child’s first impulse involves this practical alteration of external things ; a boy throws stones into the river and now marvels at the circles drawn in the water as an effect in which he gains an intuition of something that is his own doing."

This pisses me right the hell off. As a boy, I threw stones into the water and saw what the water did, not what I did to the water, as if I were externally realizing myself. I was more interested in how fish jumping would do the same thing, or a rock tumbling down the bank. I wasn't practically altering external things, I was part of it. I have objections like this to almost everything he says, and I find myself rejecting almost all of his presuppositions.

So not to out myself a some kind of wannabe-mystic

Too late :D

Cool stuff, though. I initially read it simply because there's a famous picture of Bruce Lee reading from it in his study, but you'd like Wing-tsit Chan's 1963 book A Source Book in Chinese Philosophy if you haven't read it. It's both a selection of bits from various Chinese texts from the ancient to the contemporary and a contextualization of/commentary on the texts, the authors, and the various intellectual/political contexts.

I have no problems with the use of paradox to make a point about the limits of human language in dealing with the Ultimate Reality. The philosophical argumentation is obviously key as well, but acts more like a step-ladder which eventually falls away, to borrow a Wittgenstenian metaphor [...] Of course I am not proposing that Daoist philosophy operates in the same manner as Wittgenstein either, it's obviously much looser and, obviously, less coherent since what we call Daoism is made up of all kinds of vaguely connected writings. It's not a systemic philosophy in terms of it's origins, but there is a lot of fascinating stuff there imo.

Wittgenstein showed up almost as much as Aristotle in what I was reading about philosophy between East and West. Aristotle was almost always brought up against Confucian backdrops, but Wittgenstein was everywhere. There's even a cool book on the Confucian side called Whose Tradition? Which Dao? Confucius and Wittgenstein on Moral Learning and Reflection.

Wittgenstein's one of my main men, so you know I like that reference ;)

Although there is a great article I cited in that essay comparing Eriugena and Wittgenstein, you might like that:

Joke Schakenbaad, ‘The Rational Mysticism of John Scottus Eriugena and Ludwig Wittgenstein’, in Willemien Otten & Michael I. Allen (eds.), Eriugena and Creation (Turnhout, 2014).

On the list now.

I find, from what I understand of it, Confucianism to be too stuffy, rigid and, well, you said, pragmatic compared to Daoism.

It's rigid in its standards - part and parcel of perfectionist philosophies like Aristotle's and Emerson's, it's unmistakably elitist even if its elitism is an elitism of character as opposed to an elitism of birth/blood - but flexible in its application.

thanks for the info,
I read Meditations in like H. Philosophy in undergrad, but I don't remember all of it i'll have to reread it again

Of all the explicitly theological thinkers I've read, Descartes is by far my favorite. He's one of the sharpest people out there IMO, and the exchanges in the Objections and Replies are fascinating.

Plus - and this is pure, unadulterated, unverifiable speculation if not sheer wishful thinking on my part - I have this theory that Descartes is the inverse of Kant: Whereas Kant is known as the Supremely Rational philosopher when really he was just another religious dude, Descartes is known as this devout philosopher who tried to reconcile reason and religion yet I suspect that Descartes was so traumatized by what happened to Galileo that his religion stuff is just him covering his ass. No clue how that could be proven, but I like to think that it's true.

Anyway, he's sharp as hell, the Meditations are a great (and, by philosophy standards, also an easy) read, and seeing the give-and-take between him and his contemporaries is like reading a 17th Century version of a forum debate :D

If you ever get a good discussion going where people are relying on their own arguments to debate a philosophical issue please tag me in. That's much more fun than a battle of academic citations.
Actually I don't disagree that this is an issue with academic philosophy. I've always studied it from outside the academy for that reason, and under the assumption that I could learn it successfully enough (for free) if I had the patience, literacy, and reasoning skills. As such I've got some breadth of knowledge about the different subfields, but few deep specializations (meaning I probably shouldn't be taking on @Bullitt68 about Kant right away lol).

And maybe this was a bit of a what-goes-in-comes-out situation, but I've come to consider the practice of philosophy - not just the study, but the day-to-day application of it - as something like truth-literacy. It's not about understanding a text, or about following some set of formulas to a conclusion, but combining those skills to decode (or at least infer) the truths of the world. Then those truths teach you how to live.

Anyone should be able to do that; and further, do it without needing to cite anyone else at all.

But at the same time you've got to realize that much smarter people have considered the same problems and made some decent progress it would be useful to know about.

I'm with Caveat. There is truth in the idea that's behind a joke once made by the film scholar David Bordwell at the expense of cultural studies scholars - that in response to an argument instead of coming back at you with a counterargument they come back at you with a Bibliography :rolleyes: - but those people suck. You can tell when someone is vomiting up a Bibliography and when someone is genuinely engaging with ideas and thinking their own way through the thoughts of others.

Communication is entirely based on the context in which it is given, for example the language that I use in a published journal article is completely different to that in which I teach undergrads, or even postgrads. One example is when I teach undergrads the difference between modernism and post modernism, in an art context, I use really basic examples and slowly introduce the terminology we use in the field. I start by discussing the difference between older Disney cartoons (modernism) with contemporary cartoons like Shrek (post modern). You may start off saying to students, hey notice how Shrek talks to the audience directly? Well that is known in film studies as breaking the fourth wall. It also exhibits a characteristic in postmodernism know as reflexivity....etc. But writing in a journal it is assumed everyone knows about reflexivity. It does not need to be outlined in simple terms but a more complex and nuanced approach with very specific language that at times can be complex or require a fair amount of prior knowledge.

giphy.gif

I explained Wittgenstein's position in On Certainty with respect to the nonsensical behavior patterns implied by the "logic" of skepticism with Family Guy :D

On this point, the coolest thing that I've found in teaching kids (by "kids" I mean 18-20 year olds) is that they're WAY more receptive to "high philosophy" than you'd think. It's all a matter of how you present it. The younger you are, and the farther outside of academia you are, the lower your bullshit threshold is, so you have to be able to give it to them straight. And, if you can, then their minds open up and expand right in front of you and it's not a big stretch to then introduce a specialized term here or there to nail down some ideas.

In defense of panpsychis; Yes. But to a lesser degree. Do individual neurons have consciousness like a human; no. But somehow there is an emergent property collectively. I’m not super onboard with this position but I do consider myself a dualist.

From what I was Googling, I thought that panpsychism is an alternative to dualism. Can you be in favor of both?

I’m sure there’s some glorification and mental carrots too, but Junzi’s virtuosity is determined by his relatioship to the society and the pursue social harmony, no? (Trying to reach back to stuff studied 20 years ago or so here.)

My answer to your question is: "Yes, but..." As I read it, Confucianism, like Platonism and Aristotelianism, isn't trying to be systematic like Kantianism or Objectivism, but it is trying to be comprehensive in the sense that it's meant to cover all the bases from the personal to the interpersonal to the social. So, yes, one's relationships to/in society and to/in the family are crucial, but not over and above or at the expense of the cultivation of character on the level of the individual. It starts from within the family and then you (are supposed to) become an individual. And a lot of the emphasis on family has been critiqued from the perspective of virtue ethics. But it all-too-often and all-too-easily gets reduced to a collectivist philosophy that's all about the family and about society and in which the individual is lost or nonexistent. It is about those things, but not only about those things.

I've got a Masters in History, but I specialize in Intellectual History of the Atlantic World. Historical methods can lead to a lot of interdisciplinary activities, so I've had to read a lot of political science, economics, anthropology, and criminology for my research. I've read Homi Bhabha, Foucault, Arendt, Barthes, Gramsci, Marx, Carl Schmitt, Jefferson, Hegel, Montesquieu, Walter Benjamin, Locke, Hobbes, Hobsbawm, Weber, Friedman (and a lot of critiques about him lol), Boaventura de Sousa Santos, Thomas Kuhn, Kant, Hans Mommsen, Abbe Sieyes, Bourdieu, Habermas, blah blah blah the pompous list can go on but I think the point has been made. I enjoy reading the names I included, despite the theoretical variety, because its fun. I dislike and I like things about most authors, but they all have some contribution to knowledge that should be analyzed to dispute or validate.

Welcome, Pupi, aka Rimbaud's new best friend :D

In Daoism, it is obviously very much about naturalness and effortless (ie. non-action or wu-wei) when things are done in harmony with the Dao.

This is also Confucianism 101. The difference, at least as I see it, is that Daoism leaves the relation between individual and world as some mystical "thing" that just "should be" and can "become" harmonious, whereas, in Confucianism, how to be in harmony with oneself and with the world is the explicit point of discussion. In his commentary on his translation of the Analects, Edward Slingerland describes this as "the paradox of wu-wei":

"The Master said, 'Is Goodness really so far away? If I simply desire Goodness, I will find that it is already here.'

Bao Xian elaborates, 'The Way of Goodness is not far – simply walk it and you will arrive there' [...] The purpose of this passage is to emphasize the importance of sincere commitment to the Way, but it seems to conflict with passages such as 8.7 ('the burden is heavy and the Way is long'), and is thus symptomatic of the so-called 'paradox of wu-wei' mentioned in the commentary to 4.6. For Confucius, the virtue of Goodness, as well as the power of Virtue that comes with it, can only be realized by one who truly loves them for their own sake. The point here in 7.30, however, seems to be that if one truly does love them, then one already has them – were a person to truly love Goodness in the same way that he loves to eat and drink, then the battle would be already won. This is no doubt the source of much of Confucius’ frustration with his current age (9.18, 9.24, 15.13), as well as with disciples such as Zai Wo, who presumably gives assent to the Confucian project but nonetheless lies sleeping in bed all day (5.10). The student cannot learn from the teacher unless he is passionately committed to learning, and this requires possessing a genuine love for the Confucian Way. The problem is that it is hard to see how the teacher can engender this sort of love in a student who lacks it."

Regarding the commentary to 4.6 to which he refers:

"The Master said, 'I have yet to meet a person who truly loved Goodness or hated a lack of Goodness. One who truly loved Goodness could not be surpassed, while one who truly hated a lack of Goodness would at least be able to act in a Good fashion, as he would not tolerate that which is not Good being associated with his person. Is there a person who can, for the space of a single day, simply devote his efforts to Goodness? I have never met anyone whose strength was insufficient for this task. Perhaps such a person exists, but I have yet to meet him.'

In 7.30 we read, 'Is Goodness really so far away? If I merely desire Goodness, I will find that Goodness is already here,' and in 9.30, 'I have yet to meet a man who loves Virtue as much as the pleasures of the flesh.' A bit of frustration is apparent in all of these passages: we all have the ability to be Good if we would simply love it as we should, but how can one instill this love in someone who does not already have it (or who loves the wrong things)? This problem comes again in 6.12, when the disappointing disciple Ran Qiu claims to love the Way but complains that he lacks the strength to pursue it. Confucius sharply rebukes him in words that echo 4.6: 'Those for whom it is genuinely a problem of insufficient strength end up collapsing somewhere along the Way. As for you, you deliberately draw the line.' This is the heart of a paradox that Confucius faced - we might refer to it as the 'paradox of wu-wei,' or the problem of how to consciously develop in oneself or instill in others genuine unselfconscious spontaneity - that will come up again and again in the Analects (cf. 5.10,7.34, 16.5)."

Confucianism basically takes the standpoint: In order to be good, one must do good, and it's by doing good that one becomes good, and the cultivation of character is the bulwark. How does Daoism account for harmonization, how does the individual "attain" wu-wei? Do they, in fact, leave it as an inexplicable mystery, or am I missing something?

All time low? Come on. That’s a bit much.

Have you not seen this? Granted, I'm not immortal and haven't lived through the entire history of the university, but if there's an era where academia was at a lower point, then, while I hesitate to ask, I will still ask you to prove it.

Confucius was not as rigid morally as some people mistakenly believe. There is a famous dialogue where he talks about a son who breaks the law and the moral duty of the state to punish him and the moral duty of a mother to lie to the authorities in order to protect her son. He understood that the right thing to do was situational and also depended on the intention.

Good point. This is the point on which Benjamin Constant tripped up Kant and his "it is a duty to tell the truth" bit and which necessitated Kant's writing his "On a Supposed Right to Lie from Philanthropy." This is also the problem with conceiving of ethics along the lines of rules and duties: It endeavors, implicitly or explicitly, to make ethics non-human, to remove from the equation choice and responsibility and to "relieve" us of the "burden" of thinking.

giphy.gif

Traleg Kyabgon (1955 - 2012), a Tibetan Buddhist Monk, explains that right and wrong come down to intention. He gives the example of killing and says that killing someone in order to protect one's family would not make killing wrong because the intention is to prevent serious harm to others. There is kind of a moral relativism because one has to consider the context and situation in order to determine if the action was right or wrong, but in most eastern thought having the intention of deliberately harming others is always wrong.

This is a tension that I think Rand resolved quite nicely in her writings on the meaning of the concept of "value," that it presupposes answers to the questions "Of value to whom and for what?" You're right, it's "relative," but in the sense that life isn't lived in a changeless and contextless vacuum. This is where the postmoderny notion of the "undecidable" runs off the rails: The fact that it's not always the case, across all contexts, that everything is identical does not mean that it's impossible to decide what one case is in one context. That's not how reality works - for as easy as it is these days to analogize minds and computers, if we were merely data processors then AI research would never have encountered the "frame" problem. Or is there a tech nerd reading this who can tell me what I'm missing here?

@Bullitt68 thank you for organizing this.

tumblr_oqigdpA2KU1vebxe7o1_500.gif

From my rudimentary investigation to date, personal favorites (contradictions aside) would be Plato, Frankl, Emerson, Locke, Hume, Bacon, Aquinas, Kierkegaard and -- more specific to law -- Blackstone, Holmes, Cardozo and Webster (if I find the courage I might post or PM my answer to a Holmes question from my 1L Con Law final).

Yay, another thumbs-up for Emerson! I fucking love that dude. If you haven't read Stanley Cavell, particularly his book Conditions Handsome and Unhandsome: The Constitution of Emersonian Perfectionism, then you're in for a treat.

I'd like to attempt Nietzsche and Descartes in the future.

Descartes rules. The Cambridge volumes of The Philosophical Writings of Descartes are great if you can get your hands on them, but the Discourse on the Method and the Meditations are great reads by themselves.

Nietzsche is a great critic of religion but his epistemology and his ethics are wonky (to put it kindly). I've said this before and I'll say it again, especially because of your fondness for Emerson: Everything good in Nietzsche was ripped off from, and is worse than what he ripped off from, Emerson, and nothing that's bad in Nietzsche is in Emerson.

Here's a post of mine from a while back elaborating on the Emerson/Nietzsche bit:

Nietzsche's connection to Schopenhauer is better known, not least because he wrote a book about it/him, but his connection to Emerson goes so much deeper. Emerson was the formative intellectual influence on Nietzsche. The contemporary American philosopher Stanley Cavell established himself in the later portion of his career (he actually just died recently) as the leading Emerson exegete and he went a long way towards identifying Nietzsche's specific sources of influence. For an example, here's a passage from an essay that Nietzsche wrote while he was in school which he titled "Fate and History":

"If it were possible for a strong will to overturn the world's entire past, we would join the ranks of self-sufficient gods, and world history would be no more to us than a dream-like enchantment of the self. The curtain falls, and man finds himself again like a child playing with worlds, a child who wakes at daybreak and with a laugh wipes from his brow all frightful dreams."

And now here's Emerson near the end of his essay titled "Fate":

"If we thought men were free in the sense that in a single exception one fantastical will could prevail over the law of things, it were all one as if a child's hand could pull down the sun ... If ... one could derange the order of nature, who would accept the gift of life?"

This example is also useful to identify the separation of Nietzsche from Emerson. In Emerson's text, he is discussing the wonder of Nature, what he terms "Beautiful Necessity," and he is in some sense pointing out how ridiculous it is for people to bitch about nature and to try to fight against that which is natural (leaving as an open issue the determination of what is natural and unchanging/unchangeable versus what is contingent and is open to be changed in the vein of the saying "Give me the serenity to accept the things I can't change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference," which Ayn Rand was actually fond of quoting as she emphasized the importance of distinguishing between "the metaphysically given" and "the man-made"). Nietzsche, by contrast, is in some sense expressing a wish to be able to change Nature, a wish to be, in himself, Beautiful Necessity, to be, as he puts it, a god. Emerson is seeking a mode of human being that is rational and that can harmonize with nature; Nietzsche is seeking a mode of superhuman being that is irrational and that can dictate nature (and it's a small step from that to the supremely irrational and immoral Will to Power).

For me, Cavell's biggest problem is that his philosophical "project" late in his career was to overcome what he conceived of as the academic repression of Emerson by way of a weird type of transitive property gambit where he tried to show mainstream academic philosophy what Nietzsche was saying - and everybody knows and uses Nietzsche, he's arguably supplanted Kant in the contemporary humanities as the key and most frequent reference point when it comes to modern philosophy - then show how it was derived from Emerson and then say: "If you like Nietzsche, and you acknowledge that this Nietzschean point is essentially Emersonian, then you should like Emerson."

The problem with that is that Emerson ultimately gets folded into Nietzsche, ultimately corrupted by Nietzsche. I think that it should go the other way: People should show what Emerson was saying and then, if relevant, point out where and why Nietzsche deviated from Emerson and where his deviation ultimately led him.

I hold a general aversion to most forms of postmodernism and relativism

giphy.gif

My hope is to one day be able to produce/apply/articulate my own philosophical legal reasoning on a level that even remotely approaches the talent of a Cardozo

"Legal reasoning," you say? Please give me a moment while I summon @jei so you two can nerd out on legal shit ;)

"For the first time in my life I saw the truth as it is set into song by so many poets, proclaimed as the final wisdom by so many thinkers. The truth – that Love is the ultimate and highest goal to which man can aspire. Then I grasped the meaning of the greatest secret that human poetry and human thought and belief have to impart: The salvation of man is through love and in love." - Frankl

Hmm. I'm hearing something of an echo of this in Rand's line from Atlas Shrugged about how "love is a response to our highest values."

"A man who becomes conscious of the responsibility he bears toward a human being who affectionately waits for him, or to an unfinished work, will never be able to throw away his life. He knows the why for his existence, and will be able to bear almost any how." - Frankl

This is a cool quote.

I have an exam tomorrow on Gadamer, so I have no time for this today.

Shit, I didn't have time for this today when I created this thread and spent all day posting in it. Where are your priorities? Sherdog should always come first :D

Could you precise the exact points of tensions you want to discuss ?

Ok. Here's your "homework" for this thread:

1) You said that Hicks' discussion of Medieval philosophy was "complete horseshit." We went back-and-forth and seemed to reach the following point: I say that Hicks' book isn't - and never purports to be - a nuanced history of Medieval philosophy which burrows into all the nooks and crannies of ten centuries of thinking; rather, I say that he looks merely to set up a general context that hits the major points. I'm not asking if you think that he thoroughly articulates all the nuances of this or that philosopher/philosophy to your satisfaction. My question is much simpler: Do you wish to deny even that the general context that he sets up is accurate and maintain that it is "complete horseshit"?

2) You said that his characterization of Kant as being "anti-reason" was in error. I explained in great detail with lots of references and quotes why it's not. If you maintain that it is, then, since I already made my argument, it's now your turn to make a counterargument if you feel like it.

The postmodernism stuff will probably just lead to needless bickering. You don't mind it; I hate it. We're going to clash. But, as far as our respective "positive projects" go, I don't think it's presumptuous to say that postmodernism isn't a big deal to either one of us, so we don't need to keep going down that road.

I look forward to digging up in my books and to be informed by you. I am not hostile to learning

My thoughts exactly. As Rand once expressed: "When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter. If I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will. One of us will win, but both will profit."

Whenever you have time to spar, I'll be here. And I'm sure we'll both profit.

dzut6f.jpg

I know I am not as intelligent as most of the philosophers who are referenced but.I do find that most of what I get exposed to is not new information to me--at least not something I have never thought about even if less fully and more clumsily.

This is why my favorite definition ever given of philosophy is Stanley Cavell's. He defined philosophy as "a willingness to think not about things other than what ordinary human beings think about, but rather to learn to think undistractedly about things that ordinary human beings cannot help thinking about, or anyway cannot help having occur to them."

Imagine if Goethe was alive to suffer the inane onslaught of postmodernism

“The scholastic philosophy had, by the frequent darkness and apparent uselessness of its subject matter, by its unseasonable application of a method in itself respectable, and by its too great extension over so many subjects, made itself foreign to the mass, unpalatable, and at last superfluous”

Oh, dude, we could go deep on the opinions previous thinkers would have of what passes for thinking today. My personal favorite is Descartes. He had absolutely zero patience for idiots and for bullshit. In his book On Deconstruction, Jonathan Culler wrote the following:

"[Deconstruction] cannot be brought together in a coherent synthesis. For this reason, it may not seem [valid] to many, who would argue that logic forbids [contradiction] ... The objection to this double procedure [invokes] ... physical and empirical inappropriateness. Deconstruction’s procedure is called 'sawing off the branch on which one is sitting.' This may be, in fact, an apt description of the activity, for though it is unusual and somewhat risky, it is manifestly something one can attempt. One can and may continue to sit on a branch while sawing it ... The question then becomes whether one will succeed in sawing it clear through, and where and how one might land ... If 'sawing off the branch on which one is sitting' seems foolhardy to men of common sense, it is not so for Nietzsche, Freud, Heidegger, and Derrida, for they suspect that if they fall there is no 'ground' to hit."

Centuries earlier, Descartes replied to Antoine Arnauld's objection that people "of only moderate intelligence" could do serious harm to themselves and others if they tried to adopt Descartes’ "free style of philosophizing which calls everything into doubt" by pointing out that "although fire and knives cannot be safely handled by careless people and children, no one thinks that this is a reason for doing without them." The "careless people and children" bit always gets me.

Pierre Gassendi raised a similar objection, to which Descartes replied more elaborately:

"When I said [in the Meditations] that the entire testimony of the senses should be regarded as uncertain and even as false, I was quite serious [...] When it is a question of organizing our life, [however], it would, of course, be foolish not to trust the senses, and the skeptics who neglected human affairs to the point where friends had to stop them falling off precipices deserved to be laughed at."

In short: Culler and his postmodern buddies deserve to be laughed at <45>

Talking philosophy is like playing chess and only using other players' established moves. Too many terms, references to schools of thought, and relying on someone else's words and arguments. At some point it's just regurgitation.
I want to participate in this thread, but I havent read any of these people. So I'm probably disqualified.

I want to participate in this thread, but I havent read any of these people. So I'm probably disqualified.

Close. I've read some of most of history's famous philosophers. Never cared to remember quotes and lingo, and enjoy the topics when people discuss them in their own words.

Well you can act like a poor unread chap with an inferority complex, or you could have just posted what it is you wanted contribute? If I you have some thoughts, ponderings, or insights I'm sure they would be welcomed.

Same for you @Cubo de Sangre, get a conversation rolling the way that you enjoy it then?

Cool stuff, though. I initially read it simply because there's a famous picture of Bruce Lee reading from it in his study, but you'd like Wing-tsit Chan's 1963 book A Source Book in Chinese Philosophy if you haven't read it. It's both a selection of bits from various Chinese texts from the ancient to the contemporary and a contextualization of/commentary on the texts, the authors, and the various intellectual/political contexts.

Wittgenstein showed up almost as much as Aristotle in what I was reading about philosophy between East and West. Aristotle was almost always brought up against Confucian backdrops, but Wittgenstein was everywhere. There's even a cool book on the Confucian side called Whose Tradition? Which Dao? Confucius and Wittgenstein on Moral Learning and Reflection.

On the list now.

It's rigid in its standards - part and parcel of perfectionist philosophies like Aristotle's and Emerson's, it's unmistakably elitist even if its elitism is an elitism of character as opposed to an elitism of birth/blood - but flexible in its application.

Of all the explicitly theological thinkers I've read, Descartes is by far my favorite. He's one of the sharpest people out there IMO, and the exchanges in the Objections and Replies are fascinating.

Plus - and this is pure, unadulterated, unverifiable speculation if not sheer wishful thinking on my part - I have this theory that Descartes is the inverse of Kant: Whereas Kant is known as the Supremely Rational philosopher when really he was just another religious dude, Descartes is known as this devout philosopher who tried to reconcile reason and religion yet I suspect that Descartes was so traumatized by what happened to Galileo that his religion stuff is just him covering his ass. No clue how that could be proven, but I like to think that it's true.

Anyway, he's sharp as hell, the Meditations are a great (and, by philosophy standards, also an easy) read, and seeing the give-and-take between him and his contemporaries is like reading a 17th Century version of a forum debate :D

I'm with Caveat. There is truth in the idea that's behind a joke once made by the film scholar David Bordwell at the expense of cultural studies scholars - that in response to an argument instead of coming back at you with a counterargument they come back at you with a Bibliography :rolleyes: - but those people suck. You can tell when someone is vomiting up a Bibliography and when someone is genuinely engaging with ideas and thinking their own way through the thoughts of others.

giphy.gif

I explained Wittgenstein's position in On Certainty with respect to the nonsensical behavior patterns implied by the "logic" of skepticism with Family Guy :D

On this point, the coolest thing that I've found in teaching kids (by "kids" I mean 18-20 year olds) is that they're WAY more receptive to "high philosophy" than you'd think. It's all a matter of how you present it. The younger you are, and the farther outside of academia you are, the lower your bullshit threshold is, so you have to be able to give it to them straight. And, if you can, then their minds open up and expand right in front of you and it's not a big stretch to then introduce a specialized term here or there to nail down some ideas.

From what I was Googling, I thought that panpsychism is an alternative to dualism. Can you be in favor of both?

My answer to your question is: "Yes, but..." As I read it, Confucianism, like Platonism and Aristotelianism, isn't trying to be systematic like Kantianism or Objectivism, but it is trying to be comprehensive in the sense that it's meant to cover all the bases from the personal to the interpersonal to the social. So, yes, one's relationships to/in society and to/in the family are crucial, but not over and above or at the expense of the cultivation of character on the level of the individual. It starts from within the family and then you (are supposed to) become an individual. And a lot of the emphasis on family has been critiqued from the perspective of virtue ethics. But it all-too-often and all-too-easily gets reduced to a collectivist philosophy that's all about the family and about society and in which the individual is lost or nonexistent. It is about those things, but not only about those things.

This is also Confucianism 101. The difference, at least as I see it, is that Daoism leaves the relation between individual and world as some mystical "thing" that just "should be" and can "become" harmonious, whereas, in Confucianism, how to be in harmony with oneself and with the world is the explicit point of discussion. In his commentary on his translation of the Analects, Edward Slingerland describes this as "the paradox of wu-wei":

"The Master said, 'Is Goodness really so far away? If I simply desire Goodness, I will find that it is already here.'

Bao Xian elaborates, 'The Way of Goodness is not far – simply walk it and you will arrive there' [...] The purpose of this passage is to emphasize the importance of sincere commitment to the Way, but it seems to conflict with passages such as 8.7 ('the burden is heavy and the Way is long'), and is thus symptomatic of the so-called 'paradox of wu-wei' mentioned in the commentary to 4.6. For Confucius, the virtue of Goodness, as well as the power of Virtue that comes with it, can only be realized by one who truly loves them for their own sake. The point here in 7.30, however, seems to be that if one truly does love them, then one already has them – were a person to truly love Goodness in the same way that he loves to eat and drink, then the battle would be already won. This is no doubt the source of much of Confucius’ frustration with his current age (9.18, 9.24, 15.13), as well as with disciples such as Zai Wo, who presumably gives assent to the Confucian project but nonetheless lies sleeping in bed all day (5.10). The student cannot learn from the teacher unless he is passionately committed to learning, and this requires possessing a genuine love for the Confucian Way. The problem is that it is hard to see how the teacher can engender this sort of love in a student who lacks it."

"The Master said, 'I have yet to meet a person who truly loved Goodness or hated a lack of Goodness. One who truly loved Goodness could not be surpassed, while one who truly hated a lack of Goodness would at least be able to act in a Good fashion, as he would not tolerate that which is not Good being associated with his person. Is there a person who can, for the space of a single day, simply devote his efforts to Goodness? I have never met anyone whose strength was insufficient for this task. Perhaps such a person exists, but I have yet to meet him.'

In 7.30 we read, 'Is Goodness really so far away? If I merely desire Goodness, I will find that Goodness is already here,' and in 9.30, 'I have yet to meet a man who loves Virtue as much as the pleasures of the flesh.' A bit of frustration is apparent in all of these passages: we all have the ability to be Good if we would simply love it as we should, but how can one instill this love in someone who does not already have it (or who loves the wrong things)? This problem comes again in 6.12, when the disappointing disciple Ran Qiu claims to love the Way but complains that he lacks the strength to pursue it. Confucius sharply rebukes him in words that echo 4.6: 'Those for whom it is genuinely a problem of insufficient strength end up collapsing somewhere along the Way. As for you, you deliberately draw the line.' This is the heart of a paradox that Confucius faced - we might refer to it as the 'paradox of wu-wei,' or the problem of how to consciously develop in oneself or instill in others genuine unselfconscious spontaneity - that will come up again and again in the Analects (cf. 5.10,7.34, 16.5)."

Confucianism basically takes the standpoint: In order to be good, one must do good, and it's by doing good that one becomes good, and the cultivation of character is the bulwark. How does Daoism account for harmonization, how does the individual "attain" wu-wei? Do they, in fact, leave it as an inexplicable mystery, or am I missing something?

Have you not seen this? Granted, I'm not immortal and haven't lived through the entire history of the university, but if there's an era where academia was at a lower point, then, while I hesitate to ask, I will still ask you to prove it.

Good point. This is the point on which Benjamin Constant tripped up Kant and his "it is a duty to tell the truth" bit and which necessitated Kant's writing his "On a Supposed Right to Lie from Philanthropy." This is also the problem with conceiving of ethics along the lines of rules and duties: It endeavors, implicitly or explicitly, to make ethics non-human, to remove from the equation choice and responsibility and to "relieve" us of the "burden" of thinking.

giphy.gif

This is a tension that I think Rand resolved quite nicely in her writings on the meaning of the concept of "value," that it presupposes answers to the questions "Of value to whom and for what?" You're right, it's "relative," but in the sense that life isn't lived in a changeless and contextless vacuum. This is where the postmoderny notion of the "undecidable" runs off the rails: The fact that it's not always the case, across all contexts, that everything is identical does not mean that it's impossible to decide what one case is in one context. That's not how reality works - for as easy as it is these days to analogize minds and computers, if we were merely data processors then AI research would never have encountered the "frame" problem. Or is there a tech nerd reading this who can tell me what I'm missing here?

Yay, another thumbs-up for Emerson! I fucking love that dude. If you haven't read Stanley Cavell, particularly his book Conditions Handsome and Unhandsome: The Constitution of Emersonian Perfectionism, then you're in for a treat.

Descartes rules. The Cambridge volumes of The Philosophical Writings of Descartes are great if you can get your hands on them, but the Discourse on the Method and the Meditations are great reads by themselves.

Nietzsche is a great critic of religion but his epistemology and his ethics are wonky (to put it kindly). I've said this before and I'll say it again, especially because of your fondness for Emerson: Everything good in Nietzsche was ripped off from, and is worse than what he ripped off from, Emerson, and nothing that's bad in Nietzsche is in Emerson.

Here's a post of mine from a while back elaborating on the Emerson/Nietzsche bit:

giphy.gif

"Legal reasoning," you say? Please give me a moment while I summon @jei so you two can nerd out on legal shit ;)

Hmm. I'm hearing something of an echo of this in Rand's line from Atlas Shrugged about how "love is a response to our highest values."

This is a cool quote.

Shit, I didn't have time for this today when I created this thread and spent all day posting in it. Where are your priorities? Sherdog should always come first :D

1) You said that Hicks' discussion of Medieval philosophy was "complete horseshit." We went back-and-forth and seemed to reach the following point: I say that Hicks' book isn't - and never purports to be - a nuanced history of Medieval philosophy which burrows into all the nooks and crannies of ten centuries of thinking; rather, I say that he looks merely to set up a general context that hits the major points. I'm not asking if you think that he thoroughly articulates all the nuances of this or that philosopher/philosophy to your satisfaction. My question is much simpler: Do you wish to deny even that the general context that he sets up is accurate and maintain that it is "complete horseshit"?

2) You said that his characterization of Kant as being "anti-reason" was in error. I explained in great detail with lots of references and quotes why it's not. If you maintain that it is, then, since I already made my argument, it's now your turn to make a counterargument if you feel like it.

The postmodernism stuff will probably just lead to needless bickering. You don't mind it; I hate it. We're going to clash. But, as far as our respective "positive projects" go, I don't think it's presumptuous to say that postmodernism isn't a big deal to either one of us, so we don't need to keep going down that road.

My thoughts exactly. As Rand once expressed: "When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter. If I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will. One of us will win, but both will profit."

dzut6f.jpg

This is why my favorite definition ever given of philosophy is Stanley Cavell's. He defined philosophy as "a willingness to think not about things other than what ordinary human beings think about, but rather to learn to think undistractedly about things that ordinary human beings cannot help thinking about, or anyway cannot help having occur to them."

Oh, dude, we could go deep on the opinions previous thinkers would have of what passes for thinking today. My personal favorite is Descartes. He had absolutely zero patience for idiots and for bullshit. In his book On Deconstruction, Jonathan Culler wrote the following:

"[Deconstruction] cannot be brought together in a coherent synthesis. For this reason, it may not seem [valid] to many, who would argue that logic forbids [contradiction] ... The objection to this double procedure [invokes] ... physical and empirical inappropriateness. Deconstruction’s procedure is called 'sawing off the branch on which one is sitting.' This may be, in fact, an apt description of the activity, for though it is unusual and somewhat risky, it is manifestly something one can attempt. One can and may continue to sit on a branch while sawing it ... The question then becomes whether one will succeed in sawing it clear through, and where and how one might land ... If 'sawing off the branch on which one is sitting' seems foolhardy to men of common sense, it is not so for Nietzsche, Freud, Heidegger, and Derrida, for they suspect that if they fall there is no 'ground' to hit."

Centuries earlier, Descartes replied to Antoine Arnauld's objection that people "of only moderate intelligence" could do serious harm to themselves and others if they tried to adopt Descartes’ "free style of philosophizing which calls everything into doubt" by pointing out that "although fire and knives cannot be safely handled by careless people and children, no one thinks that this is a reason for doing without them." The "careless people and children" bit always gets me.

Pierre Gassendi raised a similar objection, to which Descartes replied more elaborately:

"When I said [in the Meditations] that the entire testimony of the senses should be regarded as uncertain and even as false, I was quite serious [...] When it is a question of organizing our life, [however], it would, of course, be foolish not to trust the senses, and the skeptics who neglected human affairs to the point where friends had to stop them falling off precipices deserved to be laughed at."

I skipped all that to where it says "in short"

Also is this the longest single post in sherdog history?

On the list now.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This is a cool quote.

dzut6f.jpg

One thing that interests me more in philosophy is that some of them were also mystics and seeking to attain mystical experience. I find that to be profoundly interesting. Socrates and Plato I think were interested in this.

I align with this basic thrust as far as the reasons for entertaining philosophy as a form of purification for attaining to mystical experience.

That is why I have thought about most of the things that I have. Not so much out of an intellectual curiosity but more out of a concern for the right approach to life and the spiritual that will bring about the fullest mystic experience and allow that to be integrated into ordinary life.

Before I discovered that certain philosophers were approaching it from this place I had little respect for the whole field. But after gaining an interest I realized that philosophy has great merit on many levels even if divorced from questions about God and such.

Well you can act like a poor unread chap with an inferority complex, or you could have just posted what it is you wanted contribute? If I you have some thoughts, ponderings, or insights I'm sure they would be welcomed.

Same for you @Cubo de Sangre, get a conversation rolling the way that you enjoy it then?

I thought he was busting my balls, not speaking for himself.

One thing that interests me more in philosophy is that some of them were also mystics and seeking to attain mystical experience. I find that to be profoundly interesting. Socrates and Plato I think were interested in this.

I align with this basic thrust as far as the reasons for entertaining philosophy as a form of purification for attaining to mystical experience.

That is why I have thought about most of the things that I have. Not so much out of an intellectual curiosity but more out of a concern for the right approach to life and the spiritual that will bring about the fullest mystic experience and allow that to be integrated into ordinary life.

Before I discovered that certain philosophers were approaching it from this place I had little respect for the whole field. But after gaining an interest I realized that philosophy has great merit on many levels even if divorced from questions about God and such.

<mma4>

Interesting outlook, as I said in earlier posts mysticism interests me too. Though I wouldn't go so far as saying I only got into philosophy once I realised there was connections, in fact for me I'd say the reverse is true. But Im on my phone now so cant type much.

Ps. Check out Eriugena.

<mma4>

Interesting outlook, as I said in earlier posts mysticism interests me too. Though I wouldn't go so far as saying I only got into philosophy once I realised there was connections, in fact for me I'd say the reverse is true. But Im on my phone now so cant type much.

Mysticism has been the main thrust of my life for over 25 years now. I have plenty of experience in this area.

Mysticism has been the main thrust of my life for over 25 years now. I have plenty of experience in this area.

Thats cool that you have experience , I wasn't trying to teach you or anything mate. Just saying it was interesting.

Thats cool that you have experience , I wasn't trying to teach you or anything mate. Just saying it was interesting.

I got that man. I'm not trying too either! I just wanted you to know in case it would interest you to discuss that aspect of things.

Im on my phone too.

I got that man. I'm not trying too either! I just wanted you to know in case it would interest you to discuss that aspect of things.

Im on my phone too.

Oh yes for sure, once I can type more Id be glad to.

The link between mysticism and philosophy is an interesting concept and one could argue that the search for an understanding of life is mystical in that the philosopher, like the mystic or the religious scholar, seeks an elevated perception of this thing we call life. Much of Levinas' thought skirts the mystic and one could argue that for Levinas the 'face' of the Other is actually the 'face' of god in that it is a transcendent experience. He doesn't come outright and say it but the suggestion is definitely there. I didn't really pay much attention to his religious writings when doing my PhD as it wasn't really relevant to what I was doing.

How do you know? Not as small as neurons, but bacteria and other cellular life are propelled by a whip attached to a rotor. They can perform complex maneuvers and switch gears to reverse. The kind of actions you perform when driving a car, unless you're asian. Then you shouldn't be behind a steering wheel to begin with.

I feel intuitively that a neuron doesn’t have the consciousness to the degree of a human. But according to some panpsychist views they do have a degree of it.

And to answer your question on how do I know. I don’t.

On the list now.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This is a cool quote.

dzut6f.jpg

That depends. Spinoza had a view that nature was one substance (monism). But he also held the belief that nature was god. You can hold a view similar to this that is panpsychist friendly and not dualist because there is only one sort of thing under this view; god=nature

If you hold the view that the mind and body are separate but that all matter is conscious, then I guess youre a dualist panpsychist.

A interesting reply to Descartes dualist view of mind and matter is a letter to him by Cavendish I believe. Could be wrong philosopher but the letter addressed the paradoxical nature as is implied by Descartes belief that mind and matter are separate things that don't interact but somehow do. Causation. How can something that is not of matter move something that isnt? think of hitting a golf ball with your club.

I'm probably butchering some of this but the principles are there. A little busy atm so I can't fully delve into this right now. =(

I'll offer this. The story takes place in a lecture hall, with two professors on stage. One of the two professors had his lecture cut short and is being interrogated by four students.

Lies! Shao Lin shouted. Then she began a long lecture about the Big Bang Theory, remembering to splice in insightful critiques of the theory's extremely reactionary nature. But the freshness of the theory attracted the most intelligent of the four girls, who couldn't help but ask "time began with the singularity? So what was there before the singularity?"

"Nothing," professor Ye said, the way he would answer a question from any curious young person. He looked at her kindly. With his injuries and the tall iron hat, the motion was very difficult.

"Nothing? That's reactionary! Completely reactionary!" the frightened girl shouted. She turned to her mentor, a physicist named Shao Lin, who gladly came to her aid.

"The theory leaves open a place to be filled by God."

Shao nodded at the girl.

She raised her hand and pointed at Ye. "You're saying that God exists?"

"I don't know."

"What?"

"I'm saying I don't know. If by God you mean some kind of super-consciousness outside the universe, I don't know if it exists or not. Science has given no evidence either way." Actually, in this nightmarish moment, Ye was leaning towards believing that God did not exist.

This extremely reactionary statement caused a commotion in the crowd. Led by one of the Red Guards on stage, another tide of slogan shouting exploded.

"Down with the reactionary academic authority Ye Zhetai!"
"Down with all reactionary academic authorities!"
"Down with reactionary doctrines!"

Once the slogans died down, the girl shouted, "God does not exist. All religions are tools concocted by the ruling class to paralyze the spirit of the people!"

"That is a very one-sided view" Ye said, calmly.

The young Red Guard, embarrassed and angry, reached the conclusion that, against this dangerous enemy, all talk was useless. She picked up her belt and rushed at Ye, and her three companions followed. Ye was tall, and the four fourteen year olds had to swing their belts upward to reach his head, still held high. After a few strikes, the tall iron hat, which had protected him a little, fell off. The continuing barrage of strikes by the metal buckles finally made him fall down.

The young Red Guards, encouraged by their success, became even more devoted to this glorious struggle. They were fighting for faith, for ideals. They were intoxicated by the bright light cast on them by history, proud of their own bravery...

Two other students had finally had enough. "The chairman instructed us to rely on eloquence rather than violence!" They rushed over and pulled the four semicrazed girls off Ye.

But it was already too late. The physicist lay quietly on the ground, his eyes still open as blood oozed from his head. The frenzied crowd sank into silence. The only thing that moved was a thin stream of blood."

You can probably guess the period and place. Hard to imagine anyone considering the modern era worse than that.

And in the west:

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/uchistory/archives_exhibits/loyaltyoath/symposium/schrecker.html

Because few Americans knew much about communism, these professional anticommunists became the nation's experts. They had been hyping the evils of communism for years -- in Hoover's case, since the Russian Revolution -- and when the rest of the nation finally became concerned about communism -- in the late 1930s and then again during the Cold War -- the network's highly exaggerated vision of the red menace got very wide circulation. Had World War II not intervened, McCarthyism might well have taken hold at the end of the thirties when the Nazi-Soviet Pact destroyed the Popular Front and it turned Communists into pariahs and allowed the anticommunists to implement their program for eradicating communism and all the individuals, organizations, and ideas associated with it. Though America's wartime alliance with the Soviet Union aborted the budding red scare, all the machinery was in place before the war began. Anticommunist laws and loyalty oaths were on the books, HUAC was in operation, and the FBI had put much of the left under surveillance. Even before the fighting came to an end, Hoover and his allies were planning to resume the crusade. The advent of the Cold War brought the Truman administration -- and then the rest of the nation -- on board.

But not right away.

Both in the academy and elsewhere, it took several years for the witch hunt to develop. From Harvard to Hollywood, the process followed the same trajectory -- from initial tolerance for dissent and hesitations about violating people's civil liberties to the conviction that Communists were so uniquely dangerous that their rights could be ignored. And from a narrow definition of the communist menace to a broader one.

Also is this the longest single post in sherdog history?

Not even close.

ExhaustedTightAlpinegoat-size_restricted.gif

I wouldn't want to invoke the mystical or the spiritual myself, but I'm with you here generally speaking. I'm especially with you on the idea of being concerned with "the right approach to life." How that isn't every individual's primary concern I'll never understand.

A interesting reply to Descartes dualist view of mind and matter is a letter to him by Cavendish I believe. Could be wrong philosopher but the letter addressed the paradoxical nature as is implied by Descartes belief that mind and matter are separate things that don't interact but somehow do. Causation. How can something that is not of matter move something that isnt? think of hitting a golf ball with your club.

I'm probably butchering some of this but the principles are there. A little busy atm so I can't fully delve into this right now. =(

Nope, you've got the right name and the right synopsis. This is exactly their back-and-forth over the mind/body problem.

I'll offer this.

This is my fault. I should've clarified that, in saying that academia is at an all time low, I meant intellectually, not politically. You're right: Even though we seem to be inching closer and closer to an academic climate reminiscent of those stories, that's not where we are. However, across the board, I think that the kind and quality of scholarship being produced is worse than ever. Would you agree with that at least?

I've always been fascinated by the concept of psychological egoism, first proposed by Jeremy Bentham IIRC. The TLDR version is people are always motivated by appetites or aversions, in anything they do.

Its main critique being propensity for circular logic, but it generally holds up IMO

Not even close.

ExhaustedTightAlpinegoat-size_restricted.gif

I wouldn't want to invoke the mystical or the spiritual myself, but I'm with you here generally speaking. I'm especially with you on the idea of being concerned with "the right approach to life." How that isn't every individual's primary concern I'll never understand.

Nope, you've got the right name and the right synopsis. This is exactly their back-and-forth over the mind/body problem.

This is my fault. I should've clarified that, in saying that academia is at an all time low, I meant intellectually, not politically. You're right: Even though we seem to be inching closer and closer to an academic climate reminiscent of those stories, that's not where we are. However, across the board, I think that the kind and quality of scholarship being produced is worse than ever. Would you agree with that at least?

I don’t know enough about what is being produced today to speak to that. I’m not an academic and graduated a decade ago. I’ll take your word for it.

The only halfway interesting thing I can say on this subject comes from applying a bit of Werner Herzog.

Have you seen “Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World” ?

From that documentary to what I’m reading here (which seems to echo mainstream discontent around modern academia) it looks like they're opening up some silly new realms of inquiry in the humanities that will probably, eventually, go extinct. But, as per my man Werner, we’re also in an era of historically high literacy rates, enormous populations and an almost unbelievable level of access to information.

Perhaps we just need to let the academy get used to a new social, cultural, and everything else, paradigm - and then judge the academy in this era against other eras that featured revolutionary change.

It seems fair to ask how we’re doing compared to “the academy” when the printing press was invented, or when we started to use telegraph machines, rather than to compare us to recent eras of relative technological stability.

Last edited:
I recently took a political theory course over the summer which lead me to what would be my favourite book of all time. Machiavelli's Prince.

Growing up in a broken, fatherless home i always gravitated to the more practical applications that can be had from philosophy and something that's akin to fatherly advice. Naturally stoicism is my favorite branch of philosophy but by far this book was perfect in every conceivable way for me.

I became obsessed with his ideas about virtu and Fortuna. The idea that fortune (chance) is a woman that favors the young and her having to be subdued by virtu, this situational virtue that allows someone to bend objective reality to their will. I always loved philosophy but this was the first time it really hit me hard. The ideas in that book really resonated with that tormented kid I used to be that still lives inside of me.

The other thing I love about the book is that it's really about our true nature as humans. If the ends are good enough the means are almost always justifiable. Vice is a tool we use in the accumulation of resource and we as people will use It with a smile on our face of the ends call for it.

Back